Disillusioned with the state of the Nail Industry? - here's one for us ALL to debate!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Before I start this thread I would like to lay down a few ground rules. I know that it is going to be a controversial one (I've never been afraid to be the one to kick of controversy) and some may not like what I say (maybe it hits a raw nerve?) and for that I actually make no apology. It is not aimed to offend, but it is aimed to get a response! :Grope:

HOWEVER, this thread is not about tech who takes their training seriously so don't go all huffy and think this is all aimed at you, we all had to start somewhere and I have full respect for those who push themselves onwards and upwards and take their trade seriously.

However what I do ask is that this is meant for debate and not a bitch session. Therefore if you would like to add your two penneth then please do so constructively. I also ask that people can add their opinion without fear of being neg repped for doing so - provided it is presented in a constructive fashion .. It’s not what you say it’s how you say it! :green:

Finally the comments that I make are not aimed at anyone in particular(although if the cap fits and all that), it is very much an observation of the industry as it has evolved in the UK over the past 6 years that I have been in it. So I DON'T want it to be full of people trying to defend themselves, or admissions of guilt or innocence.

So here goes, grab a brew, sit back and read away, it’s not quite War and Peace, but I have had a lot of issues and thoughts bubbling away for a very long time … and please remember this is only my opinion and the way I see things, doesn't mean I am right! ….

Frankly I am getting very disillusioned about the state of our beloved industry. Whilst I am no tech extraordinaire I do find that the standards within our industry are getting to a record low … and I don’t mean the traditional NSS of Vietnamese non-trained people wielding MMA. Nope it goes far deeper than that …

It seems to me that nails are the thing of the moment, whence once a bored housewife took up knitting they are now taking up nails (ouch there’s the first controversial thought - but remember if this is not you then don‘t take offence, if the cap fits then maybe you knitted it!! :) ). There is no real thought behind it except maybe, that looks cool I’ll give it a go. Nothing wrong in that I guess, hell that’s how I decided to change careers! But what I find disheartening is that many people want to do everything on the cheap, expect it to happen overnight and from thereon in it’s a downwards spiral of lack of skill, lack of technical knowledge twinned with poor educational standards and most of all a lack of passion.

So let’s move onto education! Yup so much of it is dire and boy can you tell by some of the newbies that join (please read on before replying at this point). It’s not their fault, they parted with their money in good faith, but when I see so much of the basics lacking in their knowledge I am appalled that effectively an NSS equivalent of education is out there. When I started I bought Doug Schoon’s book and read it from cover to cover and still pick it up as my main point of reference.

We work with chemicals which if not used properly can at the least result in a poor quality service and at the worst cause over exposure and chemical burns. Coupled with a lack of hygiene practices, poor terminology (we do not apply falsies for example, let’s rise above that kind of language), lack of correct use of anatomy (boy don’t consider medicine as a profession!), unable to know the correct form of a balanced nail structure (it’s probably why your nails don’t last) and so on. It just horrifies me!

Where do some of these tutors come from? Are the colleges and other places so desperate to fill places that they take people who aren’t qualified either as a technician or as a teacher? Would you send your children to school if you knew your teacher did not have a teaching qualification - or was not properly taught to teach? It does not follow that just because you can “do” nails that you can teach! Maybe people see that they can't actually make a go of running their own nail business, so what do they do - teach it?! Who knows! :rolleyes:

So then we get onto business acumen! Why oh why do so many people think that they have the skills to be self employed? Take a class in business studies and THEN do it. Come on now, let’s have a show of hands for those who actually did a business plan when they started? Does a profit and loss forecast mean anything to you? Don’t just go round gathering every price list in town and undercut them, that's not how it's done and is jsut business suicide.

Firstly people charge their prices for a reason - TO MAKE A LIVING! It’s not a hobby or a bit of pin money so they can add to their shoe or handbag collection, it’s what pays their bills, their mortgage, their food on the table. So by trying to bring in some unholy price war these people are undermining someone’s way to earn an honest crust (yup bet that one never occurred to some of you - that your hobby charging silly stupid prices could actually be making some poor soul go bankrupt and becoming unemployed).

Yup I agree when you are training that you should charge model rates BUT what happens when you are qualified, when you are good enough? Do you put your prices up to a sound business level? Nope you are too afraid because you did not lay out your final price list from the start!

Go to any good nail bar and they will have a price tariff based on skill level from a rookie tech right through to a master tech. Once the tech has achieved the training and level required then their prices go up to the next tariff … so should yours!

Forget the NSS they are not competition, if you try and beat them on price you will not win! People will AND do pay for a quality product with a quality service. The trouble is I see so many people try to come down to their level rather than raising the bar. People WILL question why your sets are anything up to double the price of the NSS, but if we keep our prices the same as them then they will just continue to go to them as we give the price of our service no added value.

