Dodgy landlord!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Louise~

Reaction score
I've rented a wee place & I'm getting it done up, a close friend is doing it for me, he owns a company that does that sort of work - but anyhoo, there has been a few bits that needed work done to the building, such as a hazardous fuse board, no fire alarms etc. My friend has let the landlord know as it is his responsibility, but he had the cheek to ask my friend (he doesn't know the connection) to fix it & add it to my bill, that I'd never notice!!! :eek: I am fuming at the sneakiness of it!!!

Should I say it to him? I don't want him thinking he can get away with other funny business on me!

Sorry you feel you are being on the receiving end of an unscrupulous landlord. Most lease agreements though are on a FRI basis so full repairing and insuring which means that you pay for all repairs and reimburse the landlord for the insurance policy that he has to pay for the building.

So if your lease is FRI then you need to cover the repairs and maintain the building throughout your occupancy. You may have negotiated a rent free period which should cover the cost of some if not all the repairs.

Good luck with the new business venture x

I don't know the law on this as rules and regulations on renting change all the time, but mine and my hubbys office has fire alarms fitted which are tested weekly this is down to the landlord, but things like alarm systems, correct fire extinguishers are down to us. All the electrics, gas fittings, fire doors, entry alarms are down to the landlord and must be to government standard. I've rented offices for nearly 20 years and there isn't much we haven't come across with landlords trying to get away with, one being that the roof was our responsibility and in this case the roof needed replacing, hence to say we dropped out of this property before we signed up. A good solicitor when dealing with a lease is sometimes money well spent!! PS, it sounds like your friend knows something about the law on renting so he's worth listening to. Good luck with your new venture xx

Sorry you feel you are being on the receiving end of an unscrupulous landlord. Most lease agreements though are on a FRI basis so full repairing and insuring which means that you pay for all repairs and reimburse the landlord for the insurance policy that he has to pay for the building.

So if your lease is FRI then you need to cover the repairs and maintain the building throughout your occupancy. You may have negotiated a rent free period which should cover the cost of some if not all the repairs.

Good luck with the new business venture x

Thank you - I'm so nervous though!

No, it's definitely his responsibility, the estate agent has also stated this & a solicitor I've spoken to. It's not so much of a repair ....what's the word I'm looking for?? My mind has gone blank, lol

Thank you - I'm so nervous though!

No, it's definitely his responsibility, the estate agent has also stated this & a solicitor I've spoken to. It's not so much of a repair ....what's the word I'm looking for?? My mind has gone blank, lol

Well that is unusual, I'm just in the process of taking on another business property and it is FRI, my first was FRI too. With home rentals the landlord has to keep everything in good working order and safe with regards to electrics, gas etc as that is the new government direction but that is not applicable to business premises. Check your lease and you'll see what it says pertaining to repairs and your responsibility.

Ooh and don't be nervous, as long as you have done a business plan and stick to your budget you'll be fine!!!!! x

Latest posts

Back