Do I need to offer L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soniamarie

Reaction score
hi , just wondered how many of you only offer gels, eg. Bio, Calgel, NSI soak off gel. Am trying to decide if I need to offer l&p as it is popular would I loose out client wise, are there enough people wanting just gels.. Just there is a course that I can do in a couple of weeks which is a vtct and costs a lot so wondering what to do.

Weigh up if you're genuinely interested in using l and p. Sometimes it can be hard to know without having tried it. It's not unusual to train in something that you don't really like doing and then never use the skill anyway. On the other hand you might do the course and love it.

Some clients are happy just with someone who can do gel polish. The fact that you offer gel enhancements is a plus to that. Being able to do acrylics means you can cast your net wider but it's not strictly necessary for being able to get the number of clients you want/need.

Personally, I wanted to offer all three main systems as not every nail is suitable for each one and it was important to me to be able to 'prescribe' the most appropriate treatment for each client.

However, I agree with Laura Kate; there are plenty of techs/salons who only offer one or two so don't feel forced, unless you know there's call for it.

My salon has never had L&p and never will. we are a natural nail salon and have had tons of success. We do offer a soak off gel overlay for clients who need extra support but we will not use products that require filing and the dust that comes with it. My salon smells like essential oils- not monomer and I am not breathing in micro plastic dust all day.

It's also very dependent on where you live. I have only been asked for Hard Gels twice. My area is very acrylic and gel polish orientated.

I only use hard gel as I just could never get on with liquid and powder.
I get asked for acrylic all the time but only because not many people have heard of hard gel, I just explain to them the differences in the way it is applied etc. and they normally come anyway :)
I don't think it matters as long as they know you can still offer them high quality extensions!

As mentioned some good tips already given by the ladies here .
Is dependent on your clientele and how many other salons in your area offer the same services .

I use Calgel and Nsi acrylic and nsi gel polishes and fibre glass nails as I think I have so many clients with various health issues for ex heart conditions and her acrylics won't stay on but using later gel over it seems to hold well. So I am glad I have the option of all 4 ranges :)

As mentioned some good tips already given by the ladies here .
Is dependent on your clientele and how many other salons in your area offer the same services .

I use Calgel and Nsi acrylic and nsi gel polishes and fibre glass nails as I think I have so many clients with various health issues for ex heart conditions and her acrylics won't stay on but using later gel over it seems to hold well. So I am glad I have the option of all 4 ranges :)
Hi thank you for reply, I use Calgel at the moment so will see how things go but I also trained in fibreglass do you do many of them, just wondering, as not one we hear much about now.

Thank you all for your replies, I am going to start out with Calgel which I am trained with and see how I go, if I get asked a lot for other treatments then I may look in to further training, but for now I will stick with what I chose because its designed for the natural nail.

I use it to repair nails but not doing full sets of fibre anymore , that died out about 10 years ago in my country. However I have a friend in another town who has as preferred clients only having fibre nails. She is an amazing technician so her nails look amazing.

You can use fibre and Calgel over the fibre to ad strength instead of using glue . There is a YouTube video about that somewhere .

My salon has never had L&p and never will. we are a natural nail salon and have had tons of success. We do offer a soak off gel overlay for clients who need extra support but we will not use products that require filing and the dust that comes with it. My salon smells like essential oils- not monomer and I am not breathing in micro plastic dust all day.

Can I please ask what products you use?

We currently use Akzentz soft gel crystal clear and their other new product Luxio Build.

Thank you. Not sure if I can get that in the uk, but I will have a look.

Latest posts

Back