Difficult client who won't take 'no' for an answer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elisjones88

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was wondering if you could help me.
I have a lady who has contacted me whose hair I used to do a while a back.
She wanted me to lighten her daughters hair and then tone it a silver/grey colour. As I am a mobile stylist I went to her house and looked at her hair first and decided to do a strand test as I knew she had had previous bleAch highlights and had used numerous box dyes on her hair since.
I told the lady that I would let her know how the strand test turned out and she was happy with that.
I've done the strand test and took a picture of the results and sent them to the lady (pics attached). At first she seemed glad that I did the strand test as her daughter really didn't want orange/yellow hair, but now she's messaging me asking me to foil her daughters hair and the put the silver/grey toner over it and then do more foils in a few months time, even though I've told her and shown her the result and explained to her that I'd need to get the hair to a pale yellow/white to get the grey/silver to show up but she doesn't seem to be having none of it and isn't listening to me.
I've had a problem with her being demanding before but she's being playing the sympathy card as her husband has passed away recently and her daughter really wanted it done (I feel awful saying this), but I'm not willing to do someone's hair when I'm not comfortable just because I feel sorry for them.
Anyway I was wondering if you have any advice on how to let the client know that something wouldn't be a good idea even though they really want it done? Apologies for the long post but I'd really appreciate your help.

Ps I used infinie platine bleach and 20 vol both times on the hair, first for 50 mins second time for 30.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 172
Personally I wouldn't do someone's hair i didn't feel confident on the result.

I've had this a few times at the salon I work at and I've just had to explain that with the strand result I wouldn't feel confident or comfortable doing the colour service as I couldn't guarantee the result. I usually throw in a white lie about the condition of the hair too.

Hello everyone! I was wondering if you could help me.
I have a lady who has contacted me whose hair I used to do a while a back.
She wanted me to lighten her daughters hair and then tone it a silver/grey colour. As I am a mobile stylist I went to her house and looked at her hair first and decided to do a strand test as I knew she had had previous bleAch highlights and had used numerous box dyes on her hair since.
I told the lady that I would let her know how the strand test turned out and she was happy with that.
I've done the strand test and took a picture of the results and sent them to the lady (pics attached). At first she seemed glad that I did the strand test as her daughter really didn't want orange/yellow hair, but now she's messaging me asking me to foil her daughters hair and the put the silver/grey toner over it and then do more foils in a few months time, even though I've told her and shown her the result and explained to her that I'd need to get the hair to a pale yellow/white to get the grey/silver to show up but she doesn't seem to be having none of it and isn't listening to me.
I've had a problem with her being demanding before but she's being playing the sympathy card as her husband has passed away recently and her daughter really wanted it done (I feel awful saying this), but I'm not willing to do someone's hair when I'm not comfortable just because I feel sorry for them.
Anyway I was wondering if you have any advice on how to let the client know that something wouldn't be a good idea even though they really want it done? Apologies for the long post but I'd really appreciate your help.

Ps I used infinie platine bleach and 20 vol both times on the hair, first for 50 mins second time for 30.
Just explain to her that she will be wasting her time and money, because we all know that silver is not going to grab to that hair! Make sure you make it clear that you are willing to do it, but it's going to be a slow process and take a few appointments to even begin looking at silver hair. Honestly! Sometimes clients think hair is so easy and straight forward and they can't understand why you can't take a level 4 to a level 9/ 10 silver in one appointment!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

Just tell her if she's cool with her daughters hair snapping off that's fine with you. Haha! Try telling her you know it will cause hair breakage and you're not willing to damage her daughters hair like that and you're not willing to damage your reputation by carrying out a damaging service [emoji4] xx

Let us know how it goes! X

Thanks for the replies :)
I feel awful telling her no but you'reall right, I'd rather the girl be upset that I didn't do it than be upset because all her hair has fallen out!
I did tell her mother that the hair felt awful afterwards but she was having none of it, I'm gonna have to be a lot firmer. I'll let you know what she says, thanks guys! Xx

I just text her and told her I was really uncomfortable about doing it and didn't want to upset her daughter and wreck her hair, and that I'd see her on the day we arranged as I'm doing the lady's roots, and I've just had 'okay - fine - thanks! See you Monday x' as a reply to my Long paragraph.
Hopefully she'll be okay with me when I see her for her appointment! Thanks guys x

Fingers crossed she's over it by the time you do her roots!!

Best to say no that end up wrecking her daughters hair!

Fingers crossed she's over it by the time you do her roots!!

Best to say no that end up wrecking her daughters hair!
She's usually lovely in person but can get a bit, er shall we shall we say persistent over text. Exactly, that's what I thought :)

How old is the daughter?

She will just complain when you do it and it doesnt come out like she wanted

Latest posts

Back