Dirt under clients fingernails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before my clients sit down i walk them over to the sink and as im walking them over i just explain to them that we need to wash our hands before commencing the treatment. I have a pump bottle of liquid soap, nail brush, paper towel and pump bottle of sanistiser gel at the basin. I wash my hands first and then ask them to wash their hands after me. Ive had a few clients ask why i do this as they havent been to a salon that enforces this and i tell explain to them that the health and hygiene of myself and my clients is important when providing treatments. They usually appreciate that the salon has a high standard of health and hygiene.

For the hairdressers in this convo, when I have my hair dyed I do leave it unwashed cos I heard that the dye takes better is that right? Or am I just being a scrubber? X

For the hairdressers in this convo, when I have my hair dyed I do leave it unwashed cos I heard that the dye takes better is that right? Or am I just being a scrubber? X

Lol, it's got nothing to do with how well the colour takes.
If you're having a full head of colour or bleach, it's best to leave hair unwashed for a day beforehand so that you have some natural scalp oils protecting your scalp from the chemicals.
Seriously dirty hair is a definite no no.

If you're having foils or non scalp colour, then clean hair is fine.

After reading what the hairdressers think about clients with dirty hair, i feel like the biggest grot in the world :(:(
I also thought hairdressers preferred unwashed hair for when colouring clients hair. Not only that, ive lost count on the amount of times ive gotten a haircut straight after work with my hair full of gel and hairspray and theyve had to wash my hair before cutting it :oops:
Perhaps these other grots with dirty fingernails didnt actually realise like me just how grotty they are

I'm in the hair business so I'm not sure if it's different but people come in with dirty hair and its part of the service to wash it first before I cut it. How is dirty nails any different than that? Not knocking that they should definitely come in with them clean, just like I would definitely come with my hair clean even though I'm getting it washed. Just another perspective.

Do you not pay extra to have your hair washed? I rarely get mine cut as my anxiety doesn't allow me to so i wouldn't know.

Good job I know my hairdresser likes me then! Seems I am grotty hahaha. Tbh though I do kind of think it's part of the job, we signed up to 'touch' our clients. When I used to work in a spa doing a full body massage on a man the hairs on their legs used to like rub off and get stuck in the oil and my palms would be covered. I used to pretend rubbing them back onto them was part of the massage hahaha

I've seen clients caked with faeces under their nails. This is in a nursing home for dementia patients. Apparently some become obsessed with bodily functions. The "carers" said it wasn't their job to clean them, which is why they thought hiring a nail tech (me) would solve the problem. I point blank refused to touch them. I'm not having my tools and towels contaminated. So who is responsible for cleaning the sh** out, I wonder?

I get lots of calls too from relatives of the elderly who ask me to come and cut nails. I have to tell them over the phone that if they're dirty, I'm not touching them and will walk out.

I've seen clients caked with faeces under their nails. This is in a nursing home for dementia patients. Apparently some become obsessed with bodily functions. The "carers" said it wasn't their job to clean them, which is why they thought hiring a nail tech (me) would solve the problem. I point blank refused to touch them. I'm not having my tools and towels contaminated. So who is responsible for cleaning the sh** out, I wonder?

I get lots of calls too from relatives of the elderly who ask me to come and cut nails. I have to tell them over the phone that if they're dirty, I'm not touching them and will walk out.
Experienced the poo situation before too [emoji17] and it was on an elderly lady in care too. It's frightening really the 'care' some places and companies give. X

It's a tricky one. My nails always look filthy. I clean them at least twice a day. With an orange stick. Not scrubbing them. And I'm a hairdresser so they're pretty much always in water.

And I have yucky clients that come in with gross hair. I usually find if I can't get my comb through or won't sit right because of the grease I'll wash it. (A little huffy puffy mind, if they're not booked a wash).

I suppose you know what's under your nails so you don't think they're that bad. (Because mines not poo).

And in regards to not showering before wax or massage, I heard you're not supposed to shower before a wax? And for a massage I usually go straight after work [emoji15]

I think some clients are surprised at just how dirty their nails are after a soak off. Most are very apologetic. As I am still wearing my gloves at this point, I clean under the nail and wipe it into a tissue. The chances are that I will have to remove the filing dust from underneath it later so it makes sense to do it then. After all, do I want the dirt in my polishes or gels? Nope.

And as for the ladies and gents in the homes that are suffering illnesses like dementia, if I can't just clean out from under their nails for them, to stop them putting the dirt back into their mouths or whatever, then I don't know what the world is coming to.

