Does anyone know much about email marketing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellideb

Nails & Beauty
Reaction score
I would like to start sending out my clients a monthly email newsletter with special offers etc but I've literally no idea where to start, which is the best company to go with or even how to make it simple as I've tried a few companies and I just get confused, there doesn't seem to be many options for designs and it just seems a bit complicated! Any advice much appreciated.

This is a really good idea, and have seen many salons make it work. i am also interested in what content and how to word it. x

I suggest you try MailChimp. It's free to send up to a monthly limit and quite easy to customise templates, depending on how confident you get In using it (it's quite easy) :)

I suggest you try MailChimp. It's free to send up to a monthly limit and quite easy to customise templates, depending on how confident you get In using it (it's quite easy) :)
Hi! I've tried mailchimp but I'm finding it complicated. I'm actually very good with computers, I can design websites no problem but this has me chewing my fists in frustration!

Oh, what are you stuck with, maybe I can help?

Hi! I've tried mailchimp but I'm finding it complicated. I'm actually very good with computers, I can design websites no problem but this has me chewing my fists in frustration!

I've used Mailchimp as well as a few other platforms and it's certainly not the easiest (I chewed my fists too). But it is free, a big plus. This one is also very cheap but it's much easier to design a nice e-mail (or just use plain text for stronger personalisation). www.activecampaign.com. You can do a free trial then it's only $9US per month up to 500 contacts. Another easy one to use is www.convertkit.com. But it starts at $30 p/m.

In terms of content, you probably don't know it yet but you've got so much experience behind you that you can write about. Your clients come to you for expert help with beauty etc. So, tell them stories that they want to hear about. Profile a client, and how you've transformed them. Or teach a specific technique that they might find interesting.

Hope that helps :)
R

Oh, what are you stuck with, maybe I can help?
I'm stuck in the copy and pasting the email addresses to begin with. It seems to say: email address, name, surname in that format but when I do this it doesn't accept it.

I've used Mailchimp as well as a few other platforms and it's certainly not the easiest (I chewed my fists too). But it is free, a big plus. This one is also very cheap but it's much easier to design a nice e-mail (or just use plain text for stronger personalisation). www.activecampaign.com. You can do a free trial then it's only $9US per month up to 500 contacts. Another easy one to use is www.convertkit.com. But it starts at $30 p/m.

In terms of content, you probably don't know it yet but you've got so much experience behind you that you can write about. Your clients come to you for expert help with beauty etc. So, tell them stories that they want to hear about. Profile a client, and how you've transformed them. Or teach a specific technique that they might find interesting.

Hope that helps :)
R
That helps quite a bit thank you! :)

I'm stuck in the copy and pasting the email addresses to begin with. It seems to say: email address, name, surname in that format but when I do this it doesn't accept it.
Can you try and re-import your mailing list from a .csv file? You just save an excel file in that format and upload it as one and it will automatically assign each field to the correct type. MailChimp support are very helpful if you can't resolve it.

I think this is a great tool to have at your disposal. I have tried mailchimp, but I just hate having 4 or 5 programs for different things at my shop.
Mailchimp was kinda complex, but I moved to overall salon management soft, which includes bulk messaging via text or e-mail. And just one program :)

Can you try and re-import your mailing list from a .csv file? You just save an excel file in that format and upload it as one and it will automatically assign each field to the correct type. MailChimp support are very helpful if you can't resolve it.
Right that makes sense! I had no idea what a .csv file meant but I understand excel! I've tried contacting mailchimp but couldn't find a number to call then emailed them and got no response so you can see why I was chewing fist!

I think this is a great tool to have at your disposal. I have tried mailchimp, but I just hate having 4 or 5 programs for different things at my shop.
Mailchimp was kinda complex, but I moved to overall salon management soft, which includes bulk messaging via text or e-mail. And just one program :)
We have a salon appointment sheduling system but it doesn't include email marketing unfortunately (yet) and I don't want to switch to another system ask we're very happy with the one we're using and it's free!

We have a salon appointment sheduling system but it doesn't include email marketing unfortunately (yet) and I don't want to switch to another system ask we're very happy with the one we're using and it's free!
Researching systems is what I recommend. If you don't, you end up paying for 3 or 4 different and less supperior systems :p Free isn't always good :D I've learned that the hard way. Paid systems are not always good either, like timely, where their customer support was avaliable only on New Zealand time :p

Right that makes sense! I had no idea what a .csv file meant but I understand excel! I've tried contacting mailchimp but couldn't find a number to call then emailed them and got no response so you can see why I was chewing fist!

Lol! Well, see how you get on doing that and if it helps. Then once they are all in separate columns you can re-label each column as firstname/lastname etc if you need to.

My first job out of Uni was as a designer with an email marketing company ;)

As suggested above, the best is probably Mail Chimp- and it's free up until a certain amount of emails (I forget how many, but it's a lot).

However, it (and most of them) can be a little daunting if you're not IT savvy (to an extent) or have a background in design.

MY BIGGEST advice would be to not bother doing any until you have lots and lots of people to email to.

The "conversion rate" on email marketing is pretty low to be honest (since spam filtering became more aggressive and frankly people have become more "used" to email spam and ignore it)

If it's something you're really keen on doing then spend lots of time "harvesting" email addresses before you even send your first one out.

Honestly? If you're not emailing a few thousand people. It's not worth it. You're best sticking to normal marketing and social media.

We use it, but we've been adding to our mailing list for over 7 years- it's still not the most effective way of marketing for us either. It's just a "bonus".

My first job out of Uni was as a designer with an email marketing company ;)

As suggested above, the best is probably Mail Chimp- and it's free up until a certain amount of emails (I forget how many, but it's a lot).

However, it (and most of them) can be a little daunting if you're not IT savvy (to an extent) or have a background in design.

MY BIGGEST advice would be to not bother doing any until you have lots and lots of people to email to.

The "conversion rate" on email marketing is pretty low to be honest (since spam filtering became more aggressive and frankly people have become more "used" to email spam and ignore it)

If it's something you're really keen on doing then spend lots of time "harvesting" email addresses before you even send your first one out.

Honestly? If you're not emailing a few thousand people. It's not worth it. You're best sticking to normal marketing and social media.

We use it, but we've been adding to our mailing list for over 7 years- it's still not the most effective way of marketing for us either. It's just a "bonus".
Well this is good information, thank you! I was wondering just the other day on the effectiveness of email marketing because personally, I hate 'spam' and I send the majority of it to my junk folder without even checking it, even from companies that I like and I'm sure most people are the same. Every so often I'll have an unsubscribe cull. The best advertising, in my opinion, is person to person, or word of mouth and the more blabby clients you can invite in to the salon the better your chances of growth are!

Latest posts

Back