Does physical appearance of therapists matter?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparklyhat

Reaction score
Heya! Hope this doesn't offend anyone but I really need to ask it and I figured qualified beauty professionals would be the best people to ask!

Basically, I want to apply for a beauty diploma BTEC and I'm worried that I don't really look the part because I'm overweight and that maybe I shouldn't apply because of this. Would people really want beauty advice and treatment from someone who is quite fat?

I am trying to lose weight but if I managed to get on a course for September I'd still be at least 13 stone at 5 ft 4 :( I could wait a year and would probably be down to 9 stone but if I wait I might miss out on funding (to help with childcare) and not get to do the course anyway. I'm worried as well that the other girls/women on the course might judge me because I'm so overweight and that might affect my enjoyment of the course too.

I don't wear much makeup anymore atm either because I don't know how to apply it to flatter my fatter face and I know that won't look professional either.

Am I best waiting a year and hoping I still get the funding? Or going for it now when its really likely I will get the funding? Thanks everyone :)

Go for it now!! So long as your clean and tidy it doesn't matter what you look like. I'm not one for wearing lots of make up, or tan. I don't wear false lashes or nails, but I always make sure my hair is tidy and my uniform is clean.
A bit of mascara and some lip gloss goes a long way :) xx

I think that as long as you are smart, clean and presentable you will be fine! I was at The Event recently and one thing that struck me was that there were all sorts of shapes and sizes!

Why not book a make up lesson or watch you tube videos to learn more about applying make up?

Heya! Hope this doesn't offend anyone but I really need to ask it and I figured qualified beauty professionals would be the best people to ask!

Basically, I want to apply for a beauty diploma BTEC and I'm worried that I don't really look the part because I'm overweight and that maybe I shouldn't apply because of this. Would people really want beauty advice and treatment from someone who is quite fat?

I am trying to lose weight but if I managed to get on a course for September I'd still be at least 13 stone at 5 ft 4 :( I could wait a year and would probably be down to 9 stone but if I wait I might miss out on funding (to help with childcare) and not get to do the course anyway. I'm worried as well that the other girls/women on the course might judge me because I'm so overweight and that might affect my enjoyment of the course too.

I don't wear much makeup anymore atm either because I don't know how to apply it to flatter my fatter face and I know that won't look professional either.

Am I best waiting a year and hoping I still get the funding? Or going for it now when its really likely I will get the funding? Thanks everyone :)

If you are serious about this industry and are prepared to put everything in to it then you absolutely should go for it.

If you don't think you are going to be excited and passionate about it and ready for the lifelong learning and research that comes along with it then choose something easier.

To make money in this industry you need to be commited, knowledgeable, and great at least one discipline and good at all the rest!!

If this is you .. then get on and do it and the absolute best of good luck to you my lovely.

Your weight is incidental, so long as you have the drive and the love ... and perhaps you will lose weight along the way which may be an added bonus :hug:

to be honest, no its doesnt matter what you look like as long as your confident and capable of doing the job. We dont all have to look like clones. xoxo

Go for it. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and passion for the industry comes from within. The love you have for your work will be there for clients to see. You'll learn new treatments and be able to perform them on yourself (mostly). As your training continues your passion and confidence will grow. With regards to size we all have differing figures, clients like to feel comfortable with their therapist sometimes physically (large or small) but most importantly they want a knowledgeable, considerate and passionate professional. It's all about your positive attitude and ability.

I don't do beauty, I'm a nail girl- let me tell you a little secret, before I started training at 30 the last and only time I ever had my nails done was a quick file and polish at a spa day for my sister's hen do and a set of enhancements (which I bit off!) for my sister's wedding when I was 23. I've never had a professional pedicure in my life. My point is now I have beautiful fingers and toes all year round. One because the best form of advertising is show casing your work on yourself, two because I love having beautiful fingers and toes and three because I now have the skill to produce a professional polish job.

Don't you dare let size stop you missus, get cracking and get yourself booked on that course lovey :) x x x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hello.
I think u might echo how lots of ladies feel about themselves.

Going off and doing your training with inspire you and motivate you in a way you don't realise.

Seeing others there on the course might actually make you feel a bit better.

I trained in January, I walked in at the grand age of 38 (although young at heart) thinking I'd be the oldest & largest lady there.

I was by no means either..I felt & bit better.
Also, the older, larger ladies weren't in any way made to feel awkward. Everyone was treated the same.

Also, like you, I don't wear makeup much having lost the flair, but whenever I have a client, I adorn my work tunic etc, brush my teeth & hair, apply mascara, lippy & I feel ok. you can too.

