Doctors orders!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEBSY

Reaction score
My mum had to have a hysterectomy 6 weeks ago as Endometrial Cancer was found,they said it would have been contained but from the lymph nodes they removed at the same time it is now known that a more aggressive Cancer has spread and so she now has to have Chemo Therapy which starts next monday the 18th which she will have for 18 weeks and then Radiation for a month following that.They have said she will definately lose her hair due to one of the Chemo drugs they are using (she is having combination chemo which consists of 2 drugs being used) this has totally devastated us all.
I have been going every day after work to help with cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing etc (as she has been unable to do these because of the op),i have not minded one bit as i love my mum so much, i would have the chemo for her if i could.I have 2 brothers but they do not help.
The reason i am writing this is because i went to the doctors last week (mum made me go!) i am so tired all the time,but this was happening before mums diagnosis, always aching arms and legs and if i sit i could nod off in a second!
Doctor took some bloods and i get results tomorrow but he is sure they will be clear and just thinks it is caused by all the stress and worry,he said i need to make time for myself(i don't have time,,lol) he also suggested i talk to a third party out of the family so to get to the point i thought of my geek friends and wether any of you have gone through this terrible worrying time with a loved one?
I worry so much for her, i know she is scared ,i am going to sit with her for the chemo on monday which will take 6 hours i know i am going to start blubbing when we go in.
I know i have to think positive and be strong but easier said than done,
Would be nice to hear from any of you that has been or is going through the same :)

Awwwww hun sending you loads of hugs at this sad/stressful time:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:. I wish you & your mum all the best, try to stay positive & I hope you can all have a good xmas none the less, as at least for now its something to keep your spirits up. Bet ya mums stronger than she looks, she'll fight this!! You'll be fine also its probably all the stress your going through at the moment, let us know what doc says & how your mum gets on.:wink2::hug::hug:

I'm kinda going through something similar, but once removed. My Aunt has been fighting cancer all year long, and my mom has been doing all the things you are doing for your mum. My poor mom is soooooo stressed and has literally had to put my dad and us 3 kids aside while she tries to keep up with doctor's appointments, bills and cleaning for her sister whom she loves very much. I wish my mom's doctor would tell her the same as your doctor did! Please, please take your doctor's advise! After all, if you waste yourself you won't be able to help out anyone!

My heart is with you, Best of Luck Debsy!

Well my Dad had prostate cancer and had it removed and had to go through chemo. He lost all his hair (eyebrows and everything) so to make him feel better I took a pair of clippers and..... yep shaved my head. It made him cry but mainly because he saw how much I love him. By the way my hair was down to my butt!

I had cervical cancer and they removed the cancerous cells so that I could still have kids but I have an 80% chance of it coming back.

Cancer is a scarey frightful thing.
It wreaks all kinds of havoc, and I'm not talking only about the 'body', but of the minds and hearts of those involved as well.

Having said that, the best advice that I can offer is "Positive Thinking".
Yes... it sounds crap. I used to think it was 'fluffy crap' myself :lol: I know.. But without getting into the nitty gritty of the soap opera called my life.... I can tell you from personal experience, that positive thinking and 'believing' in positive things can make a HUGE difference for those that are ill and for those around them.

Rather than focusing on the scarey, and worrying about what may or may not be... focus on the positive.
I know it's hard.... been where you are... it's not easy. I know. My heart goes out to you.
But, in truth, worry only makes things worse, and makes us ill from the stress. So, 'worry' bears no results other than negative ones, and worrying will not change what will or will not be. It's a waste of energy to worry.

HOWEVER it's been proven that positive thoughts, positive attitudes can have a HUGE impact... Think positive, focus on what's actively being done and BELIEVE 100,000% that it will work out, that what you're/she is doing is going to make a difference and that all will be well in the end. Be happy not sad... etc.. Seek out treatments that can be done in conjunction with the chemo (say example, certain diets or whatever?) acupuncture etc.. leave no stone unturned.

YES, this is a huge challenge to change your mind in this direction. It's not easy, but once you do, it gets easier.

We're all here for you, for ranting and to lean on our shoulders. DO take time for yourself... you're not very good support if you're burnt out, ok hun?

:hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry you are facing this, I too have experienced this with my Dad. All you can do is be as supportive as possible but to do this effectively you must make time for yourself too. Take care

I had 8 weeks to go with our first baby when my husband found out he had cancer we was devastated.
The doctor was treating him for plurasy my husband knew something wasnt right so kept on going to the doctors till they did a scan and shown a ewin sarcoma which is a bone cancer found in small children.
Luckily where it had grown it was giving my husband pain as it was on his chest wall.
We shouleve started treatment on the monday at st james in leeds we got a call from the consultant on the saturday asking my husband to go in and start the treatment then couldnt wait till monday.
He had an operation to remove the tumor, chemotherapy for 9 months he had to stay in hospital for a week then home a week and so on but then he would end up with an infection then have to go back in between treatments.
He had radio therapy every day for 75 days at cookridge leeds.
It was very hard and upsetting especially when he lost all of his hair that is when it hit me. I took our baby every day to see him just to keep him going.
He is now 3 years in remission, all i can say is keep strong and positive you will all get through this.
I will be senting lots of healing out for you and your family:hug: :hug:

I want to thank you all so much for your replies :hug:

Andrea you must have been an absolute tower of strength for your husband especially with the new baby! So pleased he is now in remission and wish you all the best for the future.

Had to go back to doctors this morning for more blood tests as some have come back as "borderline" whatever that means! Atleast there might be a medical reason for the aching and tiredness! Get results in a week.

Mum seemed alot brighter today the hospital have phoned and when she goes for the chemo on Monday they have arranged for the "wig" lady to see her and sort one out so she is happier about that as they said she would notice hairloss within 2 weeks and she was freaking a bit about it :eek:
She is calling Monday D Day!
I know its wrong but at the time you think this is only happening to you, when mum had the hysterectomy though she was on the Cancer Ward at St James and it really hit me as the ward was full of ladies with the same or similar diagnosis.I have not known anyone close in my life with Cancer before and not ever known the true impact it has on people and their families till now and my love goes out to anyone in this situation :hug:

I have to say it has helped just reading your replies and i know i can have a rant or cry on your shoulders through the bad times if need be :)
Thank you for your good wishes, i am thinking more positive now, i know she will get through this.

Latest posts

Back