do nails breathe!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think when people say that things breathe they just mean that they need air to get to them. For example when you open a bottle of red wine you should "let it breathe" for a while. It's just one of those quirks of the English language.

However nails do not need to breathe in this sense. The only problem you may get with regular wear of a polish is staining to the nail and nothing more. I don't understand why she thinks wearing polish overnight would be detrimental to the health of your nail? Mine always do better as I tend not to pick at them when I wear polish!
thanks, sass, this is the type of "breathing" i meant. letting air get to it,
we must be on the same level, feel a bit stupid though, i didnt mean breath with lungs, lol:green:

I've just realised that it's you that has the sore finger. Perhaps your friend means not to wear varnish on that finger and just oil it due to the fact that it looks like it's still healing.
Although nails don't have lungs and don't breathe I can understand her advising you to be careful with that particular finger and massage oil into it.
thanks judy, but no she didnt mean my bad finger, she said you have to take the polish off every night for the nails to get "aired" so to speak, i think sassy has got my drift!:) . god knows what shed do with extentions!, she would have me take them off and put them back on every day! :grr:
xx

You need to go back to her and let her know that nail enamel or other coverings are actually protecting the nails from outside influences - water, detergents etc.

Removing enamel every day is harmful to the nails as it is very drying.

ive been looking online and found this, what do think:irked:
found on ask val

Dear Val:
Is it true that your nails need a break from polish to breathe?

head_line.gif

Response:
You know your nails don't breathe, right? (Just checking.) It is a good idea to skip polish periodically, says Scher, to allow the normal transfer of air and water through the nail plate.

Was this Val Doonigan? LOL

I know that the nails dont breath, but one day was in shock with one client when she told me, yes they dont breath, but the zone 3 near to cuticle breath!!!!:eek: I really was confused!!!!

I know that the nails dont breath, but one day was in shock with one client when she told me, yes they dont breath, but the zone 3 near to cuticle breath!!!!:eek: I really was confused!!!!
eh how do you work that out then?:lol:

Hi,
Nails don't breath but absorb. Everything we as nail techs put on the nail or your skin is absorbed. Thats why MMA is so bad.

About a resting peroid, I have found that it means one of two things. 1) the client dont want nails no more so its a easy way to tell you or 2) client is haveing money strain and cant afford it for a while.

I tell them if they want their nail to rest, it will have to rest for 4-6months. That is the time for the plate to replace its self. Otherwise a 3 week or 6week rest means nothing?

Strawberry

Latest posts

Back