Do you employ Level 2 therapists or only Level 3?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lala12

Reaction score
Hello,

I've checked other threads first and can't find the answer to my question, so I'm hoping you lovely people can help.

I completed a Level 2 beauty therapy qualification in July and am finding it difficult to get a job. I only started looking last week. Is it the state of the economy, me or do I need to go back to college and train to Level 3 before someone would employ me? I don't have any salon experience yet.

Thanks in advance.

well im not answering you question directly BUT i hope what i have to say has some value.

If you are struggling to get foot in the door have you thought about asking around for some work experience?

It would look attractive on your CV ( good for you) and it could build bridges (again plus points) and give you some experience?

just a thought. hope you dont think im being funny or anything but you never know, you might WOW that employer and something positive come out of it.

tigi

Thanks very much.

Yes, that's a great idea.

I remember when I worked in a customer services role temporarily over Christmas one year for a local company they did ask me to stay on permanently afterwards, so you're right. I'll try and get a foot in the door somewhere.

Personally I would only employ level 3, but that's because I only have 1 member of staff in at a time and need them to be able to offer every treatment, but when I am a bigger salon I would employ a level 2 member of staff if they were right for the job.

As there are so many people looking for work (I had 19 applicants for a part time beauty therapist job and it specifically requested level 3) an employer really does have the pick of the bunch, and in a lot of cases there isnt a higher wage for a level 3 therapist or a lower wage for a level 2 therapists so the employer is likely to pick a new staff member who can bring in the most amount of money - probably the level 3 therapist.

A level 2 therapist would still suit a busy salon, and don't be put off. If your good at what you do keep applying for jobs, maybe have someone take a look a your CV and covering letter to make sure it all reads right (it really is how a potential employer will initially judge you), offer your self on a voluntary basis (if a position was to become available then you'd have a good chance of getting it)

Good luck job hunting x

I definitely agree on getting work experience. I did work experience for a massage course in the salon I am working in now and started working there before I had finished my massage course (offering other treatments I was qualified in.) get out there and show them what you can do! Suggest they put an offer on for facials (example) just with you so you can show them how well you work! I did offers on manicures and pedicures and was very busy with it and they were really impressed!!

I'm having the exact same problem :( people keep tellin me I should hve done level 3 but the problem is, I don't wanna go down the massage route! I want to do the beauty side of things!
A lot of places are taking on level 2's if you're good at what you do, but it's hard getting that oppertunity, ! Gotta keep trying! X

When I had my salon my therapists were either L3 trained (to offer the massage/electroysis treatments) or L2 WITH nail enhancements. In addition to L2, I always needed at least one of the above additional treatments to make a therapist viable in my business.

I would definately suggest work experience. I took on several girls straight out of college that had previously done work experience with me organised via the college (although some I would not touch with a very long barge pole!).

In this economic climate you need to be very pro-active about job hunting. In my opinion, anyone that does voluntary work experience is a serious, forward-thinking person that deserves an opportunity.

Also, others may disagree tho, I would not post or email your cv to salons in your area. I would personally visit each salon and hand your cv in to the owner or manager (and do not take your friends with you when you do this!) so that you can engage in a conversation and they can assess you and your personality during this initial visit.

hth and good luck !

Thanks for all your replies and thoughts on this. I really appreciate it. :biggrin:

I'm only level 2 qualified but I knew I was starting up on my own. To get a job in this town you need to have level 3. X

dont feel limited by being a level 2, see it as an opporutnity to do more in the future. when i trade test, i take everyone who seems really commited, so level 2 3 or private trained.

so keep up your skills, read lots and lots, stay ahead of what is going on in our industry and dont be afraid to get out there and make yourself known.

best of luck sweetie

tigi

Latest posts

Back