different prices in the salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winky

Reaction score
I'm thinking of opening a salon and hiring another nail tech to work with me (which i will train). I already have a large clientele and charge pretty high rates. The thing is, i'd like to have more affordable rates in the salon without necessarily lowering my personal rates. So my question is: is it unheard of for a salon to have different prices according to the nail tech's level of expertise?

Yes, Marco's does. i think they go something like this

trainee £15
technician £35
Senior Tech £45
Master Tech £55
Marco - prices on application (i.e loads LOL)

I think it would be perefectly normal, if people dont mind it taking a long time and probably a bit of damage to their nails inititally then model rates would be ok. you ahve different rates for hair stylists accordign to their ability.

ps. that's for his basic enhancements.

ultra french and rebalances are also priced separately depending which level technician you have.

You could have higher rates if someone specifies a particular nail technician. Hair salons charge various prices depending on standard of hair dresser so I don't see why nail technicians can't.

I am just about to start at my friends salon and she has been there ages- and seeing as im new to al this i will be working as a junior and chargins less than her- i know loads of places that do this by me

It's good to hear that this is not all that uncommon. I was afraid that clients might find this type of pricing strange. Do you think that a lot of clients will avoid having their nails done by the tech with the higher rates and go for the cheaper prices?

dont know- you may find some wont want to have their nails done by the cheaper option. It all depends on the client.
I am classed as a junior as i only recently qualified and i find that having that banner helps when it comes to people noticing that i am cheaper

i just started another thread about hiring a trainee. just if some of you read this and not that, do the trainees need to be insured. if so where can thay get it without being qualified (note the trainee part"

I think it will depend on your customers whether they choose to go with you or a cheaper tech & the difference in your work. Some people will always go for the cheapest option but many will shop around for the best, you need to figure out how choosy your clients are.

If there is a significant difference in ability then you will get your regulars sticking with you practically whatever you charge. However, if the other tech is pretty much at the same level as you then most people will not pay more for the same result.

It's a bit of a tricky situation as you obviously don't want someone who is bad as it will put customers off but if you want to have different levels then the other tech won't be up to your standards. It's a good idea in a large salon with lots of techs but if there's only 2 of you & both are qualified, it could be difficult to organise. I would make sure you think of the long-term options before you take on another tech. I doubt another tech would be happy sticking at a lower level forever. How do you decide when they qualify to raise their prices? Are you basing levels on training or experience? What happens when the other tech does extra training or gains more experience?

If you have too much work to carry on by yourself, perhaps you could bring in somebody part-time to see how it goes?

HTHs

Regarding the question about trainees, I would say that they definitely need insurance if they are carrying out any form of treatment.

Latest posts

Back