Do I take the plunge, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJBD

Reaction score
Hey, I've been a hairdresser for 5 years now In a salon. I am employed by the company. I am struggling going to work and enjoying it at the moment as it's making me depressed. I love my job, doing hair, colour cuts, hair ups, hair extensions , nails the lot. And for the past few months I've been doing friends and families hair and nails outside work as they don't feel comfortable as a few staff members make them feel unwelcome. I have all the equipment to go mobile, and potential clients but I am just unsure what to do. I have no savings as of yet but I was going to save some money before hand so I have a backup incase business is slow.. and so I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice or if they have been in a similar situation. Any advice would be grateful!! Thank you!! X

Hey, I've been a hairdresser for 5 years now In a salon. I am employed by the company. I am struggling going to work and enjoying it at the moment as it's making me depressed. I love my job, doing hair, colour cuts, hair ups, hair extensions , nails the lot. And for the past few months I've been doing friends and families hair and nails outside work as they don't feel comfortable as a few staff members make them feel unwelcome. I have all the equipment to go mobile, and potential clients but I am just unsure what to do. I have no savings as of yet but I was going to save some money before hand so I have a backup incase business is slow.. and so I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice or if they have been in a similar situation. Any advice would be grateful!! Thank you!! X

what do you not enjoy about your work place? have you spoken to your manager about any issues you've had? xx

what do you not enjoy about your work place? have you spoken to your manager about any issues you've had? xx
I have a manager who poorly runs the place, speaks to people like they are children, has NO people skills, other staff members have gone to our main boss who owns the salons to address this issue and he's just replied with 'you know what she's like' we have had mutiple meetings and things have been said regarding these situation but it never changes. I just don't enjoy being there anymore and I love my job I just don't want to go to another salon I'd rather work for myself and not deal with 'manager' :(

Seems like you’ve made your mind up. I’ve been in the trade for 33 yrs. I say go for it. It’s the best thing ever to be your own boss. I worked in salons for yrs then went mobile but missed the salon so then I rented chairs. I now own my own salon. Dream big girl and so long as you enjoy your work and don’t let people take advantage of you who know where you could be in a few yrs. just make sure you keep up with the latest trends

Good luck [emoji106]

Seems like you’ve made your mind up. I’ve been in the trade for 33 yrs. I say go for it. It’s the best thing ever to be your own boss. I worked in salons for yrs then went mobile but missed the salon so then I rented chairs. I now own my own salon. Dream big girl and so long as you enjoy your work and don’t let people take advantage of you who know where you could be in a few yrs. just make sure you keep up with the latest trendsGood luck
emoji106.png

Thank you! I love doing what I do with passion but it's hard when you have people like that around you 24/7 making you miserable with constant lack of managerial skills! Just worried about actually taking the leap and leaving my current work place, my boss will not take it lightly eeek! But thank you for your comment I have so much in mind I want to do, this is just the first step! X

Go for it! Your at work way too long to be unhappy. You've had words with the salon owner and be hasn't listened to you so he doesn't deserve you so don't worry about him.

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes, there are loads of people on here who will help you when you're setting up x

As a salon owner, I am obviously going to be bias and say STAY IN THE SALON!:p

Why do you think your client's are encouraging you to go mobile.....?o_O
Could it be that it will be more convenient for them?:rolleyes:
Will they also expect you to lower the price of their hair?:oops:

I am going to guess YES to both of the above!;)

You are free to choose, but remember, the grass is not always greener on the other side.:cool:

Sounds like my old employed job. You can't put a price on happiness. Do what makes you happy, as is said above; you are at work too much to not enjoy it :)

You say you don't want to work for another salon, but not all salons are like that. Our staff even refer to their work colleagues as "work family" and there is a great atmosphere (happy staff = happy clients). If you want to go it alone I hope it works out for you, but we have had staff do the same and come back as they miss the salon environment. Good luck whatever direction you choose.

Go for it! At one time I worked in a salon like that and it never ends well. As long as financially you can cover your bills with some savings/partner/parents help (ie a safety net) then go for it. Look at the worst, mobile doesn't work out you just find another salon job. If you're not happy its time for a change!

I started freelancing wheeling around a holall on buses and tubes in London and looking back it was a fun time. I joined the FHA so I could have contact with other freelancers and keep up training. There were always other members on hand to offer advice with business or colours etc http://thefha.org.uk/. Now there are so many groups on social media etc you are never working alone. I now have a full home studio and work when I want to and only accept nice clients :). I do at times miss the buzz of being in the salon but I get that fix when I go on training courses in London.