Plus, there's nothing like seeing pictures of lovely manicures spoilt by a dark line under the free edge showing through the gel or polish.

No disrespect to you Chela but have you ever cleaned faeces out from under fingernails? The stench is enough to make you puke. Honestly, I'd rather clean doggy do do a than ever go through that again. I dont mind a bit of gardening soil. I have some keen gardening clients and the apologise as its hard to get soil out from the ridges under the free edge. Anyway, cleaning human excrement wasn't in my training. I don't recall the "cleaning faeces" lesson at college, unless I was off that day.

It's a tricky one. My nails always look filthy. I clean them at least twice a day. With an orange stick. Not scrubbing them. And I'm a hairdresser so they're pretty much always in water.

And I have yucky clients that come in with gross hair. I usually find if I can't get my comb through or won't sit right because of the grease I'll wash it. (A little huffy puffy mind, if they're not booked a wash).

I suppose you know what's under your nails so you don't think they're that bad. (Because mines not poo).

And in regards to not showering before wax or massage, I heard you're not supposed to shower before a wax? And for a massage I usually go straight after work [emoji15]

You should ALWAYS shower before a wax. Especially for intimate waxing. Although we apply a pre wax lotion, a nice clean skin makes the treatment a lot easier for the client and the therapist.

I work as a therapist in a hairdressers and have no problem washing greasy hair. Yes its a bit urgh to look at but you know what it is, oil from the scalp. You DON'T know whats under someones nails.

No disrespect to you Chela but have you ever cleaned faeces out from under fingernails? The stench is enough to make you puke. Honestly, I'd rather clean doggy do do a than ever go through that again. I dont mind a bit of gardening soil. I have some keen gardening clients and the apologise as its hard to get soil out from the ridges under the free edge. Anyway, cleaning human excrement wasn't in my training. I don't recall the "cleaning faeces" lesson at college, unless I was off that day.

I have Lou Lou. And of course it's not pleasant. I have worked as a cleaner in a home for men with learning difficulties and mental health issues, so I would say that the amount that would be found under anyone's fingernails is relatively small in comparison to what I have dealt with there.

It is your choice to go to this home, and no disrespect to you either, but why do you go there if it is a problem? I would imagine that the environment is quite different to working in a salon or mobile with regular clients.

I think, ch-ela, that because of the comparison you make with other jobs you say you have had, that you are a lot more tolerant. :)

I think the poo thing should definitely be the job of the carers who take care of baths and personal care. Since they would be responsible for bed changing, personal cleanliness etc, that is part of their job.

Let's not forget poo can carry viruses and bacteria and should be disposed of along with other offensive waste and bodily fluids.

It's interesting reading what everyone thinks :)

For hands I put some soapless cleanser on a nail brush, dip it water, turn their hands over and scrub back and forth across the underside of their nails over a bowl of water. That way I'm not poking under the nail with an implement, and they go away with immaculate nails!
I personally live off grid and this is a great trick to clean nails

Folks....there's greasy hair, and there's GREASEY HAIR......
Yes, OF COURSE we wash the hair before styling, BUT we do have to 'work it' during the consultation,
and I've sometimes wondered if it's raining outside, as the hair looks wet!!!!!! :p:p:p:p (please note this is the ODD client nowday's, most are almost fanatical about washing their hair!)

POO.......really.......Oh my, I would definitely get all client's to the basin for a wash and nail scrub BEFORE they sit at the nail station.:D

I have Lou Lou. And of course it's not pleasant. I have worked as a cleaner in a home for men with learning difficulties and mental health issues, so I would say that the amount that would be found under anyone's fingernails is relatively small in comparison to what I have dealt with there.

It is your choice to go to this home, and no disrespect to you either, but why do you go there if it is a problem? I would imagine that the environment is quite different to working in a salon or mobile with regular clients.

I don't go there. I quit. As soon as they thought they could get me to start doing "personal" care, I walked out. I'm sorry, but as a carer you can expect these duties. The carers tried to get out of it by lumbering that task onto me. I am a nail technician. It's not in my job description. Cleaning pooh is not what I trained for.

I'm a hairdresser and I have no problem with a client with greasy hair, as said above they pay extra for a wash and blowdry as long as they apologise/point it out! I had one lady who looked like she hadn't washed it in 2 weeks and the fact she didn't point it out made me wonder about her standards of hygiene!! But it's quite common have a client come in for a wash cut and blowdry and they say they washed their hair last night or that morning! But I do agree that with nails that's disgusting! I always find mine get quite dirty under my extensions so I ALWys soak my hands before I'd be so embarrassed if I didn't!!

Latest posts

Back