Disinfection question - spores

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I think I'm going mad! I have a disinfection question. Disinfection is used on hard surfaces to kill pathogens and bacteria for a limited period of time, but does it destroy spores? I was advised that it doesn't.

Also, does Barbicide kill spores? I thought it did (or just reduce them), but I may be wrong.

This has really been bugging me since I've been reading books that say different things. Many college books gloss over the surface and I want to be sure what I'm talking about when advising students / clients.

Sam xx

Only complete sterilization will kill spores-such as the methods used for a hospital operating room.

In a salon environment, disinfection is suitable. Comparable to sterilization except it will not kill spores.

No, barbicide will not kill spores.

When I saw your post at first, it took me a minute to remember what type infection category a spore fell into. A spore is a form of Fungis. Once I researched that I had to actually pull out some of my school books to look this up. The most common form of this is Tinea Pedis or more commonly called (Athletes Foot). With that said your common disinfectants should suffice. The only other thing I will always recomend is disposable files and buffers or at least strictly following guidlines for properly cleaning them. Only a Medical Physician should treat or give any advice on someone that you see has spores or a form of it. If you see this do NOT perform services on them because they can spread this to you or other people they come in contact with that have any broken or open skin; ie a cut or scratch. Hope this information helps!

Spores are not only fungi, but can be bacteria (think Anthrax) or plant (think seeds).

Spores have a tough outer shell that protects it from unfavorable conditions, such as dust and extreme heat, etc. When conditions become favorable again the spores can reproduce (they are asexual).

Again, spores are not something that we need to worry about in a salon environment.

Some disinfectants (such as Mundo Rapid Instrument & Tool Disinfectant and Mundo Concentrated Instrument & Tool Disinfectant) are sporicidal - ie they WILL destroy spores.

Some spores - such as Clostridium Difficile (C-Diff) present a significant hazard (mainly in the hospital environment).

If you have the choice of a disinfectant that is sporicidal and one that isn't, doesn't it make sense to use the one that IS sporicidal - especially if it isn't going to cost you any more?

As the World Health Organisation points out; 'there are more diseases now than in any other time in mankind's history'.

Now is the time to be reviewing salon hygiene standards to protect yourself and your clients.

Latest posts

Back