Designer dogs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only ever had rescue dogs, and had a mixture of cross-breeds and a couple of pure-bred Jack Russells (my favourite breed!).

I'm not sure why there would be any issue with cross-breeding?! If anything, until recently, cross-bred dogs were considered to be healthier due to the gene diversity, reducing as it does the breed-specific risks associated with pure-bred dogs. Although I believe more recently they have decided cross-breeds and pure-bred pedigrees are as healthy as one another.

This might be of interest:

http://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2014/03/03/designer-dog-disaster/#.U2AjPdq9KK0

We often get that! She's very border-like :) her dad was a jack Russell and mum looked kind of like a grey westie...lol! She's the cutest dog, so good natured. Cuddly, not 'yappy', loves kids, will walk all day if you let her but just as happy snoozing in bed being a lazy bum. Love her x

Its the trademark border ears! Her nose/physique looks similar too.
I have a border terrier :green:

I think the problem with these 'designer dogs' is that they are often bread irresponsibly with no thought to breeding out problems, is all about the money and not the welfare and health of the pups.

Its the trademark border ears! Her nose/physique looks similar too.
I have a border terrier :green:

I think the problem with these 'designer dogs' is that they are often bread irresponsibly with no thought to breeding out problems, is all about the money and not the welfare and health of the pups.

I have a border terrier too and I see what you mean about the likeness.

I hate the idea of these puppy farms - pure greed. People have to be careful where they buy from so they are not supporting such places.

Why don't you agree with it?[/QUOT

I think from a good breeders point of view and I speak from the breeder of my lab who is also my friend.
She breeds labs and is kennel club registered so she pays for her breeding bitches to be hip scored,eye checked,knee checked and various other genetic checks her dogs are then bred with other male labs that have been checked so any defects in the breed are kept to a minimum.
Because these designer dogs are not recognised as a breed people are breeding willynilly just to keep up with demand so breeds that may have similar conditions like hip displasia are not being bred with any consideration.

I hate it! They are mongrels not designer breeds. It's awful that people are selling these dogs for £300 plus when 10 years ago they would have been called "back ally accidents".
I call a spade a spade and a Jackapoo a mongrel.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I hate it! They are mongrels not designer breeds. It's awful that people are selling these dogs for £300 plus when 10 years ago they would have been called "back ally accidents".
I call a spade a spade and a Jackapoo a mongrel.

I agree! I have a purebred westie (from battersea) and I would only ever go for pure breeds myself. Someone I know has a cockerpoo who swears blind that there purebreeds as there a new breed! There mongrels! I've seen pug crosses that go for a lot of money.
I have no problem with mongrels and if I wanted one I'd get one, but don't sell it as or make it out to be a pure breed when it's not.

I would worry about their temperament a bit. My mum and dad rescued a staff but im sure she's cross she's so tall and lean and her temperament isn't like other staffs we have had in the past but I love her to pieces anyway 1398812096564.jpg1398812096564.jpg

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I agree! I have a purebred westie (from battersea) and I would only ever go for pure breeds myself. Someone I know has a cockerpoo who swears blind that there purebreeds as there a new breed! There mongrels! I've seen pug crosses that go for a lot of money.
I have no problem with mongrels and if I wanted one I'd get one, but don't sell it as or make it out to be a pure breed when it's not.

I have owned mongrels, Sam was a Collie cross shep cross lab with a bit of something else. She was lovely and lived to be 14 with no health problems. She also was affectionately known as heinz variety and my dad bought her for a pint down the pub. This was 1978 and I don't condone back yard breeding or giving dogs away but my point is that nowadays she would have benn called something cute like a collydor shepherd and cost £600

I would worry about their temperament a bit. My mum and dad rescued a staff but im sure she's cross she's so tall and lean and her temperament isn't like other staffs we gave had in the past but I love her to pieces anyway View attachment 63674View attachment 63674

Could just be a long legged staffie x

Could just be a long legged staffie x

That's what my dad keeps saying to me, I would love to test her doggie DNA and see.x

She's lovely!
I only ever have rescue as there are so many dogs that need homes. It makes me really sad that they get overlooked. I wanted another dog for my 50th. A rescue staffy maybe but my husband refused. I know why but I'd still love another one x

I would worry about their temperament a bit. My mum and dad rescued a staff but im sure she's cross she's so tall and lean and her temperament isn't like other staffs we have had in the past but I love her to pieces anyway View attachment 63674View attachment 63674

She looks similar to my pup and she's a staffy cross American bulldog I'm trying to upload a pic but it's not letting me :( xx

Here she is :)image.jpg I've tried 4/5 others but there failing to upload :( x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398839978.265900.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398840000.235759.jpg
This is Riley, he's a viszla crossed with a collie... So a Vislie? Most people think he's a lab? We rescued him in January, our first rescue, my mum wanted another pedigree viszla like our Alfie who died in 2012.ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1398840239.323575.jpg
Not the best pic of Alfie as he lost his nose hair during the chemo. We miss him very much!

I disagree partly with the 'buying into a problem' with cross breeds. If you look at the pure breeds a lot have problems, eg a lot of Labradors with hip problems, pugs have breathing and eye problems due to their squashed little faces.

I have a gorgeous chinhauhau-pug cross. He has a good lot of pug features but with a longer snout and less bulgy eyes so doesn't get half as many problems as I think he would if he was a pure pug, but I'm no expert!

I'm all for crosses/mongrels/designer breeds. Noting wrong with a bit of variety! :) as long as the dogs don't suffer from being interbred, of course!

Ps your doggies are all gorgeous! :)

I'll have a go at an upload. My boy was the pic on my Facebook page with the caption "Is your skin ready for winter"
I had loads of likes and sold loads of skincare from my free model!

Attachments

• Pup in snow.jpg
    Pup in snow.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 146
Big square rottie head/ alasatin colouring . 8 stone . Temperament of a rabbit. He's shy too, hates getting his picture taken

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 131
Aargh!
It's upside down - feeling seasick trying to look at him!
Often wondered if mine has a bit of rottie - head so broad you could rest a drink on it!

Because these designer dogs are not recognised as a breed people are breeding willynilly just to keep up with demand so breeds that may have similar conditions like hip displasia are not being bred with any consideration.

Although in fairness that's not a problem exclusive to cross-breeds, there has been plenty of controversy also around pure-bred pedigrees and breed-specific health problems, hence why the BBC stopped showing Crufts.

I think the issue is the breeder, not whether the dog is a pedigree or mongrel.

Latest posts

Back