Does a salon semi colour cover grey?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi geeks, just a query please as I have been given conflicting advice today. I usually have my roots tinted every 6 weeks (think its a base 6 colour) as I have a tiny amount of grey just under my fringe - probably about the size of a 10pence piece so defo not loads!

Anyway, I'm fed up with my boring flat dull colour so wondered if I could have a glossy semi colour instead, probably in a mahogany colour to liven it up a bit. My usual hairdresser said I can't as it won't cover the grey but she's not great at colouring (although amazing at cut/blow dry) so I thought I'd go and have a couple of consultations elsewhere. One salon said yes a semi does cover grey and one said it didn't! So I need some advice please. No salons round here seem to stock quasi colours so it would just be a semi, but will it work? The salon that said it would come out fine were reccommending Paul Mitchell shine semi colour, the others I don't know what brand they use.

Any advice please hair geeks?

Thanks ever so much :)

Some semis/Demi's do cover grey, some only blend it. Depends on the brand really. Another solution is to touch up the regrowth with your normal tint, then apply a semi over the whole thing to get the mahogany shiney effect.

I use Loreal and the glossing range covers up to 70% grey hair, but if you are looking for a permanent colour that gives shine, anomia free and covers 100% than Inoa is amazing and isn't dense/heavy like a regular permanent, it's more multi tonal x

Thanks ladies. When I have my tint, theres never any regrowth really just my 10pence bit of grey to hide lol

That's a good idea tinting the grey bit then covering with the semi. Would they have to wait for the tint to develop first though (45 mins?) coz that would add onto the time and price I'm guessing.

Has anyone used the Paul Mitchell Shine semi's? Are they good? Also, do all semis give a lot of shine? I used to have semis donkeys years ago and they were always lovely but have no clue what they're like nowadays.

Thanks for your help x

Also, roughly how many washes do semis last for please?

Semis - 4-6 washes can BLEND white hair a little.

Demi's - can COVER upto 75% - (translucent)

Permanent - COVER upto 100%

It's possible to have permanent on the patch and Demi else where.

The words Demi/ semi etc should be redundant most hairdressers don't even know the difference let along clients- that's why you got conflicting info.

Look at the above info an see what you want from a colour- do you want translucent coverage or blanket coverage from your colour.

Semis - 4-6 washes can BLEND white hair a little.

Demi's - can COVER upto 75% - (translucent)

Permanent - COVER upto 100%

It's possible to have permanent on the patch and Demi else where.

The words Demi/ semi etc should be redundant most hairdressers don't even know the difference let along clients- that's why you got conflicting info.

Look at the above info an see what you want from a colour- do you want translucent coverage or blanket coverage from your colour.

Thanks for the reply :)

It's the Paul Mitchell Shine XG range she'll be using and I just googled it and its a Demi so hopefully it will cover the grey. I just want a rich, glossy mahogany colour. Hopefully that's what I'll get coz I'm booked in for a few weeks time now!

Latest posts

Back