Dirt under clients fingernails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy_princess

Reaction score
I get a lot of clients with dirt under their nails and trying to clean it genuinely makes me feel nauseous cause I dunno if theres poo or blood under there and its gross so I just leave it.
Do you guys prefer to leave the dirt for them to clean (cause it's their responsibility) or do you clean up what's there. How do you clean it? personally can't hack it :& I've been thinking to keep a nail brush at the sink and just send them over there to scrub their nails with soap

I wouldn't want a client to feel like you thought they were dirty and send them over to scrub. I know it's gross though I would never turn up with dirty nails! and it adds time to your prep. You could have a soak off bowl with some nice smelling hand soak in and keep swapping when you are prepping. Ppl will probably feel like it's a nice extra touch but really you are softening or getting rid of their crud! Whatever is left should lift our pretty easy, put it straight on a tissue and spray sanitizer until you feel better!! X

If i saw a client with really dirty finger nails i would send them to wash there hands and scrub under their nails.

I don't think its rude at all, i think it's more rude of the client to turn up with flithy nails!!

I did once have a client who appeared to have red nail polish stuck around all of her cuticles… and while doing cuticle work a funny smell was coming from them…. it was just before christmas and turns out she was wringing turkeys necks all morning, arrrgghhhhh !!!! lol

Seriously though i see dirty finger nails as the same as someone coming for a wax with a dirty bum…. no excuse and like you said it could be anything stuck under finger nails so just get them to scrub them. Obviously the manner in which you approach this will determine wither or not the client will take offense, i wouldn't tell them off for having dirty finger nails, I would just act like i get everyone to scrub under their nails before each service ;)

If i saw a client with really dirty finger nails i would send them to wash there hands and scrub under their nails.

I don't think its rude at all, i think it's more rude of the client to turn up with flithy nails!!

I did once have a client who appeared to have red nail polish stuck around all of her cuticles… and while doing cuticle work a funny smell was coming from them…. it was just before christmas and turns out she was wringing turkeys necks all morning, arrrgghhhhh !!!! lol

Seriously though i see dirty finger nails as the same as someone coming for a wax with a dirty bum…. no excuse and like you said it could be anything stuck under finger nails so just get them to scrub them. Obviously the manner in which you approach this will determine wither or not the client will take offense, i wouldn't tell them off for having dirty finger nails, I would just act like i get everyone to scrub under their nails before each service ;)

HAHA omg that absolutely cracked me up - thank you!

I agree though, I think it's rude of them to turn up with filthy nails! If it were a manicure I was doing I'd probably try and get some of it out, if it was a standard Shellac, no, I'd leave it in there! Urgh! xx

I've had a client come for a file & polish on the toes with dirt under her toenails and ask me to clean it out for her. She didn't ask politely or anything it was literally just 'ehh will you get out all that dirt under them for me. I nearly threw up. She wasn't overweight or anything and didn't have any back problems (from consultation form) so there was no reason why she couldn't do it herself or soak them in water to clean them out. Honestly it made me feel about 2 feet tall like she thought so little of me and that I was her maid or slave.
I just said Im sorry its not part of the service and I dont have any tools for cleaning out under nails.
Ive never had anyone expect me to clean under their finger nails. No one has ever come knowingly with dirty nails, occasionally I'll do a gel polish removal and they'll be mortified and apologise profusely saying they didn't realise they we're dirty from under the polish. I just casually ask if they want to go wash them in the sink before I start. They always say yes.

I dont think i would ever come in with dirty nails (and definitely not a dirty bum for waxing!! I would be mortified!!) but honestly, I see it as a not so good part of the service and letting a client leave with dirty fingernails to me reflects poorly on the nail tech in other people's eyes ("oh I just got my nails done at so and so, you like?", glances at dirty nails, "Uhhhh...."). It's like leaving the hair salon with ugly hair. I feel like you just have to put one foot in front of another and deal with it. I would put gloves on and clean them. And dont always assume its sowmthing gross hiding under there. Maybe they like to work in the garden or something (although the chicken blood mentioned in one of the posts was kind of gross)

For hands I put some soapless cleanser on a nail brush, dip it water, turn their hands over and scrub back and forth across the underside of their nails over a bowl of water. That way I'm not poking under the nail with an implement, and they go away with immaculate nails!

