Does anyone offer a Double Exposure Spray Tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunSpray

Reaction score
Hi All,
From what I've been reading, some peeps insist that spray tanning 2 layers of solution (one after the other) makes absolutely no difference to the final result. Some peeps, on the other hand, believe 2 sprays give a deeper, longer lasting tan.

I was trained to give just one spray. However, a couple of my clients insist on being spray tanned twice, and I charge them £5 extra to cover the extra time it takes and the solution used.

What I'd like to know is if anyone offers a "Double Exposure" on their price list? If you do, I'm wondering how you word it? I'm finding the wording tricky because using the words "for a deeper, longer lasting tan ..." might seem like having one layer gives a "lighter, shorter lasting tan .."!!!

My price list is being updated at the moment and I can't decide whether to market the Double Exposure or not. What do you think? Thanks xx

I was taught to go over twice in the same routine as the first although now with the HVLP I just swoosh over the back legs front again the second time.

It won't particularly make the tan go any darker as the tan will only develop one colour depth anyway. It also would not last longer because its still penetrating the same depth :confused:.

But what I am to understand is that you have millions of cells in one small area and if I spray once only 70-85% of the melanin present will react, if I go over again it gets the rest. Its probably hear'say but I am stuck in my old ways and still teach that way too. :green:

Everyone will have different views because until proper trials are done we will probably never know!!

Martin Duffy might be able to clarify a broader unbiased opinion as he has a degree in skin :eek: or silimar....

Hope your well anyway!

Kate xx

oh and I don't have it on my pricelist. And I agree with you that if you say deeper longer lasting tan the other clients will feel shortchanged.

And thinking more about it, when I do fair skinned clients and only have a 10% in my kit I do one quick light coat and it develops lightly lol! Hmmmm!

Kate xx

Thanks Kate, been thinking about this for ages. Your bit about only 70-85% of the melanin reacting with the solution gives strength, then, to those who claim a double spray makes a difference.... and sounds rather logical....:)

Thanks Kate, been thinking about this for ages. Your bit about only 70-85% of the melanin reacting with the solution gives strength, then, to those who claim a double spray makes a difference.... and sounds rather logical....:)

Its the only thing that makes sense lol! :green: Although it also ensures you get every nook and cranny, and then if you forget a bit you get it the second time lol!

Spray guns atomise as such a fine mist now with HVLP Turbines it probably does not need two coats unlike the earlier systems.

Suppose its like painting a fence that needs two coats....

x

It doesn't make any difference if you spray twice. If you spray someone with a 10% solution they will in effect have a 10% reaction. If you spray them again they are still going to have a 10% reaction.
Think of all the places that you overlap your stripes when spraying. Those places have been sprayed twice and yet your clients don't end up looking like one light stripe and then darker stripes where you have overlapped!
Studies have been done on poor little bald mice and it made no difference if they had the same % of dha sprayed over them twice.
The only time i ever spray an area twice is if i think i may have missed a bit and then i just give a quick spritz over that area.

It doesn't make any difference if you spray twice. If you spray someone with a 10% solution they will in effect have a 10% reaction. If you spray them again they are still going to have a 10% reaction.
Think of all the places that you overlap your stripes when spraying. Those places have been sprayed twice and yet your clients don't end up looking like one light stripe and then darker stripes where you have overlapped!
Studies have been done on poor little bald mice and it made no difference if they had the same % of dha sprayed over them twice.
The only time i ever spray an area twice is if i think i may have missed a bit and then i just give a quick spritz over that area.
spot on reply angelina if your using a good hvlp machine good technique and decent solution there is no need to double spray and 10 percent sprayed twice is still 10 percent :confused::confused:

It is just a case of old school training with the older version of machines, and it is probably just a precaution to ensure you haven't sneakily missed a bit like the smile lines under the bum :eek:!

It is just a case of old school training with the older version of machines, and it is probably just a precaution to ensure you haven't sneakily missed a bit like the smile lines under the bum :eek:!
yeh i agree the old air brush system was a bit hit n miss but the t200 and the 5008 save loads of time and solution :lol:

I have been tanning for many years, I have always sprayed twice. The second coat is a quick light mist, I gives me added peace of mind that i've covered every bit! I do not over spray and use very little solution, and also complete a full body tan in a few minutes....I guess what i'm trying to say is that I just feel happier doing a second light coat!!

Latest posts

Back