Do you slow down for horses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have to say that I too disagree with people who don't think horses should be on the roads. This is typical selfish driver attitude. Everyone has a right to use the road; horses, cyclists and even pedestrians and why should they be treated with disrespect just because some knob head thinks that because they own a car they own the road.

and before someone says "well, I pay road tax", well I pay it too, but i still cycle and quite possibly people that own horses pay it also! but unlike cars, cyclists and horses don't polute the atmosphere.

Buggy said:
i have to say that I too disagree with people who don't think horses should be on the roads. This is typical selfish driver attitude. Everyone has a right to use the road; horses, cyclists and even pedestrians and why should they be treated with disrespect just because some knob head thinks that because they own a car they own the road.

and before someone says "well, I pay road tax", well I pay it too, but i still cycle and quite possibly people that own horses pay it also! but unlike cars, cyclists and horses don't polute the atmosphere.

i agree!!

aren't people forgetting that before cars..... during that little thing called 'evolution' ... horses were all we had?? and how fantastic they are for serving man the way they have done.

horses should be on the road. so should cyclists. narrow minded selfish drivers shouldn't.

as the old saying goes... different horses for courses :wink2:

CadenceAlex said:
i agree!!

aren't people forgetting that before cars..... during that little thing called 'evolution' ... horses were all we had?? and how fantastic they are for serving man the way they have done.

horses should be on the road. so should cyclists. narrow minded selfish drivers shouldn't.

as the old saying goes... different courses for horses :wink2:
Well its actually horses for courses, but I understand what your saying, the thing is we have evolved and like it or not cars are here to stay.

Not all drivers are selfish, I just found it hard to understand why you would take a horse on the road, knowing the dangers, but again that has been explained.

Bicycles dont get spooked but horses do, most drivers are, as has been noted here very considerate of horses, but there are inconsiderate people on the roads all the time for example, motorbikes cutting up on the inside and weaving in and out of traffic, cyclists that insist on riding two abreast and taxi's that sit up your A***

jac extreme said:
Well its actually horses for courses, but I understand what your saying, the thing is we have evolved and like it or not cars are here to stay.

Not all drivers are selfish, I just found it hard to understand why you would take a horse on the road, knowing the dangers, but again that has been explained.

Bicycles dont get spooked but horses do, most drivers are, as has been noted here very considerate of horses, but there are inconsiderate people on the roads all the time for example, motorbikes cutting up on the inside and weaving in and out of traffic, cyclists that insist on riding two abreast and taxi's that sit up your A***

i am disgusted almost daily by ignorant drivers... we witnessed an old guy speed through a red light acrosss a main.. (wales/chester/wirral junction).. and i mean extremely busy cross road... he is so lucky nothing was coming because he would have needed to be invincible to survive a head on at that speed...

it's bad, and worrying when u got children...

Hi hun

How awful, I can imagine just how your friend is feeling.

It amazes me why people speed down country lanes, especially as most have blind bends, horses, tractors etc. Has your friend reported it to the BHS. They like to know about any incident involving roads as they are forever campaigning for a safer environment for riders.

I also own horses and know only too well how scary it can be on the roads sometimes. Some drivers even slow down to yell abuse and deliberately scare the horses for revving or blowing their horn!

My friend was out riding in a narrow country lane, (she's had a road accident with her previous horse) and always motions to the driver to slow especially if there is a bend, and always thanks a driver. She did this on this particular day, and the driver sped past her, slammed his brakes on in front of her and her horse and got out, very angry. As he approached her she got her mobile phone out and he disappeared off! I hate to think what might have happened.

Why is everyone is such a rush all the time!

Regards
Deb379

That is so sad. :hug:
I always slow down. After riding horses myself for years I know how dangerous it is to drive past fast or fast round blind bends no matter what.

jac extreme said:

get where youre coming from jac and i think its down to not stereotyping riders or drivers

Hey you should see me drive down a country lane, my other half starts tearing his hair out (whats left of it) as I go so slow, but I always say " I don't know the bloody road, so I refuse to risk life and limb when I dont know if a tractors coming round the bend" and only drive as fast as I feel is safe for me, if something was t be coming the other way. be it a car, tractor, cyclist or horse.

Lellipop said:
Yep I always slow down and if playing the radio will turn it off untill I have passed :)
I do this too, slow down and turn off my radio:)

Deb379 said:
Why is everyone is such a rush all the time!

Regards
Deb379

I think this is half the problem - everyone rushing. It seems to me that the people tearing around the country roads are those that have probably been held up on a main road for whatever reason and are looking for a short cut and trying to make up the time they have lost.:irked:

Buggy said:

Perhaps I was a bit harsh saying horses shouldn't be on roads - I didn't mean it in a selfish way - it just frightened the hell out of me when the incident I was involved in happened and I'm scared of horses anyway so this just made me feel worse. Also it wasn't pleasant for my daughter to witness the injured horse being put down.
Anyway I apologise to horsie lovers:hug: - beautiful animals that I'm frightened of!!

Zuise.e said:
Perhaps I was a bit harsh saying horses shouldn't be on roads - I didn't mean it in a selfish way - it just frightened the hell out of me when the incident I was involved in happened and I'm scared of horses anyway so this just made me feel worse. Also it wasn't pleasant for my daughter to witness the injured horse being put down.
Anyway I apologise to horsie lovers:hug: - beautiful animals that I'm frightened of!!

