Different rent from my colleague is that fair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky n

Reaction score
hey guys!

I have just accidentley found out that the lady i work with who is a hairdresser pays less rent than i do. I am a beautician and have recentley started renting space.. The lady that pays less rent than me is the owners sister in law and she earns a fortune and i barey make my rent each week and she pays like £80 a month less than i do. I find this annoying but is it just me? Does it really matter?? Thoughts would be really appreciated as im am feeling quite annoyed!! xx:hug:

Last edited:
I would feel a bit disgruntled about it but as they are related the salon owner probably felt like she had to let have slightly cheaper rent.

how long has she rented for? it may be that the owner never put her rent up but when renting out new space felt she needed more money.

just guessing at why it is -- suppose you won't really know the answer unless you decide to ask her

well she was renting somwhere else before but we refurbed the salon and she joined us and i went full time so its been like 4 weeks! but i do feel very irritated by the whole thing!!!

Is it maybe because you rent additional space to her? Do you have your own treatment room....could be a factor.

i share a room with the other beautician she has lots more space than me all to herself and dosent help anyone where as i run around after her and her bloody clients all day! x

At the end of the day what you pay and agree to pay is what matters. I can understand you feeling a bit miffed but what you pay and earn has nothing really to do with the Hairdresser and vice-versa. You are both freelance and negotiate your own terms.

As Cathy says, perhaps it is down to you taking up a bigger space.

I rent an area in a hair salon and there is a beautician who rents a small room. I am not interested really in what she pays because I negotiate my own terms with regard to me and what I am happy to pay for my space.

Don't let it bug you too much.

Just to clarify this lady is a hair stylist ? If so then I would probably expect her to pay less rent as she is just renting a chair whereas you are renting a whole room ?

If your self employed then you don't have to run around after her and her clients, its your choice to do it and I certainly wouldn't if I wasn't getting something in return.

In reality there is very little you can do about it. If you discovered the other therapist that you share the room with was paying less rent then this would be different.

I think you are just going to have to grin and bear it :hug:

ok she dosent just rent a chair she has the whole of one side of the salon she has alot more room than i do i share 1 treatment room with the other therapist so she does have more room and when she asks me to do things i cant exactley say no! thats just rude. im just a bit irritated its hard to explain the set up of the salon so mybe this thread wasnt a good plan!

Ill work it out its just coz i only found out 2 day ive been finding it a nightmare there anyway so its just bugged me! lol!

Sorry guys rant over ! xx

If the salon is not making you happy or meeting your needs, bide your time and wait until a better option arises.

I think the only way you will get an 'ideal' set up is when you have your own salon. When you rent space you always have some sort of compromise.

Do you and the other therapist work at the same time?

You shouldn't have to run around after the hairdresser and her clients, she isn't your employer....couldn't you instead of running around after the clients start offering tint patch tests and talk about your therapies, whilst their tint is taking etc, to try and get them interested in having some of your treatments.

I just closed my salon and myself and the beauty therapist from my old shop are now renting in a hair salon and a lot of clients like the fact that it's now a one stop shop for hair, beauty and nails......market yourself instead of doing things that you don't want and shouldn't really (IMO) be doing!

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.....airing your views may also help, it's difficult but sometimes things need to be said, albeit diplomatically!

i say promote yourself get busy and you will earn loads of money its the best position to be in, and she has to do discount for family be yourself and get them in x

There could be many reasons why your rent charges are different and being related to the owner could be a perk and yes she may be on mates rates but that is between them, and you need to negotiate a rent that works for you and the salon owner as it sounds if you are not making enough at the moment.

Running around after the hairdresser's clients is obviously bugging you so I would have a quiet word with the hairdresser and let her know that unfortunately you are self employed and unable to look after her clients as you have been, as you need to put your spare time into generating new business for yourself.

It sounds as if the hairdresser has plenty of clients coming in so maybe you could offer them a free hand massage or shape and polish in your free time. It gives you a chance to break the ice with the client and for them to ask you about treatments etc. This works well for us in our salon.

Hope things work out for you :hug:

Latest posts

Back