Dilemma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's very underhand trying to prevent you working in the busy period before Christmas. She obviously sees you as a serious threat to her business. :(

In the meantime, walk the streets and start looking for a place to rent. Also, sort out your business cards with a mobile contact number.

Be proactive and take control of your own destiny.

Stay positive and focussed. :)

Already on it. She's just such a cow for doing this!! I will be contacting my clients now and looking for somewhere to rent 👍

She's now calling my clients and telling them that I've left but she'll do their hair. Where do I stand in this? I didn't sign any kind of contract since being self employed so could I contact mine? It seems so unfair that I'm now jobless just before Xmas! Xx

She's now calling my clients and telling them that I've left but she'll do their hair. Where do I stand in this? I didn't sign any kind of contract since being self employed so could I contact mine? It seems so unfair that I'm now jobless just before Xmas! Xx

Take a deep breath and call all your clients. If they want you, then they are your clients. There is nothing she can do.

I wish you the very best of luck. I can't believe some people x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Take a deep breath and call all your clients. If they want you, then they are your clients. There is nothing she can do.

I wish you the very best of luck. I can't believe some people x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you! I'm so stressed out! 😳
I'm concerned that she might take me to court if she gets wind of me contacting them 😢 xx

But equally I didn't sign a contract when I became self employed. So confused 😩 xx

She cannot take you to court when you contact your clients. They effectively became your clients when you worked on them as a self employed hairdresser.

Don't worry about the lack of a written contract. She stopped paying you via the PAYE system and therefore hasn't paid NI or Tax on your 'wages' since that date.

She will get into trouble with HMRC as she's trying to argue you're both self employed (no tax & NI) and employed at the same time by telling you not to contact (her/your) clients.

Once she stopped paying you as an employee, they became your clients.

HMRC will come down on her hard. Tell her you will be speaking to HMRC to clarify your situation about whose clients they are and see what she says.
[evil cackle...]

She cannot take you to court when you contact your clients. They effectively became your clients when you worked on them as a self employed hairdresser.

Don't worry about the lack of a written contract. She stopped paying you via the PAYE system and therefore hasn't paid NI or Tax on your 'wages' since that date.

She will get into trouble with HMRC as she's trying to argue you're both self employed (no tax & NI) and employed at the same time by telling you not to contact (her/your) clients.

Once she stopped paying you as an employee, they became your clients.

HMRC will come down on her hard. Tell her you will be speaking to HMRC to clarify your situation about whose clients they are and see what she says.

[evil cackle...]

Hahaha! Thank you!! What a weight from my mind! Cheers for all your help guys!! 👍 x

Did you speak to her about renting a chair? If so how'd it go? I'm currently training towards my NVQ and after reading about all the salon dramas will definitely be sticking to mobile work for now. Hope you sort it out you work hard you deserve to get more than 35% x

Sorry just read a bit I missed, just getting to grips with the mobile app.

Hope you find somewhere much better to rent! What a nightmare x

Yeah tbh even if she stops sh*t stirring after this, report her to hmrc anyway because what shes doing is wrong and she will probably try it on someone else.

Shelli87- i dont think rent a chair is the issue here, more the salon "employing" the op in a totally illegal way and getting shirty when she wants to make her circumstances better. They have essentially screwed her over in various different ways. Thats the real risk, is from dodgey uncontracted employment! In this instance being self employed is much safer because as long as you know your rights and are assertive with negotiations on rent or splitting money taken you are actually much better off.
This is why everyone looking for either type of work needs to make sure they know as much as possible about employment laws and their statutory working rights :)

Yes I totally agree that's why j went into beauty at first so many awful bosses I wanted to work for myself and 2 years in I wouldn't want to go back just expanding. I don't know how they get away with it, like you said people are not aware of their rights I think.

Sorry to jump on your thread don I often think this if I were to leave the salon could I contact my clients?!
I'm also self employed with no contract but they came through the door as salon clients but now they are mine could she say or do anything If I contact them?
I respect her as a person so I wouldn't want to do anything I wasn't supposed to x

Sorry to jump on your thread don I often think this if I were to leave the salon could I contact my clients?!
I'm also self employed with no contract but they came through the door as salon clients but now they are mine could she say or do anything If I contact them?
I respect her as a person so I wouldn't want to do anything I wasn't supposed to x

If your self empoloyed then you are running your own business within the Salon, the clients are yours not the salons,you should be taking their bills and keeping their records x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

If your self empoloyed then you are running your own business within the Salon, the clients are yours not the salons,you should be taking their bills and keeping their records x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

You're from Luton Jamie? Same as me lol.

Right ok. I'm sure you are definitely right, I just doubt she sees it this way! X

Reading all these comment's makes me as a salon owner very sad.
When did it become 'them and us'........What ever happened to 'team work'?
If those employed by 'greedy bosses' feel so aggrieved, then go get your own salon off the ground.
I've worked in salon's as an employed person, and from time to time felt 'used'. However, now I am that 'boss', boy, do I see it differently.
There is a MASSIVE RISK you take, not just with your finances....the stress is BIG.
Please think carefully before you 'hung, draw, and quarter' your employer.....things aren't always as they seem.
Cars and other luxury items, are often just added to our monthly debt! :sad:

Reading all these comment's makes me as a salon owner very sad.
When did it become 'them and us'........What ever happened to 'team work'?
If those employed by 'greedy bosses' feel so aggrieved, then go get your own salon off the ground.
I've worked in salon's as an employed person, and from time to time felt 'used'. However, now I am that 'boss', boy, do I see it differently.
There is a MASSIVE RISK you take, not just with your finances....the stress is BIG.
Please think carefully before you 'hung, draw, and quarter' your employer.....things aren't always as they seem.
Cars and other luxury items, are often just added to our monthly debt! :sad:

That's fair enough to say but your staff still need to.be treated properly

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

£75 a day is madness for a chair, and so is the current rate your paying. I'd find a nice, reputable salon nearby and start up there with your clients

£75 a day is madness for a chair, and so is the current rate your paying. I'd find a nice, reputable salon nearby and start up there with your clients

A lot of my clients are wanting me to do their hair at home so hopefully I can find a salon soon but I'm quite enjoying mobile atm 👍

Latest posts

Back