Didn't get the job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephsTherapies

Reaction score
I have a home salon, but decided to apply for a part time beauty therapist position at a new spa being opened in the new year just for some extra income, I haven't been self employed for long so thought some extra income would be nice as I built my client base.

I have two years experience as a spa therapist and hold a reflexology qualification which they wanted and as there were 50+ positions available I thought I had a high chance of getting a job!

Applied online and had my interview on Wednesday which lasted two hours - it involved a trade test, a retail test, and A&P test and a sit down interview.

All of the above (in my mind!) went very well, apart from the A&P test which I was a bit rusty on because college feels a long time ago! But all in all I thought went well!

But on Friday I got the generic email saying "thank you for coming, but unfortunately you were unsuccessful blah blah blah"

So feeling a bit low at the moment because I built it up in my head that I was getting the job!

Oh well....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you say you had a home salon.They may have thought they might lose clients to you or you might not be very flexible or have the same commitment as someone who's only job it was.
If I was having to weed people out at interview,as an employer you would be one of them for those reasons.

I stated in my application that I worked from home doing beauty and holistic treatments on paying clients.

I would rather tell them early on then waste there time interviewing me if they thought it would be a problem.

I stated in my application that I worked from home doing beauty and holistic treatments on paying clients.

I would rather tell them early on then waste there time interviewing me if they thought it would be a problem.

Yes of course you should have told them and it is possibly why they didn't employ you.

Lol... Agreed with Gillian W, as you have said, your qualifications are that good, you are only applying for part time, and, you have your own home saloon. Home saloon prices usually will be cheaper than their prices, if your services are good, mostly client who liked your service will rather go to your house. I don't think the company will like that

But I did tell them in my application! So if they had a problem with it why invite to the interview?!

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job :(
Maybe email them back asking for feedback. It could be a number of reasons, your interview technique, something you did in your trade test. Finding out why means you can work on that for the next job you go for.
If it is the home salon you could maybe look for a salon/spa that is a little further away from you so no fear for the employer that clients will follow!
I work in a salon and have my own personal clients and they don't conflict each other so it can be done. x

I have also just started working weekends in a salon and they know I'm just starting my home salon business too. I don't think that always needs to be an issue.

And I agree - if that was a concern for them then why would you be invited for an interview!?

Not many employers will take someone that's self employed aswell! Don't take it to heart, they're scared that you'll poach there clients as mentioned above because prices are cheaper. You probably would of got the job if you didn't mention being self employed but either way you don't want to get a job without telling your boss you have your own setup it could get ugly!
Perhaps get some part time work in retail or reception/officework?
Xx

But I did tell them in my application! So if they had a problem with it why invite to the interview?!

I've managed a hair & beauty salon before and did some interviewing with my boss and discussed the right candidates. When we got all of the resumes/applications we tried interviewing them all even if we knew they were self employed. At the end of the day no matter how good a self employed therapist/hairdresser is we still chose the candidates that didn't work from home - reason being is because my boss didnt want to risk losing business and the flexibility was needed. So regardless if they knew or not I can tell you that it's because you work from home!
So don't feel disheartened :) xx

I guess I was over confident that I would get the job because I had experience and the desired qualifications! And I've always been good interviews (always got every beauty job I've applied for) plus there was over 50 jobs available! So thought I was bound to get a job!

But it's a lesson learned :(

I work part time in a salon and work from home but my boss has total trust in me which I respect and would never take any clients and try not to mention my home salon in work. It all comes down to trust but yes I would ask for feedback because they should be truthful and tell you if that was the reason they decided to not take you on!?

I think logic tells you no one is going to hire any competition.

Pretty much every standard contract of employment has a clause where you agree not to work in competition with your employer. Regardless of industry.

Latest posts

Back