I've had a client come for a file & polish on the toes with dirt under her toenails and ask me to clean it out for her. She didn't ask politely or anything it was literally just 'ehh will you get out all that dirt under them for me. I nearly threw up. She wasn't overweight or anything and didn't have any back problems (from consultation form) so there was no reason why she couldn't do it herself or soak them in water to clean them out. Honestly it made me feel about 2 feet tall like she thought so little of me and that I was her maid or slave.
I just said Im sorry its not part of the service and I dont have any tools for cleaning out under nails.
Ive never had anyone expect me to clean under their finger nails. No one has ever come knowingly with dirty nails, occasionally I'll do a gel polish removal and they'll be mortified and apologise profusely saying they didn't realise they we're dirty from under the polish. I just casually ask if they want to go wash them in the sink before I start. They always say yes.

Wow that is unbelievably inconsiderate of her. I probably would have barfed everywhere at the thought of scraping out all that dirt and toe jam *shudder*

Well I leave it. It only happens occasionally anyway but I'm not doing that. How disrespectful are they to turn up like that anyway!

And the last thing I want directly before applying shellac or acrylics is to soak their hands in water!

I just ignore it. If they remark on it, I say I'll do more harm than good poking around, just use your nailbrush in the bath later.

Except they might not have a bath either lol

I agree with blossom.
I personally would never do it regardless of what another tech says is part of the 'service'. Its not my job to physically wash someone. Most colours cover it anyway so its not like they're leaving the salon with dirty looking fingers. Its basic hygiene and not that awful to expect someone to have it done before they come in.

Re using the scrubbing brush to clean under the nails - it doesn't require soaking - you simply hold the hand above the water to catch the suds generated by the brushing action. I do this before GELEration, as much as to remove any filing dust beneath the nails as any dirt, and it has never impacted the service or longevity of the gels wear.

Unless they're old and can't see properly and aren't really with it, then yes I'd find it rude too! You wouldn't go for a massage or a wax without showering first! I don't do it unless they ask me to, and when I do I do it quick and briefly and try not to look at what's come out (urgh gross). It doesn't happen where I work too often, and we get a lot of oldies in. When it does happen they often say something like "oh I'm so sorry my nails are so dirty" and pretty much do it themselves in a panic.
If it's a big problem and happens a lot, maybe after soaking get a nail brush and briefly scrub over them and have it as part of your usual routine xxx

:D:D:D (no longer a 'laughing emoji, so I've had to improvise)
Glad you nail techs get this problem......us hairdressers have to 'suffer' grease, scales, and on the odd occasion, nit's :eek:!
Isn't always as glam in the 'beauty business' as people might think!

I refuse to service anyone with dirty nails. I don't care if I lose a client. Dirty clients are clients I don't want.

Glad you nail techs get this problem......us hairdressers have to 'suffer' grease, scales, and on the odd occasion, nit's :eek:!
Nooooooo!! Grease. Just no!! Haha x

I'm in the hair business so I'm not sure if it's different but people come in with dirty hair and its part of the service to wash it first before I cut it. How is dirty nails any different than that? Not knocking that they should definitely come in with them clean, just like I would definitely come with my hair clean even though I'm getting it washed. Just another perspective.

I have a couple of what I would call "crudy" ladies. I keep a fresh spray bottle with a little soap on my station. I use it after I use CND cuticle away to deactivate the removed and wash it off. If I need to I'll spray liberally and run my nail brush across the back of the nails too. If that don't get it all they are just outta luck.
For feet I use the same method if it's a waterless procedure and I have some antiseptic spray handy too.

Sent from my VS980 4G using SalonGeek mobile app

Thats the way I see it too!

I'm in the hair business so I'm not sure if it's different but people come in with dirty hair and its part of the service to wash it first before I cut it. How is dirty nails any different than that? Not knocking that they should definitely come in with them clean, just like I would definitely come with my hair clean even though I'm getting it washed. Just another perspective.

It's different because your clients book for a wash cut & blow dry surely? Mine don't book for a wash and infills lol

They book for a haircut and that's just what comes with the haircut. They don't book for that exclusively

Latest posts

Back