Dealing with a boss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layercaeks

Reaction score
My boss has some issues at the moment that are causing me issues;
- I am being blamed for requested appointments being moved because my boss keeps moving them. I saw him do it and kept my mouth shut for over a week with it.
- My boss is shortening full head foils for long hair from 1.25 hours to 45 mins and the processing time from 45 mins to 30 mins and a blow wave (even if its a difficult client) from 30 mins to 15 just because he wants to squeeze in more clients. I was told we are only allowed to to reduce the entire service by 15 minutes if we need to fit something in.
- We had a client last night that was getting extensions done but no color in between. So I had about 20 minutes to de-tape and re-tape a thick head of tapes. I would usually be able to do it because I am really quick with them. But during that time my boss made me shampoo 2 clients (because he doesn't like getting his hands wet. his words) and finish a straitening service (I haven't started school yet so all my training is in salon as of yet and the client actually coached me through how to it. I didn't ask but it was so unprofessional) and then I was possibly having to do a mens colour. Luckily the extensions were booked in wrong (by my boss again) and so the girl had 45 minutes of processing time after her blow wave. I managed to get the extensions done but I loss track of colour bowls, dishes, cleaning the salon and towels.
- Our dryer broke the other week. The dryer guy came out. It costs $99 for him to come out +up to 30 mins of work. I explained what the dryer was doing and how there was a lot of hair in a filter in the back so he pulled off the entire back with the knowledge I gave him and found this issue easily. Part of the dryer had wore to the point on non existence. This took all up 10 minutes. It was cheaper to buy a new one so we decided not to fix it. When the guy came to collect his pay my boss bitched him out saying his company was a rip off coz he was there for 5 minutes. This guy did his job and knew what was wrong.

We had a few tears last night in our salon after he left because he is over working us, disappearing, yelling at the stylists (he's sucking up to me a little though). We're losing clientele and are trying to keep this salon afloat. I don't want to leave because two of the other girls and I are putting in so much effort to keep this salon going but we are lost for what to do or how to even approach our boss.

1 thing that has worked well in my past for dealing with negative bosses is to ask he/she if you could have a chat after work 1 day & bring a mediator either another peer stylist whom is good @ keeping it cool in heated situations or even a good friend whom possesses these calm qualities in heated communications.

Explain the reality as you & your fellow co-workers need sufficient time to complete services to produce the best outcome & you feel that rushing time for services yields mediocre-poorer quality work. In the long run, clients spread the word of low-average hair services which give the whole shop a bad name. Stressful work environments are also a cause for poor rep. from clients as they pick up on it easily. No one deserves to be belittled,yelled at or have attention brought publicly to miss understandings or protocol miss step! Suggest a staff meeting & make everyone a chamomile tea! Do not speak to him/her alone though the mediator is shop term for "witness"!

If it's not worth it or to freaky to approach your boss, grin & bare it, put your cell# & e-mail on some business cards, cycle through your regulars in 2-3 months & Get the $*%k outta that garbage! Shop around for a new shop even with a co-stylist or two, look for work as a package deal in a new shop that's newer or not looking so busy! They would love to have you & your clients!

Go for commission or rental not wage pay......this gives you rights to way more freedom! Good luck!!

There has actually been talk of a walk out. 2 out of 4 want to leave. I want to give the salon a chance till the end of the year. My boss is having personal issues and I am hoping things will calm down soon but still. I feel like he is abusing his seniors.

He did something nasty to me that I wont go into but it was a huge betrayal. And he is sucking up to me big time over it. But he is yelling/telling off/belittling everyone else. I am a first year and dont have clientel as of yet. But the other girls do.

One of the girls has been working herself to death while my boss was dealing with out of work issues is being told off for everything wrong in the salon. He is claiming he is training her as a manager. But he isnt paying her as a manager.

I think I will give it till Christmas before I throw in the towel. Also one does not make a meeting with the boss as he cancles them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you don't like how he chooses to run HIS business, then leave.

Why would you choose to put yourself through that? Sounds like you have battered syndrome, you don't like the abuse but you stay anyway? Why would you stay in that environment ? It's not good for you. He betrayed you and you stay? From where I am sitting, cut your loses and leave. You need to be cheerful for clients and you can't possibly be with those things going on 😞

Hugs to you I hope you get to a better place!