In my home town we have a variety of hair salons. I could pay anything from £60 to £200 for the same service, but the perception is that the one who charges more uses better products, has better staff with greater skills and training and you get a classier salon, and a better cut and colour etc etc. Then why don’t we make it the same with nails?

I’m not saying to set a cartel on prices as that is illegal, but for goodness sake when I see a full set from a mobile tech for £15 (and I’m not talking a model set here) which is someone’s main price list (not an offer) I just think WTF, you’d earn more on the dole! Just where are these prices plucked from?

Yup I already hear the cry, “but clients won’t pay this“, and yes I do realise that there are regional differences, and sometimes it’s not that straightforward, but how do you know they won’t pay it unless you try ... unless we ALL try? Aim your marketing and advertising at the right demographic (yup you’re going to need some business acumen for that one too!) and you WILL get the clients.

So there we go, a lot of issues raised and thank you for sticking with this epic post… and the keyword here is DEBATE! Like I say if you don’t have an opinion then IMO you don’t have the passion to change our industry for the better which is what the geeks have always been about ... BTW I hear knitting is a great pastime!! :lol:

Okay gets off soap box over to you, keep it constructive

I can only think of 2 words.......................
I AGREE.

Brill thread Sassy, I totally agree too....in fact, I had this very same discussion with my freinds at the weekend.

I have seen many local technicians go straight from doing a two day course to running their own business with no real plans made, just thinking that people would suddenly start comming to them and they would earn lots of money on the side.

Within 6 months they are giving it all up and going to work at the local call centre. Why do some people think its easy to run your own business, it takes lots of planning, and financial input- not to mention its bloody hard work getting people to actually come to you, and keep them comming to you!

:)

When I passed my first home learn course I was under the impression (as it said so on the dvd :eek: ) that I could go out there get clients and i would be well away.

I have since learnt that this is not the case, I'm not as great as I originally thought I was and it is damned hard work.

Teri x:hug:

Great Thread Sassy I can agree with you more:hug:
This is a hard business and training is the most important thing about it, how you can expect to do a course then go out and class yourself as a Professional is beyond me I have been qualified less than a year and still feel I am no a proper professional.

The techs that go out looking for the cheapest courses because they cant afford other ones well we have all been there scrimped and saved to be able to do a better course if you want to be in the business then you must take it seriously.

I love what I do and at the moment I am only part time but I price myself with a little value I understand people might not pay my prices but the way I look at it is if they are willing to pay they are more likely to look after their enhancements and come back.

AGREE AGREE AGREE.....!!!!

Nails is my passion and my profession....

but i like knitting too.... THAT is my past time... :wink2:

Sarah, this is just exactly how I feel and have done for quite some time now. About 18 months ago my client base seemed to half over night. Although I still have my core of regulars who have been coming for many years, I do not get the bookings from the phone calls anymore. All people are interested in is the price. They seem to think nails is nails irrespective of the technicians skill. During December there were so many salons advertising half price sets of nails. This to me is financial suicide. They have the same overheads to pay in their salons but now they have to work twice as hard to get the same income. But what if they are still only doing the same amount of clients they were before - they are only taking in half of what they were before but still paying out the same.

Clients who only come because of the price, will not stay if you increase your price, they will just go to whoever is cheaper than you.

I have thought long and hard about this since reading your post and cannot come up with any answers - if only.

If we got some form of "standards" within the industry and did so much consumer press coverage to educate consumers that they should look for qualified technicians, with insurance and who abided by the Code of Practice - do we really think this will make a blind bit of difference to the majority of consumers who currently only go for price. They will still look for whoever is cheapest and hang the consequences.

Great thread and I hope this gets the input it deserves. This issue is so important to all of us not just the handful of people who usually get involved in juicy nail threads.

Went into work the other day and my colleuge said that the beauty and nalis place a few doors away are reducing there prices by 40% for all the people that lived and worked down the same road. Things can't be going to well for them they already have undercut me by a few quid and now offering another 40% off. I am getting bussier every day i go in :)

so in one word all i can think is they are desperate and will not win any new clients from this just people coming in for the special as any potential new client will expect low prices all the time and you cant work for nothing forever

nice debate sassy xx

this is a great thread sass , it gives us all a lot of food for thought !! i for one fall into the category of thinking it would be easy when i became self employed :lol: a bit of a shock when its reality !! :eek: , as for taking the job up to start with i did it because i had done a manicure course years ago when i did hair , and always wanted to do them just never got round to it, i didnt think it would be easy (skill wise ) but thought it would be a lot easier (and cheaper) to get my business up and running that it has actually proved to be :irked:
well done for getting a good debate started hun !!