Good luck!

i loved my salon and had THE best most easy going boss ever but after 25 years it was time for a change. i went mobile and i love it. its hard work and hectic but you cannot beat being your own boss. i have a chair in my spare room and i go out to some. i did it 6 years ago and at first i was crazy busy and it was too much so i whittled it down a lot and now i just do tue-fri 9-3 mobile and an odd one in the evening or on a saturday. im nearly 50 so im not looking to set the world on fire anymore ha. i just love the fact that i control everything about my working day. its fab. good luck! p.s i matched my wages from the salon on week 2 of being self employed and havent made less since. word of mouth was the only advertising i used and i didnt tell anyone i was leaving the salon as i didnt want to make money off the back of them. im still best friends with my old boss.

I’m in a similar situation. I work 2 days a week in a salon, I like everyone there and I get on with my boss but I’m starting to get bored and need to earn a bit more money.
I’m undecided whether to stay and build up my mobile hair or go to another salon which is rent a chair £40 per day and supply own stock. The salon has only been opened since November and has no existing clients .

It’s so hard to make the decision and what to for the best.
Good luck whatever your decision but if u really don’t like where u work I would leave xx

Go for it! Your at work way too long to be unhappy. You've had words with the salon owner and be hasn't listened to you so he doesn't deserve you so don't worry about him.

Good luck and keep us posted how it goes, there are loads of people on here who will help you when you're setting up x

Thank you! It's just so hard when dealing with people who are very one way minded and brush situations/problems off and don't sort it. We have a meeting next week as a few issues have come up and a few others have said the same but it's just going in circles as this happens every so often! I'm pretty set on leaving just a case of when. I can't cope with this happening over and over it's ridiculous!

Thanks !!

As a salon owner, I am obviously going to be bias and say STAY IN THE SALON!:p

Why do you think your client's are encouraging you to go mobile.....?o_O
Could it be that it will be more convenient for them?:rolleyes:
Will they also expect you to lower the price of their hair?:oops:

I am going to guess YES to both of the above!;)

You are free to choose, but remember, the grass is not always greener on the other side.:cool:

It's always good to hear the point of view from a salon owner, thank you. I really appreciate your reply.
As a salon owner yourself, I can assume that you deal with all your staff members etc, I am at a point where as it's not the clients as to why I am / if I'm leaving, it's more so how I get treated, one rule for one one rule for the other, poor communication, I honestly don't know how my manager has a business the way they run it. I am constantly getting shitty remarks from my manager to the point where I have to agree smile and walk away as their professionalism is apauling! The clients that ask me to do out of salon are not only friends / family but a few regulars also that ask as they don't like going to the salon because of the vibe they get when they are there with the attitude of my manager. Non of my clients are funny with money and always offer me more and tip very well so I can't imagine anyone would expect me to lower my prices as everyone knows how annoying that is when they start expecting discounts. I've always said a price and never lowered it. I'd love to be happy in the salon but I've tried everything to change things for me and my work colleagues, and nothing changes. If I do leave and start on my own, if I fail.. I can just find another salon and try again. maybe the grass is greener I will never know. Thank you x

Sounds like my old employed job. You can't put a price on happiness. Do what makes you happy, as is said above; you are at work too much to not enjoy it :)

Thank you!

You say you don't want to work for another salon, but not all salons are like that. Our staff even refer to their work colleagues as "work family" and there is a great atmosphere (happy staff = happy clients). If you want to go it alone I hope it works out for you, but we have had staff do the same and come back as they miss the salon environment. Good luck whatever direction you choose.

I would LOVE to be in a salon where I can be close to work friends and call them work family! I always watch not another salons videos and they are all always so happy and playing around, where I work is the opposite, god forbid if I bring my phone into the salon out the kitchen unless I'm taking a picture! The manager is so strict it's a joke. I can't even ask if I'm allowed my hair done without a 'ermmmmmmmm welll' I have Colour touch on my roots! Takes 20 mins for god sake! I've had two jobs in salons and both have been so bad so guess I've never had great relationships with the people I've worked with as they are all bitchy or fake. I'm a pretty down to earth straight up person and I clash with people who are bullies as I stand up for myself and others. So I've never been close to work. Shame as like I said I'd love to be at a salon that's like 'family'. Sounds like your place is lovely! Glad you have a work family!