On the flip side you might be writhing this, if it was him writting it he might be writing he has a difficult stylist. He's trying to cut timings down to bring in more money and all his staff do is moan and get together to plan walks outs. He might be trying to push you out.

On the staged walk out business- I find one will leave the others won't follow.

I disliked my last job, we all did, instead of moaning I said I was leaving- I did- where are the others? Still there of course.

Hang on, I've just read you arent even trained yet?? And your getting yourself involved in a business like this?

If you don't like how he chooses to run HIS business, then leave.
It's a lot more complicated then that. I am in a position where I need a job. And he has only just started doing this due to personal issues. He is taking things out on the stylists.

Why would you choose to put yourself through that? Sounds like you have battered syndrome, you don't like the abuse but you stay anyway? Why would you stay in that environment ? It's not good for you. He betrayed you and you stay? From where I am sitting, cut your loses and leave. You need to be cheerful for clients and you can't possibly be with those things going on 😞

Hugs to you I hope you get to a better place!
Basically my boss has screwed up really big. I can't go into detail but he's put us all in a scary position.

The main reason I don't want to quit is I genuinely like my colleges and the salon. This is a new issue and I loved the salon beforehand. The last few weeks are just taking a toll on everyone.

On the flip side you might be writhing this, if it was him writting it he might be writing he has a difficult stylist. He's trying to cut timings down to bring in more money and all his staff do is moan and get together to plan walks outs. He might be trying to push you out.

On the staged walk out business- I find one will leave the others won't follow.

I disliked my last job, we all did, instead of moaning I said I was leaving- I did- where are the others? Still there of course.
Actually I don't think he'd say that at all. Me and one of the other stylists refuse to do a walk out. If we were to leave (which we can't really) we would give our 2 weeks notice. One of the stylists is putting her "all" into the salon. My boss basically said that he needed her to do his blow wave when her client was about to walk in the door and she explained that she needed to do that service and he claimed she wasn't a team player because he wanted to leave early. He's basically emotionally abusing the poor girl.

Also don't get me wrong. I do love my job. This issue is fairly new. My boss is having a midlife crisis. We had a fairly reputable stylist visit us and he saw how low our retail is. He decided to give the stylists a lesson in retail and what he was saying was pretty interesting. He asked us when we should introduce retail and my boss said "during consoltation" and when he said that was a bad idea my boss said for him to "F#ck off" with a big smile upon his face. I thought it was so disrespectful. The stylist continued on and my boss refuses to try their way.

My boss is being really nice to me though. I don't understand why but I'm not in his firing line which is unusual for an apprentice.

One of the stylists is a huge issue in the salon. She seems to be feeding off the drama and trying to fuel the fire. She is dropping comments here and there and I'm pretty sure she is trying to sabotage the salon. She seems to be trying to get the girls to fight and get everyone to turn on the boss. It was her idea about the walk out.

I know my boss isn't the only problem in the salon. Our salon is filled with chaos. Myself and two of the stylists are trying to build ourselves into a controlled team. This doesn't include the boss or the other stylist as things are pretty manic.

He is trying to push in more clients and has even been giving me mens colours (I have no training in them) because he went crazy and stopped coming into work which caused us to lose about 30% of our clientele.
Hang on, I've just read you arent even trained yet?? And your getting yourself involved in a business like this?
I haven't even been sent to school yet and my boss is complaining because I'm not up to scratch with my blow waves. I'm barely allowed to bring in training models due to him needing me to shampoo. Which in some cases is fair enough but when the other apprentice has five training models a day it hardly seems fair.

Literally 2 months ago this salon was an amazing place to be. So I hope this is just a phase but I don't know. I think if things don't fix up by Christmas I'll have to quit.

Sounds like too much drama. You will always be waiting for Christmas. Then when them comes you'll wait for the next one. Before you know it you'll be there 10years and still moaning.

Sounds like too much drama. You will always be waiting for Christmas. Then when them comes you'll wait for the next one. Before you know it you'll be there 10years and still moaning.

Maybe but I figure if I wait it out I couls at least have a goof refference. I figure its busy from now till the start of the year so I wont be leaving on a bad leg. And if other staff are leaving then at least a few members are there to train the new staff in the works of the salon. See I know my boss has issues but there are issues in the team. The stylists are all being best friends and bitching about each other. I am probably the only one who doesnt do this and they are quickly learning this.

Can I have a magic wand to fix things?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back