Diabetes....... too cautious?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perls Beauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I have a diabetic client booked in for a set of enhancements this coming week, and I know that diabetes and it's medication can lead to rejection of enhancements, and that I need to be very very careful not to 'nick' her sensitive skin!

A previous diabetic client of mine was an elderly lady (who also had various other health issues that she wasn't always truthful about), gave me an absolute nightmare trying to keep any product on her successfully, and so now I am really worried about this client :eek:

She has told me that she previously had l&p enhancements which were in the main, fine, but the last ones she had done were bio-sculpture, as the tech wanted to 'try' her with them, and she says that they all lifted and peeled off within days.

I am airing on the side of going with l&p rather than gel because of her comments, but i still have some occasional lifting issues and don't want her to think she has had a crappy service from me if these also lift.

Hope that all makes sense, I just want to give her a good set of nails and have her coming back for more so any advice, or more info would be greatly appreciated :hug:

Sorry for babbling........... Thanks in advance
Lorraine xx

I have a client who has diabetes and also MS (amongst other illnesses), she had problems keeping her L+P on but is having no problems at all with Brisa gel (buff off).

I don't believe in the "diabetics having problems with nails", but more so that the general health has an effect as well as whether clients do their aftercare and follow our guidance re oil etc.

Why not try L+P first of all to see how she gets on with it :hug:

Hi, sorry to jump in, I'm currently at college studying my vctc 2 nail tech and we were told that diabetes is contraindicated. So have these clients had to provide doctors' letters? Is there anything particularly you need to do differently for a diabetic client? We haven't (yet) been told what effect the diabetes would actually have. I would really appreciate a bit more info from you experienced geeks, thanks, Lou xx
Posted via Mobile Device

My BFF is diabetic and no matter what I use, L&P or Brisa, nothing stays on her nails. We've just resigned ourselves to that fact. :cry:

Hi, sorry to jump in, I'm currently at college studying my vctc 2 nail tech and we were told that diabetes is contraindicated. So have these clients had to provide doctors' letters? Is there anything particularly you need to do differently for a diabetic client? We haven't (yet) been told what effect the diabetes would actually have. I would really appreciate a bit more info from you experienced geeks, thanks, Lou xx
Posted via Mobile Device
You have to be MEGA careful when prepping, cutting/trimming and filing as it's overly easy to 'nick/abrade' the skin and also be careful with massage due to circulation issues.

I think each case is individual.

My client (as mentioned above) loves the massage part of both manicure and pedicure, she has bad circulation and her extremities are often quite cold to the touch, she finds massage helps her a lot, also, re her MS, she's felt sensation in parts of her feet that previously were numb to the touch, so much so that she has asked me to stop!!!

Providing the client has their diabetes totally under control you shouldn't need a doctor's letter to continue with treatment.

hth's

my mother is a type 1 diabetic and is totally reliant on insulin injections. she is fine with both gel and l/p acrylic nails and often has to wait 5 weeks for an appointment if im busy with little lifting.

Latest posts

Back