Go for it! At one time I worked in a salon like that and it never ends well. As long as financially you can cover your bills with some savings/partner/parents help (ie a safety net) then go for it. Look at the worst, mobile doesn't work out you just find another salon job. If you're not happy its time for a change!

I started freelancing wheeling around a holall on buses and tubes in London and looking back it was a fun time. I joined the FHA so I could have contact with other freelancers and keep up training. There were always other members on hand to offer advice with business or colours etc http://thefha.org.uk/. Now there are so many groups on social media etc you are never working alone. I now have a full home studio and work when I want to and only accept nice clients :). I do at times miss the buzz of being in the salon but I get that fix when I go on training courses in London.

Good luck!

Thank you! I am currently saving money I earn from work each month. My partner is fully supportive and wants me to start up on my own as he has his own business (in fitness) he's helped me a lot with all the financial stuff that I need to know if I was to take the plunge! My outgoings are very little as I still live at home with my mom but stay at my partners 90% of the time so I don't pay rent! I have my car and my phone bill to pay a month that's all So I'm really lucky! I have a case full of colours, bleach, peroxides, the works really (also full nail case I also do acrylics and gel polish) I saved up last year to buy all I needed to do mobile along side work to pay off all debts! Which now is at £0!! I am doing everything in good time as i financially couldn't just do it all at once! Hopefully it works out! Thanks for your advice! I aim to have my own place with a home studio like yourself ! Glad it worked out for you

i loved my salon and had THE best most easy going boss ever but after 25 years it was time for a change. i went mobile and i love it. its hard work and hectic but you cannot beat being your own boss. i have a chair in my spare room and i go out to some. i did it 6 years ago and at first i was crazy busy and it was too much so i whittled it down a lot and now i just do tue-fri 9-3 mobile and an odd one in the evening or on a saturday. im nearly 50 so im not looking to set the world on fire anymore ha. i just love the fact that i control everything about my working day. its fab. good luck! p.s i matched my wages from the salon on week 2 of being self employed and havent made less since. word of mouth was the only advertising i used and i didnt tell anyone i was leaving the salon as i didnt want to make money off the back of them. im still best friends with my old boss.

Wow! 25 years! Well done that's brilliant! It's so rare these days to have a good boss or manager! Also my manager is only a few years older than me she speaks to me like I'm a child! But that's what I'm wanting just my own boss I don't have to answer to anybody! I was in hospital last year and had a few weeks off after an operation and I got ZERO sympathy from them. The first day I was back I got told off in a meeting for having too much time off! My doctors said I was meant to have more time off but I didn't want to let clients down as I was off for about three weeks. Yet I still got a telling off!! I'd love the salon life if I had a good manager / boss like you've experienced! Just had really bad experiences with managers! My old boss used to make me cry he got to me that much I ended up walking out with 5 other staff members !! I hope I can end up doing what you did and having my own little salon at home. But first steps mobile! Thanks for your advice!

I’m in a similar situation. I work 2 days a week in a salon, I like everyone there and I get on with my boss but I’m starting to get bored and need to earn a bit more money.
I’m undecided whether to stay and build up my mobile hair or go to another salon which is rent a chair £40 per day and supply own stock. The salon has only been opened since November and has no existing clients .

It’s so hard to make the decision and what to for the best.
Good luck whatever your decision but if u really don’t like where u work I would leave xx

It's really hard to build up a client base especially when the salons only been open a few months! I get a lot of work via social media as I post a lot and boosts post so that more people will see them! Especially insta, I've made my own hair/nail page! When I first started my current job I had packages like colour and cut and blowdry for so much and that got me some clients in! You could try that.. thanks for you advice! You also should do what makes you happy! There is nothing worse than sitting around a work board when your dead! I hate that! Good luck ☺️

I would LOVE to be in a salon where I can be close to work friends and call them work family! I always watch not another salons videos and they are all always so happy and playing around, where I work is the opposite, god forbid if I bring my phone into the salon out the kitchen unless I'm taking a picture! The manager is so strict it's a joke. I can't even ask if I'm allowed my hair done without a 'ermmmmmmmm welll' I have Colour touch on my roots! Takes 20 mins for god sake! I've had two jobs in salons and both have been so bad so guess I've never had great relationships with the people I've worked with as they are all bitchy or fake. I'm a pretty down to earth straight up person and I clash with people who are bullies as I stand up for myself and others. So I've never been close to work. Shame as like I said I'd love to be at a salon that's like 'family'. Sounds like your place is lovely! Glad you have a work family!
We so do, but have the same rule, phones stay in in the back![emoji4]

Latest posts

Back