Does anyone not use hair nets when spray tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemma johnson

Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm a mobile beauty therapist, i've been qualified as a spray tan therapist since 2010, however recently i realized that i must be the only person in my area using hair nets (mop caps) when tanning, does anyone else not use them? it was save me money on my profit margin but i cant work out why else i woudn't use them. i was trained using mop caps, sticky feet and barrier cream, but have notice clients not wanting these as other therapist don't use them? thanks in advance

I used barrier cream and sticky feet when i first started out but now dont bother. Once you perfect your application, theres no need for it. I just get them to tie their hair back of their skin and have had no issues

thank you! i have been used to using sticky feet, i am kinda attached to them but the whole hair net thing was bothering me as so many people don't want to use them. thanks for your reply

I use all of it, it kind of sets me apart from the rest. I wouldn't force them to put a hairnet on if they didn't want to mind! Lol.x

Always best to have them to hand if needed but not essential. Like others have said you could ask them to tie their hair back. However you are showing yourself as a proper pro using all disposables.
Only exception I would say is lighter hair colours (particularly bleached /damaged hair). This hair could potentially 'Grab' the spray tan bronzer causing a tinge to the beginning of the hair line after time. Far fetched but better safe than sorry M'dear.

I used feet but now put a large black towel down in the tent which gets flipped between clients to save on feet costs.

I always use barrier - Clients will often touch themselves after a tan which causes transfer of the tan to their palms. If you hadn't used barrier they could by all means continue to complain and insist it was your doing. If you have used barrier you can quickly resolve the complaint by pointing out the barrier was put on to protect the palm from tanning (as well as toe nail and finger nails) and removed after tanning. Fool proof ;)

Can I ask about not using sticky feet as I'm just starting out. How do you prevent their feet soaking up the tan if they are standing on a towel or the base of a tent? x

If they're feet are soaking up tan you need to turn your gun down you are using far too much solution! I don't use sticky feet I have a fresh towel down for every client my over spray is to a minimum due to having my gun on the right setting.

I use turbie towels for clients I find a lot will just stick there hair up and won't bother but as has been said anyone with bleached hair could grab some of the colour and discolour there own hair

I've not used hair nets or shower caps before and i've never had any trouble, but i would worry that their cap would cover part of their skin leaving a white patch, or otherwise not cover part of the hair leaving that hair exposed. Does anyone have this problem?

I'm trying to upmarket myself so i'm looking into all the accessories. What do most of you use for barrier cream? Do you go for something from your tanning provider or use a cheaper version?

Thanks geeks x

A few years ago when i first started tanning I didnt use them or sticky feet!
However now my business is called 'Luxe Tanning' I now use them x
(I find them a waste of money tbh)

Can I ask about not using sticky feet as I'm just starting out. How do you prevent their feet soaking up the tan if they are standing on a towel or the base of a tent? x
You only very lightly spray the top of the feet. I do it in a zig zag motion once and thats enough.

So long as your gun is set correctly your not saturating the towel to the point where it would soak the feet - I've done tanning for years and I've never had anyone say its transferred to the feet :)

I use a damp towel and I use fairly warm water. The towel is just damp not soaking wet. And the warm water I think is a nice touch because it keeps their feet warm. I've never had problems with the solution getting on the feet and the clients like the warm feeling. But sticky feet are good, I personally just didn't like all the waste it creates.

Be careful with clients that have bleach hair if you don't use anything to cover the hair their hair will go a bit orange and stain so use something to cover it.

I only use them if a client has short or wispy hair

Latest posts

Back