Dead skin and advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscavell

Reaction score
Hi all

For years Ive had really itchy legs (and not just when I have hair growing back). Basically my legs arent particularly dry but when I scratch its almost like dust flying everywhere and gets under my nails.
Its worse in the summer (I guess due to heat), there are no rashes or other signs of a reaction on the skin.
I moisturise everyday but nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions, advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

If there's dust flying everywhere then you are shedding dead skin cells, which could mean you have some sort of contact dermatitis/eczema/psoriasis or that you have very dry or dehydrated skin which can also be itchy. I would first go to the doctor & check it's not the former, and if it's the latter then do you exfoliate your legs at all?

Hi
Yes I exfoliate once a week (maily because Im trying to avoid ingrown hairs). The only place I get eczema is on my arms.

Does sound like more of a medical type of condition as Martin says than just your run of the mill dry skin.Thats not to say a good professional moisturiser wouldn't help.I presume you may have tried all the usual over the counter or prescribed moisturisers ..oilatum,emulsiderm etc the usual ones for eczema sufferers.
Have a look at your diet,maybe you could do with a fish oil supplement.If you eat a very low fat diet ,dry skin can sometimes be a problem.
Vegetable oil based products penetrate the skin much better than mineral oils so look for these.

Hi

Yeah tried E45 etc etc even tried baby oil on the skin before moisturising.
I was told as a child that it was something to do with a reaction to my dog, since shes been gone for 10 years I seriously doubt that was it.
The doctors have done tests before but nothings come out of it.

Latest posts

Back