Do you use a rest/pillow on your nail table?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdskora

Reaction score
How many of you use a cushion/pillow on your nail table.
I have just read that i should be keeping my arm on my table when filing but at the moment i am flapping my wings around like a chicken....

any tips

How many of you use a cushion/pillow on your nail table.
I have just read that i should be keeping my arm on my table when filing but at the moment i am flapping my wings around like a chicken....

any tips

I thought so ... and that is why your arm was killing you the other day after 8 clients.

I do not use a rest cushion but it is not a bad idea. My filing arm stays in the same place most of the time. It is the finger I turn to change the angle of the file, not the file itself.

I just taught someone to do this the other day who was having the same problem as you and she couldn't believe the difference it made to her. Sounds like your chair may be a bit on the high side too.

I'm having a dust collector in the middle of my table (not built-in but one of those things you can put on any table. I'll try and find a link to a pic if you don't know what I mean). When my clients wrists rest on the dust collector her hands aren't too high in the air for me to balance my fingers on the other side of the it.
My arms rest on my body; there's no space on the table for them and that's just perfect for me. If I put my elbows on the table I soon find my shoulders higher than my ears:lol:
Just try and keep those arms close to your body, sit tall and also make sure your chair supports your lower back.

I'm having a dust collector in the middle of my table (not built-in but one of those things you can put on any table. I'll try and find a link to a pic if you don't know what I mean). When my clients wrists rest on the dust collector her hands aren't too high in the air for me to balance my fingers on the other side of the it.
My arms rest on my body; there's no space on the table for them and that's just perfect for me. If I put my elbows on the table I soon find my shoulders higher than my ears:lol:
Just try and keep those arms close to your body, sit tall and also make sure your chair supports your lower back.

Actually for the best ergonomic posture, your forearm should be resting on the table and not scrunched up at your sides which restricts your movement very much. Your elbow should not be close to your body or at your side, but almost at a right angle to your body which means it must rest on the nail table.

If your shoulders are higher than your ears, then your posture is incorrect and you are sitting way to low.

Here is the rule: To be seated at the right height at your nail desk then, In a sitting position and with your elbows bent at 90º You should be able to rest your arms on your table. If you can do this, your chair is at the correct height for you.

Actually for the best ergonomic posture, your forearm should be resting on the table and not scrunched up at your sides which restricts your movement very much. Your elbow should not be close to your body or at your side, but almost at a right angle to your body which means it must rest on the nail table.

If your shoulders are higher than your ears, then your posture is incorrect and you are sitting way to low.

Here is the rule: To be seated at the right height at your nail desk then, In a sitting position and with your elbows bent at 90º You should be able to rest your arms on your table. If you can do this, your chair is at the correct height for you.

Sorry.. I guess I shouldn't advise others to do it my way:o
I've been trying many different tables, chairs, postures.. and only now when working the way I described in my previous post, I've got rid of a very nasty muscle infection in my upper back.

I am all over the place ... I sit on an angle most of the day... my head is bent over and forward and my chair is obviously ( now!) way to high.
The reason i do that is my client are always pulling away from me and i feel like i am chasing them and pulling their hands back... I ask them to move forward... everytime i let go of their hand they pull it back.. frustrating.

Geeg.. I am tall and have long arms.. I can almost put my arm on the table at any height... how should my shoulder feel...
Can;t you just fly into sydney..... I will pick you up... make you a coffee in my salon and we can play nails for a few hours!!!! LOl.... I wish!

Sorry.. I guess I shouldn't advise others to do it my way:o
I've been trying many different tables, chairs, postures.. and only now when working the way I described in my previous post, I've got rid of a very nasty muscle infection in my upper back.

Well hunni, I really hope you sort it all out or you will just get a problem somewhere else if you are not sitting correctly.
Try it the recommended way ... it does work.

I've been doing it for 20+ years with never a problem apart from the one time I was away from my desk for 3 weeks and when I returned someone had highered my chair. I didn't notice for 3 days and by that time I had severe pain in both my shouder and my elbow. As soon as my chair was at the correct height for me again ... the pain went away.

Geeg.. I am tall and have long arms.. I can almost put my arm on the table at any height... how should my shoulder feel...
Can't you just fly into Sydney?? ..... I will pick you up... make you a coffee in my salon and we can play nails for a few hours!!!! LOl.... I wish!

Well I will be in Sydney for 4 weeks in December so see you then. Send me your details. lol

Don't even tease me..Lol..
PS... My coffee 's arn't that great! LOL

Well I will be in Sydney for 4 weeks in December so see you then. Send me your details. lol

Any chance to see you in Finland in the future..?:)

I do have pain in my shoulders and my forearm and elbow are always burning.. If i have a week off... like I did last week for my son's operation... man do i feel it.
So I will lower the chair... rest my arms and do the right thing.
I want to be around for a long long time too... Some day I might be giving education classes... my dream anyway.

Also Hun don;t worry about what you said in earlier posts... you were just trying to help.. X Mel Chin Up

Well Geeg is coming to Sydney and it would be awesome if we could arrange something. I will be in it
Cheers
Karen

Karen, Where are you Hun?.. I am in wollongong,., I would travel to meet her too...
When i first started talking to her on here i had no idea who she was.., not until i read a post about "The best nails you have even seen"... then i went to look for the famous solar nails.. then i had a look at her profile... and OMG .. I am glad i didn't know all this before becuase I am soooooo beneath her I would never have had the courage to PM her with a question.

Wouldn't it be soooo great to meet and learn from her... I would feel bad if she is coming for a holiday tho.... but if she is here for work... GET ME A TICKET BABY.. I will camp out for one if i have to...lol

Hi I am in Tassie. Geeg is coming to Aussie for a family holiday but she has previously said that if we Aussie geeks could arrange something she would be in on a get together.
Awesome opportunity I think
Cheers
Karen

hi, i used to have problems with my clients hands/arms being in the wrong position, which made it hard for me to get mine in the right position. what i saw in a nail mag was a wedge shaped piece of foam for your client to put their arm on. this was higher at the part facing you and lower at the part facing them. this has made a great improvement to my position and their arm/hand is high enough for you not too have to hold it up.
hope this might help with your problem.

ps i had to order my foam from a company that cuts foam to size.
julie

hi, i used to have problems with my clients hands/arms being in the wrong position, which made it hard for me to get mine in the right position. what i saw in a nail mag was a wedge shaped piece of foam for your client to put their arm on. this was higher at the part facing you and lower at the part facing them. this has made a great improvement to my position and their arm/hand is high enough for you not too have to hold it up.
hope this might help with your problem.

ps i had to order my foam from a company that cuts foam to size.
julie

A rolled up towel works just as well and we all have them! :lol: Plus you can change them for a nice clean one for each client.

I always raise the clients arm using a clean rolled towel. It helps the client to relax the hand so that you can manoeuvre it wherever you want it to go.

Now you have me thinking... my mother in law has those log pillow that she puts behind her back.. my dad had one for driving... I could wrap a towel over that and it would be perfect.
Thanks all once again

Latest posts

Back