Discoloured Acrylic nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavander Rose

Reaction score
Hi

I had a set of Acrylic Nalils done last Thursday for our christmeas party ( first time ever had them done ).

After having them on for a week they have discoloured like a yellowish colour and have had to have 3 nails replaced since as they have come off.

I was also told that after 2 weeks i would have to go back and have infills done but looking at a couple of the nails they seem like they need doing .

Can anyone tell me why my nails have discoloured after only having them on for 9 days??

There could be a possibility of brush contamination. I took out a brush I hadn't used for some time and while cleaning it and wiping the liquid off on a towlette, there was some yellowing on the towelette. I always clean my brushes well but hadnt used the older one as I ordered a new one. (wasnt to happy with the new one - so grabbed the old one again)

Also dont store brushes upright in a container, LCN have a small metal ring ( a brush holder) it has double sided tape, you can stick the brush holder onto the side of your nail table, or onto the top of your table light - and place your brush in it upside down (with the brush hairs ) pointing toward the floor (hope it makes sense). In this way no monomer is stored in the barrel of your brush which can get contaminated. another possibility can be that the acrylic was applied to your nails while the primer was still too wet, it depends on the system the nail technician is using. Don't know if this was helpful - but i also struggled with this sometime ago and found out it was the monomer in the brush placed upright in a container and wet primer.:)

To be honest you really would be better discussing this with the salon where they were applied as they will know better what has happened when they see your nails.

Problems with the nails is not always down to the tech, in fact if they are experienced and good then problems are usually down to the client. Nails don't come off unless force is applied, although the way the product is applied can be a factor in the nails not being as strong as they could be, and also the platform that the tech had to work on (bitten nails will not fare as well as those built on a beautiful nail plate)

Yellowing can be down to all sorts of factors - smoking, fingers in a curry, use of sunbeds, use of inferior products by the tech etc etc.

We can only give clues, but it's down to your tech to sort this out hun.

And 2 weeks is only a guide, some people need to come weekly (Some don't even make them last that long cos they bite or pick them off), some can go 6 weeks and still no problems other than they are very grown out.

It's not an exact science and everyone is different!

Thankyou to the two who have replyed.

I just wanted to point out to the last reply,,,

1. I dont smoke
2. I Hate curry
3. I dont do sunbeds for sensible health and saftey reasons.
4. I have,nt used any other tanning products while my nails have been done.
5. I have never bitten my nails so hav,nt got crap nails to start off with.

Its not just my nails its the other girls nails i work with,,, I work in the same place as the nail tech and ive only been there 2 weeks so its a bit difficult asking her HENCE why I have asked you lot on her or shall i say the two that have replied. ; )

two other girls in the salon have had them done and theres is the same so it must be something the nail tech is doing,

Last edited:
Hi hun, they were just suggestions really which is why I said you're best to speak to the tech. I hope you get it sorted.

I do too my right littlefinger has lifted up a bit and its really hurting me and finger feels warm.

to be honest i carnt wait to get them off, they have all gone a yellow colour and some look cloudy even the three new ones that I had replaced on Saturday,

I will definatly ask the nail tech when i get in to work tomorrow and see what is going on, as i am not the only one in the salon who has had nails done by her and theres is the same.

Thanks for all the advise

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back