dehydration spots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IonaEadie

Reaction score
How do other therapists manage dehydration white spots on nails after gel or BIAB removal when the client wants French or sheer colours ie OPI Bubblebath? These don't cover the white patches, and if I hydrate them with cuticle oil the gel won't adhere. A big problem! the struggle is real when everyone wants French with coloured tips! Help please :)

I’ve not come across this yet but if I did I’d just do a nude rubber or builder base to conceal the spots and do the French tip over that. Hope that helps! I’m still a new tech so this might not be the best advice!

How do other therapists manage dehydration white spots on nails after gel or BIAB removal when the client wants French or sheer colours ie OPI Bubblebath? These don't cover the white patches, and if I hydrate them with cuticle oil the gel won't adhere. A big problem! the struggle is real when everyone wants French with coloured tips! Help please :)

I'd be investigating the cause of the dehydration marks first if it's a regular issue.

Is your removal product too harsh? Consider a remover with added conditioner
If your removal process too harsh? The remover product should do the work, if you have to resort to a pusher to scrape it off too the marks are potentially damage not dehydration.
Is your client using cuticle oil to hydrate the nails between appointments? They have to take some responsibility too

I'd be investigating the cause of the dehydration marks first if it's a regular issue.

Is your removal product too harsh? Consider a remover with added conditioner
If your removal process too harsh? The remover product should do the work, if you have to resort to a pusher to scrape it off too the marks are potentially damage not dehydration.
Is your client using cuticle oil to hydrate the nails between appointments? They have to take some responsibility too
This 100%, I used to get this a lot when I was newly qualified in gel polish and builder as I was using generic acetone and used a metal tool to push the gel off the nails. When I switched brands and went 100% with just this brand I tried their remover with added conditioner, I also switched to foil wraps with cotton pads rather than soak off bowls and use orange wood sticks with a little cotton wool wrapped round the end to gently push off the gel which should just flake away from the nail. No more damage/dehydration spots.

Trinity asked an important question:
Is your client using cuticle oil to hydrate the nails between appointments?

CND Shellac as well as CND acrylic is formulated to allow SolarOil to penetrate the product and reach the nailplate.

its especially effective to apply and rub in at bedtime so that it has plenty of time to work.

Cuticle oil is more than a cosmetic application to make everything look good for a photo. And your oil should include oils that are readily accepted by your skin and nail. This means ingredients like seed, nut or vegetable oils, also vitamin oils.

Reject anything that has mineral oils. Mineral oils have their own uses.

Trinity makes the most important point - All "dehydration" ain't dehydration! Just because it's a white spot doesn't mean it's dehydration; a lot of times (most of the time?) it is damage caused by poor removal. If it is really just dehydration, an application of Solar/Dadi Oil should fix it quickly. If not, it's likely damage, and that calls for a reassessment of your removal practices.

https://schoonscientific.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Dec-16-Doug-Schoon-column.pdf

Last edited:
I see clients who spend part of their time in another city
they see manicurists who file the surface off natural nails

we can watch the damaged areas grow out and then... they are back in Palm springs for the season and we are back to the sections of nail peeling off

treating the nail with oil seems to help, but little makes a difference when the more dense upper layers of nail have actually been scraped or filed off

I do also see a few runners who get what looks like dehydration areas, the result of pressure from shows in active sports
I suspect they are getting separation in the layers of nail from stress on the nails

you will sometimes see this on the nails that are pressured by shoes and not on other nails

I'll treat them with oils, argan seems to help, and send some home with them

Latest posts

Back