I couldn't agree with you more sassy.
As you all know I dont do nails. Well... I am qualified vctc and nvq in nail enhancements, but my training in my opinion was crap. I dont feel as though they are good enough .
I do mainly holistics and hairdressing (mobile). I offer a complete service, am fully insured and love it.
There are people around my area who try and jump on the band wagon , and think its easy quick money. I can tell you IT IS NOT!! Its the same with the nail industry.
I have had to do 2 years anatomy and physiology, and loads and loads od studdying and case studies galore . I am always doing more training, to keep myself up to date. There are some peeps who are practising reflexology and massage WITHOUT even having done any anatomy and physiology. They say they are fully insured , but they can't be - because you cant get insurance if you don't possess these qualifications, and also cant get on a decent course until you have completed anatomy and physiology. Although there are some unscrupulous places that are trying to make a quick buck by saying you can do a&p at a later date !! What a load of Baloney!!!

I get loads of people asking me if I do nails. I say no. Even though I am qualified I don't do them, even though sometimes I could think to myself, why not its easy money! But its not easy money, not when you have a good reputation and want to keep it!!
I am going to do a creative course one day. (THEN I will offer nail enhancements).
Sassy this is a great thread. Well done .
xx

Right

Sass, i totally agree with all your comments and opinions so i wont repeat them, my bug bearer and it does get to me not personally because I have been blessed with good education and a good educator.
I read so many girls and guys who do come on here and are totally committed, enthusiastic and want to go down the "best road" they think regarding education, only to be let down by the level of teaching they are receiving.
i wont comment on the ones who cannot be bothered with ongoing training or education as, has been discussed many times, i cant be bothered.
These "our future nail technicians" are going down correct routes to complete and further their training only to be utterly disappointed by the level of standards of their trainers, i am going to use nvq and colleges here because its where i feel the majority of the disillusionment comes from.
I dont know if its the trainers fault or the colleges fault, does the trainer think they are totally good enough to train and nurture future nail technicians, or is it the college who thinks the trainer is good enough to train and uphold high knowledge and skills for this position.
It does seem to me that the only way to achieve a decent level of education within the industry is through private courses.
Sometimes and yes my only experience is from reading threads on here, i feel that given the chance ill qualified nail technicians feel they are totally up to the mark and can go on to educate our nail industry future.
Thats one bug bearer another one to me is the "pin money" brigade....the I do nails for a bit of pin money.....to buy a new top etc substandard products with substandard prices, when some of these pin money makers are actually good nail technicians just as good as the "bill paying, food paying" nail technicians, but charge the £15 quid a set as apposed to £25-£30 for a set of exactly the same nail enhancements......why not just flog your wares at a car booty.

Great thread Sass,

I too am noticing a reduction in clients and when people ring up, the first thing they ask is "How much" and very often when I tell them, they say OK thanks very much, then I assume they go off and book into one of my local NSS.

I find my best client base comes from recommendation, or when they are looking for someone who can actually do a P&W.

I refuse to drop my prices, I have spent what amounts to a small fortune on my training, if clients want to go to some tech who is fresh from a two day course at the local wholesalers, there is very little I can do about it.

Thats one bug bearer another one to me is the "pin money" brigade....the I do nails for a bit of pin money.....to buy a new top etc substandard products with substandard prices, when some of these pin money makers are actually good nail technicians just as good as the "bill paying, food paying" nail technicians, but charge the £15 quid a set as apposed to £25-£30 for a set of exactly the same nail enhancements......why not just flog your wares at a car booty.

I wonder how much of this pin money is actually properly accounted for in a full set of accounts.

Maybe we need to be looking at the insurance companies - they seem to give out insurance to whoever asks for it - how many of us have been asked to produce our training evidence for insurance? Do the insurance companies know the difference between courses - if I created a nice certificate on my computer saying I had trained with Bodgit and Scarper Nail Academy, would I get insurance?

Your absolutely spot on there. I could say my bit but feel it would be a repeat of what you have said already.

I am just glad my main core of my business is not just nails, I must say that my l&p have dropped dramatically because most of my clients go on to Bio gel and in some way this differs from what the nss salons do (dont shoot me for saying that, it is merely an observation and do not sit there over selling gel --I dont, I love both and would say I get more satisfaction from a set of L&P ),
perhaps those who go to nss may have been fooled into thinking that l&p are all the same and this gel is somehow different.

But I have taught at the college I was rubbish - but the main focus there is assessments and all I wanted to do was to show them how to improve on their practical skills, I was torn apart. I gave up.

Its a tough one and I was right off the nail industry a few years ago but I have forgiven it and moved on. I am just concentrating on me for now.

Wow some great replies already. thank you, and I apologise if i don't acknowledge them all!

Anna you managed to sum up in one sentence what took me a whole load of spiel!

