Do you charge for basic nail art?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RT15

Reaction score
hi everyone!

So as title suggests I'm just wondering if you charge for basic nail art like glitter, stamping etc.
I'm trying to work out my pricing so not sure whether to charge higher price and if clients want glitter or stamping etc this will be included or to charge lower price for colour only and then add on art as 50p per nail or something I only offer natural nail services at the moment so gel polish, gel overlay and manicures, pedicures. I think the higher price would cover the cost of the glitter etc anyway but for full glitter nails I would add on £5 or something

So help me out what do you do?
Thanks!

Yes, for glitter & any art defiantly!

Yes yes defo... what i have is a little book with decorated false nails in.... stuck in with a bit of white tak... so the client can actually take it out and place over her nail to get the full effect.... you can price individually as some take longer than others.... or you could do the 50p a nail... or... a pound a gem lol.... but some of te hand painted flowers with a bit of bling could be pound a nail.... plus you have to factor in the extra time it will take to do a whole set with nail art.....

Not everyone will want nail art so no you cant really charge the higher price . Your price should be broken down into
Extensions Natural
Extension French or colour
NNO natural
NNO French or colour
And then charge nail art ect on top

Like Carol said some nail art can be quite time consuming and in my experience people are rather loathed to pay too much
Stamping is a much quicker way to give them more 'complicated ' designs and would be cost effective
Gems are another service that is very quick to add . Most people charge something like 50p per nail with a max of £ 4 or something like that

Nail Art will very much depend on your client base . Certainly with mine almost all of them do NOT have art nor do they want it . Your customer base may be totally different

When working out what to offer you MUST factor in the time element involved . If for example you need to work on earning £20 per hour and the nail art takes you 45 mins you would need to charge at least £15 ON TOP of the overlay price to pay for your time

x

I charge extra. The majority of my clients want gel polish, glitter and/or Swarovski crystals. My basic one colour L&P is £25 but most of my appointments are between £32 and £36

You've had to buy in the stamping kit & polishes and glitter so you need to recoup that by making a small charge. Plus it will take you extra time.why would you even consider that that might be worthless?!

I charge exactly as perfec 10kb has laid out above then add on £3 for glitter on all (or 50p per nail if just accent) £4 stamping. Gems I charge 20p each

Hth's x

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I am just newly qualified so think I am just struggling with asking for payment at all!! Lol. I have set my introductory price at £15 at moment for gel polish until I can get myself up and running I only qualified on Monday and have had quite a bit of interest already which is fantastic I just didn't know whether £20 for gel polish is too much and then to add on nail art at whatever price per nail on top when there are people around me that charge £15 for a full set of gel extensions!!! There is no way I am dropping my prices to that I don't understand how people can make any money that way, ideally I wanted to stick to around £20 I'm just not sure how to go about it, I know how much my cost per service is and at £15 I am still making an OK profit I don't want to undersell myself but also don't want to be too expensive that people won't come to me does that make sense?

Really appreciate all your help x

I think if you are finding it hard to charge in the first place then your going to find it hard to up your prices after your introductory offer. I think you should go straight in with your full price. And charge for nail art or clients WILL start getting it on ALL fingers and make you run extremely late for no extra money. Just going on my own experience! I now charge for everything. If they don't like it they won't get the nail art. What happens is you eventually get left with the good quality clients who will pay for your good work x

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I am just newly qualified so think I am just struggling with asking for payment at all!! Lol. I have set my introductory price at £15 at moment for gel polish until I can get myself up and running I only qualified on Monday and have had quite a bit of interest already which is fantastic I just didn't know whether £20 for gel polish is too much and then to add on nail art at whatever price per nail on top when there are people around me that charge £15 for a full set of gel extensions!!! There is no way I am dropping my prices to that I don't understand how people can make any money that way, ideally I wanted to stick to around £20 I'm just not sure how to go about it, I know how much my cost per service is and at £15 I am still making an OK profit I don't want to undersell myself but also don't want to be too expensive that people won't come to me does that make sense?

Really appreciate all your help x
I used to feel awkward too asking for payment.
Now I just get their record card and say "right then, what did we have..." I tell them as I'm writing it down and then "so that will be £X today please"

How much extra would you charge for Swarovski?

hi everyone!

So as title suggests I'm just wondering if you charge for basic nail art like glitter, stamping etc.
I'm trying to work out my pricing so not sure whether to charge higher price and if clients want glitter or stamping etc this will be included or to charge lower price for colour only and then add on art as 50p per nail or something I only offer natural nail services at the moment so gel polish, gel overlay and manicures, pedicures. I think the higher price would cover the cost of the glitter etc anyway but for full glitter nails I would add on £5 or something

So help me out what do you do?
Thanks!

In my experience, I dont charge for basic nail art such as little flicks, dots. Unfortunately I live in a town where people presume nail art is free and are very reluctant to pay extra. I don't think its necessary to charge for glitter, I charge for my Swarovski crystals, per nail or half nail, and intricate work. Nobody really likes paying for more. If you really want to start charging to cover the cost of your nail art supplies, instead of making in known put together price list that will cover all, instead of a price which excludes this and that and this because they will have to pay more, just incoporate the prices in the price for the full set.
I hope this helps you :)

In my experience, I dont charge for basic nail art such as little flicks, dots. Unfortunately I live in a town where people presume nail art is free and are very reluctant to pay extra. I don't think its necessary to charge for glitter, I charge for my Swarovski crystals, per nail or half nail, and intricate work. Nobody really likes paying for more. If you really want to start charging to cover the cost of your nail art supplies, instead of making in known put together price list that will cover all, instead of a price which excludes this and that and this because they will have to pay more, just incoporate the prices in the price for the full set.
I hope this helps you :)
Do you find people ask for a discount if they don't have nail art?

