Do you REALLY need training for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's training that tells you when you can and can't treat a client. It's training that tells you how to avoid any problems arising and how to deal with those problems if they do arise. It's training that informs you of the structure of a healthy nail.

It could be argued that you don't need this information in the case of many clients, but I would say you need this information when dealing with any client to ensure they are safe, healthy and happy with their treatment.

I'm not saying training is pointless, but all what you have listed can be found out on the net if you look hard enough.

Can I just clarify something. If you have a manicure and pedicure certificate do you need to do the shellac (and minx) courses in order to add it to your insurance? So if you have not done the shellac and minx courses you cannot perform it on clients?

Reason I am asking is that my daughter and I have done both courses but we will be having a self employed nail tech who has done their manicure and pedicure course but not the shellac and minx. Would they therefore have to go on the shellac and minx courses in order to offer it?

Thanks xx

I'll probably get pounced on for saying this but I agree with the OP, I dont think you need training for a lot of these beauty treatments, it can all be self taught nowdays with the help of google and youtube (I'm not saying thats what people should do, just that its possible).

As for the health side of it, its basic hygiene and common sense (again that can be self taught with the help of the internet), its not like anyone is cutting their clients open with a scalpel!

I have read quite a few posts from people who have had their training but don't seem to know anymore than I do, I am waiting to do mine but in mean time I am reading up all I can on the internet.

"practise" makes perfect and builds confidence, not a one day training course.

Having said all that, I DO agree that you should not be doing anything on clients uninsured and to get that you need the cert so need the training.

*runs for cover* :rolleyes:

Haha dont run for cover.... ;)

Thanks hun, I totally agree with you practice makes perfect. and all people i do the shellac on know that i am not insured or have a cert i wouldnt do it without informing them of this. But they also know i will be training up fully very soon.

I clean ALL my tools fully after each person. I certainly have common sense and understand manicure procedure anyway.

I bought my lamp from the UK from a proper distributor. They accepted my acceptance on the course as proof of starting training. There was no problem with this.

I think Shellac is fantastic product i cant go back to normal nail varnish after shellacing its just too good :)

I appreciate everyone comments its interesting to read how different people view things.

Hehe thanks Freya your comment made me giggle. I wont say no to a drink or some dosh ;) And hopefully i wont be put in jail for that LOL xx

Hehe thanks Freya your comment made me giggle. I wont say no to a drink or some dosh ;) And hopefully i wont be put in jail for that LOL xx

Good honey ; )) enjoy what you do xx

I bought my lamp from the UK from a proper distributor. They accepted my acceptance on the course as proof of starting training. There was no problem with this..........

So you bought the proper CND white Shellac lamp from Sweet Squared - this does surprise me.

I'm with you Naturalnails - it is surprising that you've managed to buy the lamp.

Also, it's concerning that you've said you bought your Shellac colours from the US, how do you know they're genuine if you're not buying them from the official CND distributor?

I'm with you Naturalnails - it is surprising that you've managed to buy the lamp.

Also, it's concerning that you've said you bought your Shellac colours from the US, how do you know they're genuine if you're not buying them from the official CND distributor?

Well i certainly do have it it is sitting at home right now in its box, it is all genuine, with all the packaging.

It all lasts 2 weeks or more with proper application. I dont know why people are so shocked by this.....Its certainly not impossible to purchase. :rolleyes:

I would also like to say that, I can and do polish nails to a high standard, I have studied myself a lot and also regularly pick up my copy of The Complete Nail Tech book.

I have NEVER had problems with it being tacky as i know and understand the whole process.

I have had no complaints from anyone as yet. So for me if i have happy satisfied friends and family who keep coming back for more then i am doing a good job. :biggrin:

I would say if your qualified in manicure and pedicures and are confident in polishing to a high standard then it is entirely up to you if you go on the training course or not.

I went on the training and thoroughly enjoyed it and also learned some helpful tips, I would recommend it, but at the end of the day I think it is each to their own IYKWIM :biggrin:

The other thing is once you have done the training there will always be an educator at the end of a phone line should should you encounter any problems.

HTH​

Nope not from Sweet Squared.

Sorry to keep harping on about this but if you did not buy it from Sweet Squared, then you did not buy it from a proper CND distributor.

If you want to do Shellac properly and get referrals and be properly insured then contact Sweet Squared and get yourself registered with them. Once registered you will be able to buy at proper trade prices from the Official CND UK Distributors.

As an uninsured person, if you gave one of your friends an over exposure reaction or some other kind of issue and they could not work do you think they would not look to you for compensation. I know this is an extreme case but that is why we spend money on training and insurance.

Sorry to keep harping on about this but if you did not buy it from Sweet Squared, then you did not buy it from a proper CND distributor.

If you want to do Shellac properly and get referrals and be properly insured then contact Sweet Squared and get yourself registered with them. Once registered you will be able to buy at proper trade prices from the Official CND UK Distributors.

