Do you struggle selling retail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exquisitebeauty

Reaction score
just wanted to see what other therapists/business owners think and answer. Out of all your products you retail what do you always struggle to sell and the easiest things to sell. And any tips for other salons on how to sell the things they struggle to sell ??

As a hair stylist one thing I like to do is explain to my clients that the products I recommend are going to keep whatever work I did intact. Sometimes I get very stern and say something along the lines like I won't do your hair today if you don't buy this product (but in a much nicer way[emoji12]). Even though I will always do their hair, some people need you to be stern.

But the absolute best way to sell any product is to educate your client. First educate yourself on the product. Know everything about it. And then relay that to the client.
I have noticed that my clients like when I explain the science of how a product works and the chemistry of it.

I like to find out what their concerns are and base my retailing on that. Eg- dehydrated skin- i would say because you mentioned your concern is your skin being dehydrated i recommend you take home this product. It will help hydrate your skin as it contains these ingredients. Its important to maintain your skincare at home to receive optimal results. You will gain positive results coming in for your treatments but continuing this at home will be more beneficial to gain the results you are after. If you educate them why they need the product they usually buy it

I think the main thing is mention what your selling and how it will benefit them, don't sell things you know won't work for them and definitely don't push them too hard! The way torie explains how she sells is probably good for her but if I was in a salon and I was being given the hard sell I wouldn't return just because I hate all that! Hate when people go on and on about a product for ages too when I just want to relax lol puts me off returning!

I'm still waiting for my hairdresser to recommend products. It's now become a game. When he does, I'll buy them. It also totally ps me off that he doesn't have a card machine. Ben - if you're reading this, pull your finger out!

On a personal note. I retail loads. I love my products, and I know why I stock them. I know what makes them different to what's in boots. My enthusiasm is contagious lol. We also have skin and make up events to encourage our clients to come in and learn about the products and to ask questions. I also allow my staff to buy everything at cost, which many salons don't, so they know what the products are like.

Once you have the right products and you learn to sell the sizzle and not the sausage (meaning you sell what it does, not what is made of) you can reap the rewards x

Once you have the right products and you learn to sell the sizzle and not the sausage (meaning you sell what it does, not what is made of) you can reap the rewards x

I love this phrase. I'll spend all day tomorrow trying to find an opportunity to say it!

The only way to sell successfully to clients, it not to sell , but prescribe …. so if they have dry nails, of course they will need a cuticle oil etc. Sell the benefits and if cost is an issue break it down for the clients, this bottle is €15 but will last you 6 months etc :)

thanks noreen i did that with my dermalogica but i seem to struggle to sell sothys blushers mainly and the odd colour lipliners dunno why as i used them on free make overs with purchase but all items ie mascara and foundations and lipgloss i don't have problem but do with their blushes yet nothing wrong with them ??? odd isnt it and i wouldn't mind i don't think their that dear compared to mac and bobbi brown prices

I have the same challenge - I just can't seem to sell the products! I use Eve Taylor products and I firmly believe in them, but I just can't sell them! So please do keep the tips going on how to sell the products.... lovely to read the replies and get some tips on how you all do it! :eek:

Just bang on about how excited you are about the products! then when u use them on the clients explain them, if it's a blusher like above squeal with excitement about the order of blushes that's just gotten delivered! Get excited about your products and believe in them they sell themselves then :)

I don't know why, but I LOVE retailing!

I think a lot of clients appreciate hearing the truth, and in the end they just want to know that someone cares and is willing to listen and help. When I retail I talk to them like I would talk to a friend. I make jokes, I refer to my own use of products, I try my best to make them feel like we're just two girls having a chat about product. There's nothing worse that being sold something with what you know is a well worn spiel or dialogue, it feels forced and fake.

Retailing is a long game. You put in the work and create the trust now - and they'll come back.

In terms of particular products not selling, I would chat to your rep about this as they might have some ideas. Having worked with dozens of brands over the years there are always a few products here and there that are a tough sell, but this is part of knowing your demographic, and knowing what will move and what doesn't. You don't have to sell every product from a skin care or makeup line, cherry pick the ones you know move and sell the sh*t out of them!

Latest posts

Back