Debate on sun safety continues to blaze

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hat

Reaction score
Thanks to a new report, the dispute over government advice relating to exposure to the sun has erupted once again.

Oliver Gillie of the Health Research Forum submitted his peer-reviewed report entitled Sunlight Robbery, detailing why covering up in the sun is a mistake. In it he criticised UK government advice which states that people should ‘cover up, keep in the shade’ – a recommendation he claims was mistakenly modelled on a programme developed in Australia where the climate provides much larger doses of vitamin D.

“It is very difficult for anyone living in the UK to get enough vitamin D from the sun to provide them with the optimum blood level that will last through the winter,” the report outlines.

Some sections of the professional beauty industry have welcomed the report. Gary Lipman, Chairman of The Sunbed Association, insists responsible sunbed use is the answer to vitamin D deficiency. “A few minutes 2-3 times a week on a sunbed has long been known and recommended by international experts as a viable way of securing and maintaining adequate vitamin D levels.”

Attachments

• images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 64
WTF hasn't he heard of vitamin supplemnts how can he possibly reccomend sunbeds being good for you... Never mind the risk of skin cancer or the toll it takes on your skin!!

I know, you could just by vitamin D tabs

But sunbeds are good for you. In moderation. There is scientific evidence to support the fact that UV exposure, be it from a sunbed or the sun, is very beneficial for people with sever cases of psoriasis, and those suffering with S.A.D

Plus the UV rays dont wreak havoc with your skin unless you're not wearing any protection. In fact UVB is essential for the production of Vitamin D, as we cannot produce it ourselves, which then allows for skin repair, hair growth and nail growth

Also, it's UVA rays that are the main cause of malignant melanoma, and its actually very hard to find an SPF that provides protection against these rays as they penetrate deeper than UVB rays, and many only provide protection against UVB

I dont understand why people are so against the use of sunbeds, because if there was a legislation in place and the right training made mandatory for anyone wanting to open up a sunbed shop, then there wouldnt be such bad press. It's the industry we're in thats to blame in my opinion because what legislation is there stopping anyone opening up a sunbed shop without a qualification???

I agree that it works for psyriosis, my mum has the condition and it seems to help her. Also I suffered with SAD and use of a sunbed combined with an LED SAD lamp helped me no end. Would point out my sunbed is much less powerful than those in sunbed shops but would not recommend for tanning purposes or excessive use for obvious reasons and as said before supplements are available, so unless you have the conditions mentioned I would go down the vitamin route!

Latest posts

Back