As an uninsured person, if you gave one of your friends an over exposure reaction or some other kind of issue and they could not work do you think they would not look to you for compensation. I know this is an extreme case but that is why we spend money on training and insurance.

I bought my lamp for £99 plus vat. I dont know why you dont believe its not a genuine distributor! It is. I am sending my warranty card off to CND tomorrow.

With the amount of practice i have had on myself before trying my friends and family i was confident to do them, and as i said there have been no problems.

Sweet squared are not the only distributor you can buy from. Do some searching around you will see that i am right.

I'll probably get pounced on for saying this but I agree with the OP, I dont think you need training for a lot of these beauty treatments, it can all be self taught nowdays with the help of google and youtube

You receive this information while doing NVQ2 and 3! When you have training in a product like gel it teaches you "how to apply", "how to prep" and "how to remove" in this product!
I think people should do a manicure course before going into gels, extensions etc as you do NEED to know the structure of the nail, growth etc....doing a day course in gels won't give you this information!

I'm not saying training is pointless, but all what you have listed can be found out on the net if you look hard enough.

My post was in response to (and I quoted the comment in my post) the suggestion that you don't need any training to do such treatments. I think you do, and NVQ Levels 2 and 3 are excellent.

I don't know exactly what training the original poster has received because it hasn't been specified, but I still believe if you are going to operate as a nail tech, whether on your own or other peoples' nails, paid or not, you need training.

My post was in response to (and I quoted the comment in my post) the suggestion that you don't need any training to do such treatments. I think you do, and NVQ Levels 2 and 3 are excellent.

I don't know exactly what training the original poster has received because it hasn't been specified, but I still believe if you are going to operate as a nail tech, whether on your own or other peoples' nails, paid or not, you need training.

I have done a manicure/pedicure course.

I am so confused! Haha. It seems to me that the US and UK are very different concerning nail service.

In the US, you go through a 400hr course and you're certified to not only do manicures and pedicures, but acrylics, and gels and Shellac and whatever else you want to do to nails!

It's great to get additional education, but it is not "required" before you can use CND or any other brand. As a matter of fact, if you're in school, you receive a "Student License" and this allows you to purchase professional items from a distrubutor.

Honestly, I'm thinking y'all in the UK are probably more knowledgable on nail service, simply because you go through additional education. There is nothing like that required in the US, aside from the original 400hrs.

I would love to go through additional education on gels and basic acrylics. But, it's SO expensive and I would have to drive about 3-4 hours to get to a class. :Scared:

Then you should be fine to use Shellac, and if you sent S2 (or Ellisons) a copy of your cert, then you will be able to buy from the UK distributor to ensure you receive valid products. You may want to consider joining the Shellac group on here - there's tonnes of info you might find helpful.

Then you should be fine to use Shellac, and if you sent S2 (or Ellisons) a copy of your cert, then you will be able to buy from the UK distributor to ensure you receive valid products. You may want to consider joining the Shellac group on here - there's tonnes of info you might find helpful.

I did use Ellisons they are great and have everything i need, so i know im getting all the genuine products :p unlike someone suggested i wasnt getting on here earlier in the post.

We do not have the compulsory 400hr schooling in the UK.

We are not doing additional courses to our schooling, hence the reason that some companies, like CND will not sell to us unless we have done their training, or training which is of an acceptable level.

I am so confused! Haha. It seems to me that the US and UK are very different concerning nail service.

In the US, you go through a 400hr course and you're certified to not only do manicures and pedicures, but acrylics, and gels and Shellac and whatever else you want to do to nails!

It's great to get additional education, but it is not "required" before you can use CND or any other brand. As a matter of fact, if you're in school, you receive a "Student License" and this allows you to purchase professional items from a distrubutor.

Honestly, I'm thinking y'all in the UK are probably more knowledgable on nail service, simply because you go through additional education. There is nothing like that required in the US, aside from the original 400hrs.

I would love to go through additional education on gels and basic acrylics. But, it's SO expensive and I would have to drive about 3-4 hours to get to a class. :Scared:

I bought my lamp for £99 plus vat. I dont know why you dont believe its not a genuine distributor! It is. I am sending my warranty card off to CND tomorrow.

With the amount of practice i have had on myself before trying my friends and family i was confident to do them, and as i said there have been no problems.

Sweet squared are not the only distributor you can buy from. Do some searching around you will see that i am right.

Sweet Squared are actually the only official distributor in the UK for CND (or their partners - Ellisons, Fingertips Centre in Edinburgh and the CN Academies around the UK)

I am sorry that you think I dont believe you.

I was trying to help you - there are lots of companies who say they are official distributors and they are not, but unfortunately we only find these things out when things go wrong.

I see that you bought from Ellisons, who are in partnership with Sweet Squared for CND.

Latest posts

Back