Dirt under clients fingernails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to any hairdressers out there, if a client came in with poo in their hair would you still wash it?

(How this has turned into a poo debate makes me lol)

I get a few farmers in. I probably do have clients with poo on their hair!!

Cow poo different to human though as cows are vegetarian!

I get a few farmers in. I probably do have clients with poo on their hair!!

Yuck. Omg I love that I made this thread. So many methods to get clients to wash that nastiness out from under their nails without feeling offended. As for poo in their hair I dont even know tbh loooool I just find the concept funny. The one thing I would leave literally gagging from is if a client came in for an intimate wax and still had poo residue on their buttcrack (I never plan on waxing so there)

Yuck. Omg I love that I made this thread. So many methods to get clients to wash that nastiness out from under their nails without feeling offended. As for poo in their hair I dont even know tbh loooool I just find the concept funny. The one thing I would leave literally gagging from is if a client came in for an intimate wax and still had poo residue on their buttcrack (I never plan on waxing so there)
Ive had a client pee on me during a Brazilian wax. The warmth of the wax made her pee. She was pretty embarrassed the poor thing. I just told her it happens a lot ( it doesnt lol!) I can laugh about it now but i was pretty horrified when it happened haha

Please be a little kinder ladies!
I'm a keen gardener and I don't often garden with gloves on. I do all the DIY in the house as well so literally anything can end up under my nails! (Soil, paint, cement etc)
If I'm having my nails done for a holiday I'll do my best to keep them clean and get any dirt out before going to the salon, but I don't have hand soaks and nail brushes like you might have

If a nail tech then looked down their nose at me, tutted or was a rude to me because I still had some soil under my nails. I would be soo upset and wouldn't be going back.

Just remember some of us have very practical jobs/ hobbies and it's no always poo under our nails! :)

Please be a little kinder ladies!
I'm a keen gardener and I don't often garden with gloves on. I do all the DIY in the house as well so literally anything can end up under my nails! (Soil, paint, cement etc)
If I'm having my nails done for a holiday I'll do my best to keep them clean and get any dirt out before going to the salon, but I don't have hand soaks and nail brushes like you might have

If a nail tech then looked down their nose at me, tutted or was a rude to me because I still had some soil under my nails. I would be soo upset and wouldn't be going back.

Just remember some of us have very practical jobs/ hobbies and it's no always poo under our nails! :)

You dont wear gloves to protect your skin and nails? I myself get the client to wash their hands as im strict on hygiene practices and also dirt gets trapped under the nails and whats the point of getting a freshly painted set of nails if the dirt shows through? Anyway i guess we all have our own preferences :)

You dont wear gloves to protect your skin and nails?

Handling brambles, nettles or pulling up big weeds..yes. but have you ever tried filling pots and planting carrot seeds with gloves? Lol

Handling brambles, nettles or pulling up big weeds..yes. but have you ever tried filling pots and planting carrot seeds with gloves? Lol
Cant say that i have, no lol
Fair point :)

If I went to have my nails done and had dirt under my finger nails I would ask if I could get the dirt out myself. I would be too embarrassed to let someone else sit and dig the dirt out for me as it relates to my personal hygiene... To me it's the same like making sure u are clean before u go for a smear test or brushing Ur teeth before going to the dentist... (Never had an intimate wax as doing my eyebrows makes me cry so would probably faint!) lol. I know it's not always practical / possible to go in with Ur nails clean but you don't have to let the nail tech do Ur cleaning for u! You can always say "sorry I've just noticed this dirt under my nails, let me just clean them quick".

Maybe a pot of orange sticks placed within reach would be a good idea. X

POO.......really.......Oh my, I would definitely get all client's to the basin for a wash and nail scrub BEFORE they sit at the nail station.:D
But when they are in wheelchairs, or they have real artharitus they cannot possibly get to the basin. I worked in a dementia home years ago as a manicurist, and it was my job to give them a manicure. Which involves warm water and soap in a manicure bowl. Its our job. to manicure the nails. Which means clean them and make them nice.

O.K.....how about wearing gloves......I think that would be acceptable, at least for the initial washing/sanitising of the hands.

Yes wear gloves if you feel you need to. But you can get through a lot of gloves. Washing your hands throughly in between each client with anti bacterial is better, but can dry your hands out. There's no easy answer :)

I think if you're ok doing it. Do it. If not, don't.

There's probably some clients you would do it for and others you wouldn't.

I've got clients, who, if they needed me to, I would wipe their arse (not happily mind, but I would) and there's others that I wouldn't give the bus fair to!

Some of you ladies should be greatful you don't live or work with a majority Indian community where eating with their hands is standard. They expect you to clean under their nails even with lord knows what else is under I had to hold my breathe once or twice , they get very snooty and rude of you don't! So if you don't like it then don't be a manicurist. At same token I charge double anyone else does my clients are loyal.

Some of you ladies should be greatful you don't live or work with a majority Indian community where eating with their hands is standard. They expect you to clean under their nails even with lord knows what else is under I had to hold my breathe once or twice , they get very snooty and rude of you don't! So if you don't like it then don't be a manicurist. At same token I charge double anyone else does my clients are loyal.

So you're saying if were not cleaning up after something that's the clients responsibility, we shouldn't be manicurists? Would you clean someone's backside before giving them an intimate wax?
Thought not lol

So you're saying if were not cleaning up after something that's the clients responsibility, we shouldn't be manicurists? Would you clean someone's backside before giving them an intimate wax?
Thought not lol

Would you not give a quick wipe with disinfected to ensure for yourself that it IS clean?

Would you not give a quick wipe with disinfected to ensure for yourself that it IS clean?

No. Id give them the wipe to clean their backside themselves

I have no problem with garden dirt under nails. I have some keen gardener clients who scrub and scrub but some of the dirt has stained their nails. I clean them as best I can. Doesn't bother me. I just draw the line at faeces. I ain't cleaning up no pooh. No siree. It's not happening in my world. I don't give a s**t if that makes me a bad manicurist (pardon the pun). It wasn't in my job description when I went to college.

Latest posts

Back