Desk lamp for mobile work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,

A little help needed please!

I'm using normal lighting at the moment and finding it's just not good enough at this time of the year.
From all the threads I've found the Daylight lamps sound the best. However, as I am mobile then the normal desk lamps, which would be perfect for home salons/ walk in salons, probably won't last as long. As I need to pack the lamp away after each client. So thinking the lamps which fold are better and not the ones with a coil like neck. I like the desk lamps that attach to the table, so they take up less space. Plus I hear that the LED ones are better?! Is it better to go for a desk lamp that covers the whole lamp ie.is the length of the table? Or is a small portable (30cm in length) one still good for the job.

What make (and model) of desk lamps do other mobile techs use? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you for reading everyone.

x

Hello,

A little help needed please!

I'm using normal lighting at the moment and finding it's just not good enough at this time of the year.
From all the threads I've found the Daylight lamps sound the best. However, as I am mobile then the normal desk lamps, which would be perfect for home salons/ walk in salons, probably won't last as long. As I need to pack the lamp away after each client. So thinking the lamps which fold are better and not the ones with a coil like neck. I like the desk lamps that attach to the table, so they take up less space. Plus I hear that the LED ones are better?! Is it better to go for a desk lamp that covers the whole lamp ie.is the length of the table? Or is a small portable (30cm in length) one still good for the job.

What make (and model) of desk lamps do other mobile techs use? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you for reading everyone.

x
I have the lamp with the coil like neck and I would advise not to get it for mobile work, it is an amazing lamp but it is so long you will never fit it in a bag even when you take it apart. They do smaller lamps though which I'm sure will be just as amazing I would deffo go with daylight lamps x

I have an led lamp... think it was about 20 off ebay... it is jointed and fixes to my table with a slot n screw mechanism.... x

Thank you so much for your replies.

nailedit00 - I thought this might be the case. These desk lamps look fantastic for (home) salons though.

carolwheatley - What make and model is your desk lamp? That's a brilliant price for a desk lamp that attaches.

amberlm - wow that is a fantastic price! How have you got on with it just standing on the desk? Any problems with it falling over? My desk at the moment is a little wobbly, so not sure if it would stand up throughout the treatment. However, I'm wanting to get a much better desk, but still trying to find a decent one that is portable.

Thank you so much for your replies.

nailedit00 - I thought this might be the case. These desk lamps look fantastic for (home) salons though.

carolwheatley - What make and model is your desk lamp? That's a brilliant price for a desk lamp that attaches.

amberlm - wow that is a fantastic price! How have you got on with it just standing on the desk? Any problems with it falling over? My desk at the moment is a little wobbly, so not sure if it would stand up throughout the treatment. However, I'm wanting to get a much better desk, but still trying to find a decent one that is portable.

I just have a cheap portable desk from Ebay but the lamp was fine on that, it hasn't fallen over so far :)

Has anyone found that using an LED desk lamp for nails has actually cured the gel as you have been working? I need more lamps in my treatment room as it's a conservatory and in the evening the light is appalling! I was worried about buying the LED versions for this reason. Thank you.

I've been away and just returned, hence the delay in responding.

Thank you Sammi010, yours is nice and neat.

Amberlm - that's good to know as I was a little worried.

1434cundell - I've not bought an LED lamp yet. However, I was under the impression that the LED would NOT cure the gel. Thank you for letting me know and I'll make sure the LED I get doesn't get warm/hot. I think the Daylight Company LED lamps don't cure the gels, but not 100% as not had one.

I've been away and just returned, hence the delay in responding.

Thank you Sammi010, yours is nice and neat.

Amberlm - that's good to know as I was a little worried.

1434cundell - I've not bought an LED lamp yet. However, I was under the impression that the LED would NOT cure the gel. Thank you for letting me know and I'll make sure the LED I get doesn't get warm/hot. I think the Daylight Company LED lamps don't cure the gels, but not 100% as not had one.
I think I might buy a cheap one and then see how it goes. I'm sure they can't otherwise there wouldn't be a market for them!! Xx

Has anyone found that using an LED desk lamp for nails has actually cured the gel as you have been working? I need more lamps in my treatment room as it's a conservatory and in the evening the light is appalling! I was worried about buying the LED versions for this reason. Thank you.

When you use your LED lamp to cure your nails , it's still cured by UV just LED (light emitting diode) instead of standard bulbs so a normal LED lamp would not cure your gel as it's not UV! Hope this makes sense!

When you use your LED lamp to cure your nails , it's still cured by UV just LED (light emitting diode) instead of standard bulbs so a normal LED lamp would not cure your gel as it's not UV! Hope this makes sense!
Thank you!! I have bought an LED lamp now!

Amazing little extendable & collapsable led lamps for £7.99 in lidls, of all places today!! Just had to get one prefect for mobile different colour too! [emoji5]️ I can upload pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Amazing little extendable & collapsable led lamps for £7.99 in lidls, of all places today!! Just had to get one prefect for mobile different colour too! [emoji5]️ I can upload pics if anyone is interested.
Would you mind uploading a photo please? I am looking for a potable lamp too x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1484768345.536440.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1484768380.065135.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1484768462.492948.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1484768588.628170.jpg

Have taken pictures next to my CND lamp so you can see how compact it is, lovely bright LED bulb too, well chuffed with it!! X

Looks perfect, will go and have a look. Thank you ☺️
Did you manage to fine one? We're in the same area and I've been struggling to find one that isn't too expensive!

Did you manage to fine one? We're in the same area and I've been struggling to find one that isn't too expensive!
No, not yet. Popped into lidl to look at this one and couldn't find it. I have seen a couple of foldable ones on amazon that are reasonable priced but struggling to find one to fit in my case.

I just bought this over the weekend and have used on two clients and it is fantastic!

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/daylight-company-naturalight-portable-led-lamp-black-inside/603371-1001

You can charge it via USB, so I charged it in my car on my way to clients house, or via wall plug. It has three levels of brightness and in my opinion really enhanced the service I gave as I was able; to see amazingly in dark light :)
I've also got this lamp and can highly recommend, great price, rechargeable, great size for mobile working and really does the job too.

I've also got this lamp and can highly recommend, great price, rechargeable, great size for mobile working and really does the job too.
Hi, the link isn't coming up with a lamp
hi, did you buy the lamp online or Instore as it is showing as out of stock online? X

Latest posts

Back