:hug: no probs chuck, apology accepted I do know that not everyone can get close to horsies my mum is terrified of them too although she thinks they are lovely, she cant understand why anyone would want to ride them x

I always slow down for horses and pull right over. There are loads where I live and you never know whats round the next bend.

No rider really wants to go onto the roads these days, but unfortunately us riders sometimes have to go onto the roads to get to a bridleway, not all riders are fortunate to have direct access to a bridleway. I personally would prefer never to go onto a road again with my horses.

A lot of the time it's ignorance with drivers as they don't realise that something behind a hedge or bush could suddenly spook the horse. That's why you'll find most riders ask the driver to slow down.

It is sometimes safer, and recommended for riders to ride 2 abreast, especially to make the driver slow down because of a narrow bend - defensive riding.

It's the same for bike riders too, they also have to ride onto the roads and I'm sometimes amazed at the risks cars take to pass a bike just because they don't have patience to a wait a while until it is safe. I've been out on my bike recently first time in years, and I rode on the pavement wherever I could.

Things have changed for the worse on the roads, years ago people would be courteous and let others out if they were waiting, now hardly anyone does.
Most drivers speed and are always in a rush.

The BHS do a lot of good work in trying to make things safe for everyone. There's a place up North where riders had no option but to cross a busy main road. Luckily for them their council put a special traffic light controlled crossing in for them.

Deb379

Amydeman - I believe there is a small paragraph mentioned in the Highway code booklet these days. Personally I don't think it's enough, as you say all drivers should be taught how to cope with these situations.

Many riders do everything they can to make their journey safer, there's the riding and road safety test for starters, bright flourescent gear and manners.

I've never forgotten a scary time down a long bendy narrow road which we had to negotiate to get back to the yard. We all hated it as there were so many blind bends and drivers and motorbikes really sped down this road because it was miles long. There were 3 of us out, and I was at the back. I couldn't see what was making this noise and pulled into a layby as it worred me. As my friends came into view of this thing, it turned out to be one of those giant log lorries. He was speeding so fast that he slammed his breaks on and smoke was coming off his wheels! There were giant skid marks everywhere. As you can imagine we were pretty angry, he could have killed all 6 of us. Luckily my friends horses were not bothered by it too much, and I was just so pleased I managed to find a safe place, otherwise I reckon my horse would have been wrapped up in the lorry! Took me ages to track down the company responsible to complain.

Deb379

oh i hate things like this it really upsets me :cry: i and my other half always slow down for a horse as we both know what can happen when they get spooked :eek:
plus i thought there was an actual law going back to whenever laws were brought in to say horse have right of way on the road as they were the first form of transport , and they arnt allowed to change it , (not sure about it but one of the farmers told me about it , and i am sure its true )

After reading this thread the other day, I was in the back of a cab and the driver went speeding down a country lane at 50 mph or so and there was a horse on the other side headed towards us!!!

HE DIDNT SLOW DOWN ONE LITTLE BIT!!! :mad:

You'll be pleased to know that for the rest of the journey he got lectured and a rollocking from me. (I used to be a cab driver myself)
I told him what could happen, to the horse, rider or even his car if he spooked it! He kept saying sorry, sorry, sorry.

He let me off the fair at the end..., quite right too! I was scared, shook up and angry with him to say the least!! :irked:

Tsia said:
After reading this thread the other day, I was in the back of a cab and the driver went speeding down a country lane at 50 mph or so and there was a horse on the other side headed towards us!!!

HE DIDNT SLOW DOWN ONE LITTLE BIT!!! :mad:

You'll be pleased to know that for the rest of the journey he got lectured and a rollocking from me. (I used to be a cab driver myself)
I told him what could happen, to the horse, rider or even his car if he spooked it! He kept saying sorry, sorry, sorry.

He let me off the fair at the end..., quite right too! I was scared, shook up and angry with him to say the least!! :irked:

Well done hun!

I bet he's learnt his lesson....no more dangerous driving or a potential rollocking from his passengers.....

I know this is a very late post buit ive only just come across it.
and I am VERY DISTURED BY IT.

I am a very horsey person, I dont own one yet but myself one of my sons and my daughter all ride.

Its a wonder she never killed herself the stupid cow, common sense tells you not to drive at that speed on a county lane due to blind bends like you said. Has she been prosecuted thats the question, she should be severly find and not allowed to drive again,

IMO killing a horse or any animal for that matter is like killing a human being its still a life at the end of the day.

That girl very imature niave girl should be ASHAMED of herself and should carry guilt around with her for the rest of her life.:smack:

sorry but im just upset and very peed off

I know what you mean! There's a really narrow country road that we drive down on a Sunday to get to a lovely pub in a village about 5 miles east of Shrewsbury that does a fab Sunday lunch and doesn't charge the earth either. Most of the time I do 20 mph or less along the road - or 30 mph or so when it's wider and you can see far enough ahead. It's bad enough being in a *car* when some nutjob comes towards you at silly speed - far worse on a horse!

We always go especially carefully around horses - slowing down to a crawl or sometimes even stopping completely while the horses pass - especially if there are young children on the horses.

Same goes for bikes too - I always leave an especially wide berth when passing bikes, as I know how scary it is when some d i c k w a d cuts you up and nearly knocks you off the bike!!!

Latest posts

Back