Decisions, decisions!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimee

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm usually a reader not a poster so I hope this is in the right place.

I'm just after some opinions on what you may do in my shoes.

I have been renting a beauty room within a hairdressers for 18 months which has been going great. I have built up a great client base & have just taken on environ to hopefully boost business further.

My dilemma is this: the beauty salon round the corner is for sale. It has been established for 10 years & is a small manageable size but has plenty of room for improvement & with a little tlc I think could be a great starter for my own salon, as the rates are fab for this area. I would require a business grant/loan to purchase the business to start off & to do the work.

However I'm at the stage in my life where my boyfriend & I are wanting to get our own place. We both currently live with our parents, have been together 5 years & have no major financial commitments such as a mortgage. I know this is the best time for me to start up an entire salon business, but I doubt I will be able to save for a house aswell as running a salon.

I am 23 & also studying my dtlls course for the future. Any opinions would be great, do you think I would be more sensible to stay on renting my room & start saving for a place of our own (eg. Grow up lol!) or just take the risk?!

Many thanks :) x x

What is holding me back is

i have been finding this hard to put into words apart from

GO FOR IT GIRL!!!!!!! lol

I think if the opportunity is there and you are ready then take the risk and go for it otherwise you would ask yourself why?

You also never know, you may find in a few months time when your settled in your own place you will be able to think about moving into your own home too.

Good Luck

Hi geeks,

I'm usually a reader not a poster so I hope this is in the right place.

I'm just after some opinions on what you may do in my shoes.

I have been renting a beauty room within a hairdressers for 18 months which has been going great. I have built up a great client base & have just taken on environ to hopefully boost business further.

My dilemma is this: the beauty salon round the corner is for sale. It has been established for 10 years & is a small manageable size but has plenty of room for improvement & with a little tlc I think could be a great starter for my own salon, as the rates are fab for this area. I would require a business grant/loan to purchase the business to start off & to do the work.

However I'm at the stage in my life where my boyfriend & I are wanting to get our own place. We both currently live with our parents, have been together 5 years & have no major financial commitments such as a mortgage. I know this is the best time for me to start up an entire salon business, but I doubt I will be able to save for a house aswell as running a salon.

I am 23 & also studying my dtlls course for the future. Any opinions would be great, do you think I would be more sensible to stay on renting my room & start saving for a place of our own (eg. Grow up lol!) or just take the risk?!

Many thanks :) x x

What is holding me back is

I would say GO FOR IT too!

Getting a salon of your own is 'grown up' lol. After you were on your feet and felt settled you could start saving again for a house.

I am 22, been with my boyfriend for 5 years too and we just bought a new house in May this year. Its fabulous having your own place but my advice would be do whatever you want to do first before getting a mortgage. Your hand is never out your pocket when you have a house and you dont want to regret not taking this opportunity which sounds perfect for you! You sound like you have a good client base to take with you and possibly an existing one in the salon for sale so you never know money might not be as bad as you think after you have settled in. xx

I would def go for the salon! Your only 23 so have plenty of time ahead to save for a house. I'm 28 and only just trying to save for a house. I wish I'd had your opportunity! Good luck!

Go for it. I brought my first house when i was 18 remorgated it for my salon when i was 24 and hell i can definatly buy a 2nd house if i wanted too! lol! Think of how much you will obviously make having your own place-plus rent free if you're living with the rents! great oppertunity! dunno why your on here.....get cracking! xoxo

Thanks so much for your support! I suppose I just worry at the thought of having to get a loan to fund the start up & renovation & having to pay it back for ages, & the possibility of not bringing in enough money! Most of my clients come to have their hair done at the same time & i worry they may not follow me "/ Has anyone had any awful experiences like this? X x

seriously......... dont worry about getting a house you are only in your early 20ies..? geez I say just go with your heart, grab an opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!

huge commitment, don't do it unless you are willing to live and breathe the business 24/7

Go for it - otherwise you will always find reasons not to - house , wedding , family etc etc

Latest posts

Back