I agree that a lot comes down to the perception of the client. I mean many nail techs wouldn't know a well structured nail if it hit them in the face, so how do we expect clients too, they just want them long and strong and don't care for much else. The two things I seemed to get asked these days is how much (if you need to ask then you can't afford them lol!) and will they break?

And it is that latter question that bugs me too. Yes they will break, they are designed to break under pressure so your natural nail won't be damaged.

Whilst I agree that in January and February you may do a Nail or Beauty Sale, because it is traditionally the quietest months of the year ... and really that is good business planning. To discount in December is business suicide - why discount in the busiest time of year? This is the period to MAKE money to tide you over Jan and Feb, and this is where this whole price war is making the truly skilled techs go out of business - THAT cannot be good for the industry standards at all.

Dee it is really hard to be self employed, besides the business skills it takes a lot of drive and self discipline to make it work. Without any business skills you are just less likely to succeed. It takes more than just doing good nails to be a good business woman (or man), in fact it takes a lot more than doing good nails to be a good nail tech!

I wonder how much of this pin money is actually properly accounted for in a full set of accounts.

Maybe we need to be looking at the insurance companies - they seem to give out insurance to whoever asks for it - how many of us have been asked to produce our training evidence for insurance? Do the insurance companies know the difference between courses - if I created a nice certificate on my computer saying I had trained with Bodgit and Scarper Nail Academy, would I get insurance?

lol You could try and see what response you get, i would be very suprised if the well know insurance companys would babtac ant etc but you never know, and it would be money down the drain if they are not atually qualified because if there was a claim against them wouldn't the policy be imediatly invalid? a bit like having no car tax/mot you are not insured ?

So, what are we going to do about this?

We all need to form some sort of alliance i suppose. Instead of working against eachother (i know competition is healthy and all that) , i think we should work to a system where the client KNOWS how qualified the tech is. I think Creative is fab for this ie Grand master etc. But what about other training schools?

I am also sick of hearing about rubbish training. it is techs that have rubbish training think they are god's gift to nails and without realising are putting a dampner on the nail industries reputation. It isn't fair for the public to think we are all like this. I am the first to admit when i first qualified i was so ill prepared for the lifting, cracking, yellowing etc. Nobody told me that learning nails is a bit like learning to drive. You get better with practise! You are not good just because you received your diploma!!

Their needs to be a certain level for training, it all needs to meet a certain standard. At least then we'd all know what kind of education we were getting!

i am very serious about my work and i work REALLY hard. If i encounter problems i am quick to try and sort them, probably with the help of geeks! I hate it when techs charge pennies for nails when i don't. Again, people have a bad experience and won't have nails put back on. NAils need to be priced at what they're worth and so do the techs.

Brilliant post Sassy

I know that if I were in this industry for a quick buck I'd have signed on long ago:lol:
Personally, I believe that thse of us who care about standards and strive hard professionally to do the best possible job, will eventually come out on top. If you want anything from life you need to work bloody hard for it, and pay in not just hard cash, but blood, sweat and tears.
I did much better when I put my prices up last year, and after my next Masters I'll put them up again. As you said, this is my living, not something I do for a bit of fun on the side, and I have invested a great deal into making it work, and will continue to do so.
I also like to think that Karma will play a helping hand, in that people who do things on the cheap, education and products etc,cannot possibly hope to turn out work quality work that lasts, which in the end can only benefit the true professionals. Here's hoping anyway:)

Most of my callers always ask 'and do they ruin your nails - I got them done last year and my nails have never been the same since?' so there are a lot of frightened clients out there.

Just literally had a call from someone asking for prices and gave her my new price and she said 'I will get back to you' - of course she wont.

Someone recently asked if I do discounts if I do 2 sets of nails...er, no, why would I do that?

Its price based this time of the year.

Fab thread Sass!

The thing that jumped out at me is the people wanting to do everything on the cheap and then go out and make loads of dosh.....! How do people think they are going to become a great tech if they aren't prepaed to invest in their own future?

Hobby techs are the bane of my life! I regularly tell people 'this is what I do to make a living - nothing else, just this!'

I reckon (for what it's worth!), people think nails are easy (easy money), and have a glamourised view of the industry...... The industry is too immature for clients to know what makes a good nail, or (more importantly) what makes a not so good nail.....

I'm with Fiona, I don't want clients who shop on price..... I want loyal, long-term clients who return for regular maintenance and look after their nails.....

I don't have any answers either, but I know my background in marketing for a big financial services organisation has stood me in good stead. I mean, how many tech's write down their brand values or what their overall visual identity means before they start?

There are so many issues in this: training, professionalism, business-sense, skill, talent, dedication and a bit of luck! If you have all this you stand a chance......

Latest posts

Back