Dermalogica v Yonka v Dr Murad - which do I choose for new salon??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treez

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just looking for advice on which skincare line to go with for my new salon - I'm in talks with several companies but the top three so far are Dermalogica, Yonka and Dr Murad.

Do you use any of these and if so, how do you find them? How well do they retail?

Any advice much appreciated!

Treez

I don't think you should go for dermalogica, almost every other salon has it. There is nothing special about it. I think even if you decide to go for it have another range, something different. There are so many great skin ranges, if you are in an expansive area choose something more luxuries, but if not, choose something less expansive, so people can afford it.

I trained in Dermalogica many years ago, but never got on with it, although there are a lot of people who rave about it. That said as many colleges use it, nearly everyone after college uses it in their salon, thus it's of little use if you're after a point of difference. Yonka I found to be awful, very thick & gunky with the same 5 oils in everything. The other I've no experience of!

I'd choose something people have heard of, but one whose market isn't already saturated, which is why I'm with Decleor! I love the products, they work, they retail easily & it's not used by everyone & their dog!

I have just been introduced to a product called Visual Changes, I am really impressed with it so far, it's very results driven rather than maintenence. I have worked with Dermalogica, but agree with the other post that it has become very saturated, especially in the area I live.

I have no experience of Dr Murad and not sure ive even heard of it so can't comment on that one.

I stock Dermalogica and although I agree it is available pretty much everywhere you go I still sell a lot of retail. The treatments are fantastic and I don't know of any of skincare company with a training programme like theres. What you have to remember is that it isn't one of the top brands for nothing, clients love it and I get lots of people coming in to buy products having been referred from the website.

If there aren't many salons in your area that have it I would have it in like a shot.

I have only tried samples from yon ka and I thought they were lovely, very nearly went with them a while back but I just didn't feel they had much support for salons and this was very important to me.

Thanks guys, that's really helpful and any more input would be great!

I met with Murad yesterday, and while it's not all that well known on this side of the Atlantic it's pretty big in the States. Was very impressed by them and am leaning towards going with this brand as almost every other salon in my greater area has Dermalogica and I'm not blown away by Yonka.

If you've had any experience of Dr Murad products, could you let me know?

Thanks!

Its worth bearing in mind that a skincare range that is big in another country may not be as popular in this one. I used to stock Academie Scientfique de Beaute which I was assured was massive in France, one of the top ranges well it certainly didn't make much input in my salon thats for sure and isn't very well known in the UK.

Dermalogica is huge in the USA and UK yet in France its virtually unheard of!

Let us know what you choose in the end and how it goes.

I use Murad and the results are incredible. You have to really know your product knowledge to sell products and treatments to clients as very few people have heard of the brand.

Thanks guys, that's really helpful and any more input would be great!

I met with Murad yesterday, and while it's not all that well known on this side of the Atlantic it's pretty big in the States. Was very impressed by them and am leaning towards going with this brand as almost every other salon in my greater area has Dermalogica and I'm not blown away by Yonka.

If you've had any experience of Dr Murad products, could you let me know?

Thanks!
Hi!
I have used Murad for 20 years. I love it! I also use Yonka Pamplemousse and toner, so obviously I love it, too.

I use Clinicare which amazing.

Hi guys,
Just looking for advice on which skincare line to go with for my new salon - I'm in talks with several companies but the top three so far are Dermalogica, Yonka and Dr Murad.

Do you use any of these and if so, how do you find them? How well do they retail?

Any advice much appreciated!

Treez
I'm following this as I'm looking for a skin care brand that's clean and doesn't have a minimum order, as I'm just working from home now.....has anyone tried Kaeso? I saw a few comments on salon geek about it.....

Last edited:
Look at Glana , a new natural skincare range . We run this alongside dermalogica and it’s super popular

Does anyone have any opinions on Payot or Juliette Armand

Does anyone have any opinions on Payot or Juliette Armand

I have used Payot for the last 4 years and I am very happy with it. I have it in addition to Kaeso which is a very good basic line of skincare. I had no problem opening an account with Payot, I had no minimum spend nor big opening order because that's what I wanted. To not be tied in. Alan Howard are the UK stockists so you could start by shopping and opening an account with them.

My most popular line is their Creme no 2 which is for sensitive, stressed skin. Clients love it.
I ordered the basics and went along with what I wanted really, used all of it myself and that is the main thing which gives you personal experience of the brand. Helps if you are able to try things and then decide if it is for you.

They produce well researched products and have excellent product information to help you to learn about the ranges. They also are famous for their constantly evolving and a range of Spa treatments which have in turn totally transformed my business.

Their Christmas gift sets are really good value if you are hoping to do some retail.

2020 was their 100th year birthday and it has a proven track record of success. It is available in 75 countries world wide. They have a training academy which is online....for experienced Therapists. However I have attended the training facility in Alan Howard Stockport, but I do know that the rep has been over to Belfast for training.

Latest posts

Back