Do you REALLY need training for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I just ask, are the shellac and minx classes compulsary for insurance purposes. My daughter and I have done both classes, but we will have a self employed nail person who will be working with us who has not been on the courses (she has her man/ped qualification). She has been learning from us (hey not a good basis for learning shellac!!!)

But for insurance purposes can she do shellac and minx? I know it is better for her to go for the classes but I dont think she will.

Thanks xx

Shellac training is not just about a process or technique which is all that the videos show ... it is a science based training and I think even the shallowest person would agree, that as a professional it is important to know how your product works? Especially when it is a completely new product based on new science & technology?

Judging by the feedback on this site, the people who have had a Shellac class, understand the product and how it works much better and have far fewer challenges with this 'no brainer' easy peasy product than others!!

I took the class ... I only have 27 years of experience as a nail technician and figured I might learn something useful and guess what, I did1 quite a few things in fact, from experts both on and with Shellac.

@ Louise, Victoria and Wooshka ........ I don't think you need me to comment as you three have done a fine job and do not need any validation from me.

I think there have been some very arrogant answers by some perhaps good technicians but to assume that anyone can learn to a professional standard through watching videos is ridiculous.

You are all talking about technique and not knowledge.

Knowledge without technique is useless, when talking about a skilled job, and technique without knowledge would make one positively dangerous!

Firstly (and I'll repeat my self yet again) not in one of my post have I ever said you should not bother with getting trained, just learn it all from video!
We are taling about people who HAVE had nail training of some sort and going on to do other nail techniques without further training, some people on here from the USA have stated that it is not required over there to take the further training ..... are you say those people are less quilified than someone from the UK?

I have lost count how many times I have read a post with someone saying " I was not taught that in my training" on many occasions these people are told by "professionals" to search the forum for the answer they need .... whats the difference between that or searching the net/youtube?

And personally I think the arrogance comes from some people who think in order to be good at something or do it correctly you need a certificate to prove it !!

You are all talking about technique and not knowledge.

Knowledge without technique is useless, when talking about a skilled job, and technique without knowledge would make one positively dangerous!

This is so correct, it is both knowledge AND technique which makes us a great nail tech. One without the other is just useless.

The reason why we are so against the discount stores is because although some of them have excellent technique skills, they lack in knowledge big time. So if some of us are applying Shellac correctly but know nothing about it's science or how it works, then how are you any different from the them...?

Shellac training is not just about teaching you how to apply Shellac correctly. The course allows you to understand Shellac as a product, the science behind Shellac, how it is different from other gels, how you market Shellac etc... which will all benefit you and your salon.

CND created a program not to 'just take more of your money'. They created a program to help you completely understand what you are using so you can tackle any issues or problems you may come across.

You only need to see the amount of Shellac problem threads on here to know how beneficial it is to attend a Shellac course. 90% of the questions and problems asked on here regarding Shellac could've been solved if you attend a Shellac class.

Firstly (and I'll repeat my self yet again) not in one of my post have I ever said you should not bother with getting trained, just learn it all from video!
We are taling about people who HAVE had nail training of some sort and going on to do other nail techniques without further training, some people on here from the USA have stated that it is not required over there to take the further training ..... are you say those people are less quilified than someone from the UK?

The same as you never said that you should not bother with getting trained, Geeg has actually never said anything about US techs are less qualified than the UK ones.

I have lost count how many times I have read a post with someone saying " I was not taught that in my training" on many occasions these people are told by "professionals" to search the forum for the answer they need .... whats the difference between that or searching the net/youtube?

The difference between searching on here and on You Tube is, that this is a professional forum, which means the advice from here is more likely to be of correct advice. We only use facts on there and anyone who doesn't or misleading is quickly corrected.
On You Tube however, you can not be sure about the person who you are watching is qualified and is teaching you the correct procedure, application skills and knowledge.

And personally I think the arrogance comes from some people who think in order to be good at something or do it correctly you need a certificate to prove it !!

No one is 'being arrogant' about certificates.
In fact, CND Shellac Attack Demo days/classes are not hand-ons so do not issue a Shellac certificate. It is only the hands-on 1-2-1 Shellac Training/classes which issue a certificate of competance. CND ecourages people to attend these classes because CND wants people to understand more of Shellac and to show how to use it correctly in order to eliminate problems.

Please calm down because no one is 'attacking' you or 'picking on you' including Geeg.
People has just tried to explain the benefits and advantages of doing a course.
Even Geeg managed to learn something after 27 years of experience in the industry after doing a Shellac course, does that then not explain to us how beneficial it is...? :hug:

Last edited:
I have not said anyone is attacking or picking on me, if I was worried about that I would not have posted my opinion in the first place, and of course training of any sort and in any business is beneficial.

I agree, you do not know that information from youtube/internet is coming from someone who has been trained, but in all due respect how do you know anyone on here has any qualification, ticking a few boxes in the settings is no proof.

And the word professional simply means doing something in a professional manner it doesn't necessarily mean that person has taken any training or holds any qualification.

And the word professional simply means doing something in a professional manner it doesn't necessarily mean that person has taken any training or holds any qualification.

without trying to split hairs here but a professional is a member of a vocation founded upon specialized educational training. The word professional traditionally means a person who has obtained a degree in a professional field

without trying to split hairs here but a professional is a member of a vocation founded upon specialized educational training. The word professional traditionally means a person who has obtained a degree in a professional field

Not splitting hairs either but the above might be correct on wikipedia however in the dictionary it is
professional adj
1. of a profession,
2. taking part in an activity, such as sport or music, as a means of livelihood,
3. displaying a high level of competence or skill, a professional and polished performance,
4. undertaken or performed by people who are paid,

I am going to step away from this thread now, I merely gave my opinion and never advised anyone to not get training, If I thought for one second training was a waste of money then I wouldn't be doing it myself.

Can we PLEASE keep this thread on topic. If the topic is now exhausted then I will close this thread so it doesnt keep going round in circles.

No. 9 of the site rules

Reply to others how you would like them to reply to you

This is possibly THE most important of all commandments here. We have a low tolerance for members who show disrespect to others (even if the disrespect is somehow warranted). Rude and thoughtless posts are the fastest way to make you look like a right ass in front of the world. Its also a quick way to find yourself on the wrong side of a ban. If you can't say it nicely, go Facebook it.

Can you all say that you are abiding by this one!

I want to do my shellac training I want to find out the science behind it, and hopefully pick up new tips.

I also wish to offer CND manicure/pedicures. Do you recommend I still do training in this before hand? I want to offer treatments to my mobile clients now, but due to my kids being on school hols, can't fit it in til late September. Could the official training wait a while?
I did, NVQ in 2000 and only ever had Jessica training when I worked in salon.

Thank you x

I want to do my shellac training I want to find out the science behind it, and hopefully pick up new tips.

I also wish to offer CND manicure/pedicures. Do you recommend I still do training in this before hand? I want to offer treatments to my mobile clients now, but due to my kids being on school hols, can't fit it in til late September. Could the official training wait a while?
I did, NVQ in 2000 and only ever had Jessica training when I worked in salon.

Thank you x

Give Sweet Squared a ring and have a chat. I'm sure there is a dvd available showing procedure for CND mani & pedi treatments which will probably be free if you buy starter kits. Obviously you must already be qualified and proficient with basic manicure & pedicure but it sounds like you are anyway. You can always take the courses later when the children are back at school, or it may be more cost effective to have a 1-2-1 session to 'tweak' your procedures and knowledge.

Latest posts

Back