I wouldn't expect to pay extra for a basic set of nails

Not really, the offer thing people tend to say is if two have them done at the same time. 'are you gonna knock us some money off?'
I dont purely because I send weekly offers and discounts out anyway, and 99.9% of the time theyre are already having at a discounted price

Not really, the offer thing people tend to say is if two have them done at the same time. 'are you gonna knock us some money off?'
I dont purely because I send weekly offers and discounts out anyway, and 99.9% of the time theyre are already having at a discounted price

Continually discounting your prices devalues your service and that is something I am not prepared to do .

My prices are the HIGHEST in the area and I am still always fully booked .Why ? Its because I concentrate on providing the best nails they will get and to them it does not matter how much I charge they are not going anywhere else !

I have NEVER given discounts nor do I intend to . The most I do is give my lovely ladies a pressie at Christmas and if a regular gets married then any art or gems at that appt I will do for nothing

I have a basic rate for nails without art as explained in my previous reply and if they WANT nail art that will be on top. I am running a business and treat it as such

That is the way it should be . Not valuing your service is the reason why prices have been driven down and down

If we are not careful we could end up getting less than the minimum wage

Please think about this when you are just 'giving away' your time

xx

Thank you so much everyone for your replies you have given me lots to think about and i definitely agree about charging for time etc. I have to say i dont think i will struggle to raise my prices at all as all clients know my prices are limited to 8 weeks. I just wanted a rough figure of what nail art would be, i dont do fancy things just a bit of glitter fades, whole glitter nail, dots, marbling and foils. that is where my dilemma is because its not mega fancy nail art i dont want to charge the world thats great people can charge very highly and get that but my town is saturated with nail techs and the competition is fierce. I will never compete with the £10 gang and would not drop myself that low after all the money i have invested but would like my price to be reasonable. my price will go up to £20 my clients know this but to then ask for £25 just for a tiny bit of glitter seems a bit much to me when there are loads of salons that charge £15 for full gel extensions and whatever art you want. i cant compete with that. sorry if this is sounding all wrong and i dont want to start a debate or anger anyone as i know most of you are very experienced so im sorry if i have was just needing a bit of advice. we all have to start somewhere.
Thanks
:)

Thank you so much everyone for your replies you have given me lots to think about and i definitely agree about charging for time etc. I have to say i dont think i will struggle to raise my prices at all as all clients know my prices are limited to 8 weeks. I just wanted a rough figure of what nail art would be, i dont do fancy things just a bit of glitter fades, whole glitter nail, dots, marbling and foils. that is where my dilemma is because its not mega fancy nail art i dont want to charge the world thats great people can charge very highly and get that but my town is saturated with nail techs and the competition is fierce. I will never compete with the £10 gang and would not drop myself that low after all the money i have invested but would like my price to be reasonable. my price will go up to £20 my clients know this but to then ask for £25 just for a tiny bit of glitter seems a bit much to me when there are loads of salons that charge £15 for full gel extensions and whatever art you want. i cant compete with that. sorry if this is sounding all wrong and i dont want to start a debate or anger anyone as i know most of you are very experienced so im sorry if i have was just needing a bit of advice. we all have to start somewhere.
Thanks
:)

You have not offended or angered any one :) You asked a very legitimate question

You definitely do have to look around at the competition BUT you say 'to charge £5 for just a tiny bit of glitter seems a bit much ' but its just not that

. If £20 is your price for say natural gel extensions and then someone wants an all over glitter or colour that will take you minimum with applying and curing 16 mins and thats assuming you can paint a hand in less than a min lol.

So you have an extra 16 mins of your time plus the product cost and that has to be factored in

How about doing some Stamping ? is there anyone around you doing that as that is fairly quick to do with great results ( once you get the hang of it )

You need to look at the competition as you say you have done . Look at what they are offering not just in terms of the basic but their setting , customer enjoyment , service ect ect . Then think about what you can do to set yourself ABOVE them . Think of a car analogy . There are plenty of little four door run a rounds and at the end of the day all they are all 4 door little run arounds that can get you from a to b . So if thats all people wanted why do Mercedes , BMW and Audi sell so many of their higher priced ones when you could get a Skoda for much much less

Make yourself be the Mercedes ;)

Last edited:
that is my favourite reply ever! lol i dont offer extensions at the moment and am debating whether i want to offer this service as i know my products are fab and their own nails will grow with the product on so thats sort of my selling point at the moment and it does seem to be working so far! i totally agree with your post though and need to seriously think what i am going to do i will definitely be charging extra for full glitter on every nail its just getting my basic gel polish price set that im struggling with. i dont know why i cant just be more assertive i am my own worst enemy!!! lol. yes i have loads of stamping plates but nobody ever chooses it!! so annoying as its my favourite and not to toot my own horn but i think im pretty good at it haha:p im quite happy to charge 50p per nail but didnt really want my price to be much over £20 thank you for being understanding and listening to my rant lol!

Ok so you love stamping . Do you wear it all the time on your own nails ? If not WHY not . I can guarantee that what ever I am wearing or one of my girls are wearing the customer will say "ooh thats lovely .What is that ,can I have something like that ?

It is for that reason that we always make sure our nails are always 100% perfect and bang on trend . Whatever we want to 'sell ' we wear it .

You are your own best avert and your nails are a walking advertisement . make sure you take business cards with you everywhere and if anyone ever comments on your nails hand them a card

Not offering extensions will restrict your market and maybe not that many people around you do that so maybe thats something else to consider ?

x

Latest posts

Back