Dermalogica start up, to dare or not to dare?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieRF

Reaction score
Hi girls & guys,

This is my first thread so I'm hoping this will help me get the answers I need.
I had a meeting with my rep today to talk about starting a Dermalogica account. I have to say I am sold, its just the eye watering start up cost thats the big risk. I have read some previous threads on this question. so would like to know how everyone who took the plunge is getting on......

I took Dermalogica on nearly 20 years ago and was a great investment. I used to get people visiting my salon from all over my region as I was the only stockist within a 40/50 mile radius. After moving a few years ago I ceased my account with Dermalogica... I was torn as absolutely love this brand such a professional company with fantastic education. My reasons being: the market became flooded in my small town alone there are over 7 stockists that I can think of now.

Customers who had previously looked up to find a Dermalogica stockist were now flooded with choice they come for a skin mapping then search on line for a better price....let's face it who wouldn't. Obviously I gave them the talk on reliability of the quality of the product etc simply unable to compete with internet pricing.

My final but not main reason was that I felt Dermalogica were targeting colleges to take their products on and became less of a high end product.....

On a positive note Dermalogica has great branding/training/treatments and is a well known product range which certainly does what it says in the tin! Difficult choice, are you good a selling products...?

I took Dermalogica on nearly 20 years ago and was a great investment. I used to get people visiting my salon from all over my region as I was the only stockist within a 40/50 mile radius. After moving a few years ago I ceased my account with Dermalogica... I was torn as absolutely love this brand such a professional company with fantastic education. My reasons being: the market became flooded in my small town alone there are over 7 stockists that I can think of now.

Customers who had previously looked up to find a Dermalogica stockist were now flooded with choice they come for a skin mapping then search on line for a better price....let's face it who wouldn't. Obviously I gave them the talk on reliability of the quality of the product etc simply unable to compete with internet pricing.

My final but not main reason was that I felt Dermalogica were targeting colleges to take their products on and became less of a high end product.....

On a positive note Dermalogica has great branding/training/treatments and is a well known product range which certainly does what it says in the tin! Difficult choice, are you good a selling products...?
Thank you so so much for your reply!
I am not the best seller out there however, when I am passionate about something that comes through and that does the talking more than any sales tactics. I have spent the best part of a few days mulling this decision over. Which seems silly when you put it into perspective that it is a skin care range! Really I am looking for a range that has a loyal following of its own which will help drive clients through my door. I know Dermalogica will do that but my area is flooded too.....

One thing that you can offer that the internet will never be able to is treatments. I am
Sure your Dermalogica rep will advise you on promotions e.g. 20% off anyone product when you have a facial. Good luck!

I took it on in October and have earnt back my initial opening order already (I have a salon with 3 rooms but don't do huge amounts of facials).

My main thing is the education, the girls love it and therefore they're more inclined to recommend it compared to our previous brand.

We get quite a few people turn up because we stock it too

I took it on in October and have earnt back my initial opening order already (I have a salon with 3 rooms but don't do huge amounts of facials).

My main thing is the education, the girls love it and therefore they're more inclined to recommend it compared to our previous brand.

We get quite a few people turn up because we stock it too
Thank you for your reply. Can I just ask, does your area have a lot of stockists? After some research I have found there are quite a lot in my area and this is now what is putting me off.

I would 100% advise you to get on board with dermalogica. Its an amazing brand and its so results driven so you know that clients are going to see results in their skin really quickly and thats going to get people to come back to you for more treatments. its an amazing brand and after you've had a play around with it you will see how good it is and how it will benefit your salon

Thank you for your reply. Can I just ask, does your area have a lot of stockists? After some research I have found there are quite a lot in my area and this is now what is putting me off.

Yes we have so many! One on the same high street about 200 meters away, another a further 100m away and more in the village/neighbouring village x

I am an ex dermalogica salon and now wouldnt touch them, its too common, too many active ingredients in them so alot of people cant tolerate it on their skins and finally they sold out to unilever so i have no doubt the product will be compromised. Ive also found much better peoducts and companies since and get much better results.

We are getting dermalogica as well. Was a bit worried by some comments on here previously but we tried samples from a number of companies but quality of product, feedback from therapist and client along with visible results meant that there was a clear winner. Oh and we did a online survey to ask our clients what they wanted and this came out on top.

I am just in the process of closing my Dermalogica account. I know a lot of salon owners that aren't happy with how accounts are been treat but some dare not take the plunge and get rid altogether. After seeing how my friend and her clinic have been treat recently (who was a Dermalogica circle member & one of the largest accounts they had!) it has shocked me that Dermalogica really don't care where, who or what is being sold as long as they are getting the £'s. Yes the training is good and ongoing but their treatment of accounts certainly needs looking at.
I wish I had known then what I know now and not invested thousands into a brand that doesn't care.

Thank you everyone who has replied. Your comments certainly has given me food for thought!

Wouldn't recommend it. Not professional only, impossible to retail with online discounting and with Unilever now the owners wouldn't be surprised to see it in M&S soon like their other skincare brands.

Could anyone recommend an alternative skin care range? I LOVE elemis but they won't sell to me because I'm home based.

Could anyone recommend an alternative skin care range? I LOVE elemis but they won't sell to me because I'm home based.

Have you contacted Eve Taylor? Incredible skincare and so well priced. Great company to deal with and are bringing our new fantastic products all the time. Professional ONLY too so you won't see them on the high street or have to worry about that. Definitely worth a call. We literally cannot keep the products on the shelves and some of my girls wouldn't even be great at retailing!

Eve Taylor all the way xx

I've been looking into Swissdermyl and Eve Taylor - I have to say Swissdermyl are winning the toss so far but I've got a few months before my advanced facial training is complete so Kaeso can do me until I make the final decision. Eve Taylor seem more geared to pampering and aromatherapy whereas Swissdermyl is more prescriptive and results driven xx

Eve Taylor are very results driven. Have you seen their full product line up? Five different exfoliations, machine applicable products, Hyaluronic acid, Telomere DNA all there if you need it. You should contact them to see the full range they have to offer.

AlumierMD - reasonable start up costs as they have several packages and do payment plans on higher packages which helps smaller businesses. If anyone is interested let me know via pm and I can get details to you as I'm already a stockist X

I am an ex dermalogica salon and now wouldnt touch them, its too common, too many active ingredients in them so alot of people cant tolerate it on their skins and finally they sold out to unilever so i have no doubt the product will be compromised. Ive also found much better peoducts and companies since and get much better results.
What do you use now x

Latest posts

Back