Go grab your dreams & enjoy achieving them. Big hugs x

Just because one is overweight doesn't mean one isn't beautiful!

Lots of older clients like a more natural shaped women !
Just make the best of yourself , get your hair done and buy a new lipstick ! That will boost your confidence.
I wish you well with the course,you will soon learn how to do your make up to suit you and feel great. X

My BMI is 28. something. That didn't stop me being one of the top in my class :D and I intend to be the best in class next year to make sure I come out the other end the best therapist I can be.

Go for it! If you want to lose weight, then do it while on the course, you can be the size you want to be by the time the course is done xx

How very dare you! I am 5' 4'' and just over 13 stone and I thought I was skinny! You have shattered my dillusion now for goodness sake ha ha ha.

The simple answer is that it doesn't matter what size, shape, colour, creed or sex you are it will be your personality and your care and knowledge which will make you a success in the industry.

You get yourself signed up my darling, you will be amazing! :)

Go for it! I'm 25 years old, 5'6" very overweight with a BMI of 39. Yet I run a very successful business and have never had a comment to my face about my weight.

It's important to be clean, tidy, hair out of your face and just generally look presentable. Don't let your weight put you off.

Honey, I am a size 22 and have been running a successful business for a year and a half. My clients say they feel more comfortable (especially with treatments like waxing) with a "real" person, not someone skinny and glamorous!

However, if I was skinny and glamorous I'm sure that would have it's upsides too?!

The point I'm getting at is that beauty comes in all different shapes and sizes. It shouldn't matter what you look like because as long as you're clean, neat and smell pleasant then people won't (or at least shouldn't) judge you by your size. Go for it - hold your head high and be confident :)

Xxx

No. Quit. You're too fat.

OH MY GOODNESS!!
What an absolutely ridiculous thing to think!!
You seriously have absolutely nothing to worry about and I can't believe you even think its an issue!!

As long as you brush your teeth and don't smell of BO I don't think you have anything to worry about and if you were closer I may have to smack you up the side of the head and knock a bit of sense into you.

And actually, as it happens I'd always prefer to go to someone who isn't photoshopped perfection as the last thing I'd want is to be made to feel inadequate so actually you are in a better position than some in my opinion.

Now go work on your self esteem woman!!

Xx

And quite honestly...13 stone is not FAT!!! Xx

To me, beauty therapy is for everyone. It's about making women of all shapes and sizes feel good in themselves and that they can make the best of what they have. In this respect, I think it brings value to the industry to have people of all shapes and sizes working as confident beauty therapists because it shows that the industry represents all women.

I dream of being 13 stone - that is my goal if I ever manage to lose weight from my present 'huge and hefty' state....

Never let weight stop you doing anything you want to. I have yo-yo'd all my life between 13 and 20 stone - presently on the 'heavier' size. I learnt to snowboard in the alps at age 50 and 20 stone, go skiing every year and do foot health, nails, massage and reflexology.

I do the clean and smart bit, but am not a girly girl and dont wear make up. Ive never had an interest in beauty - have been more into sport - but got into doing nails though my foot health.

Never ever let weight stop you doing anything. Dont loose weight unless you want to do it for you. Remember you are beautiful.

Go fo it girl - follow your dreams!

x

Hiya, I was the same as you I thought I couldn't do beauty cause I'm over weight and too old as im 29 but I started last yr doing my level 2 and I never looked back I even sign up to do my level 3. The only person that will stop you doing beauty is you, so stop looking at your weight and look at the person you are and go for it and good luck xxx

If you want the truth, yes looks matter, you have to look like a therapist, act like one and be one. Make sure you take time to keep your nails, skin and hair in tip top condition, have nice makeup on, be clean, smart ironed clothes and always be presentable. Weight isn't part of that list because an overweight person can still have the above.
I've worked with a woman who was bigger than the largest uniform provided (so had to source her own), she kept her job through hard work, customer service and being presentable in all areas not on her being supermodel size.
We aren't skinny or supermodels in my salon, were people, and a lot of our clients like it. We have first time spray tanners in who are overweight because they don't feel like they will be judged when they have just underwear on, they feel comfortable lounging in the salon between treatments, some have never been to a salon in their adult life's because of the fear that everyone will be skinny and super beautiful and we crushed them fears under our sensible flat shoes!
Go for it and get them clients who wouldn't go for treatments to skinny miss skinny, and you'll feel great for it. X

If you want the truth, yes looks matter, you have to look like a therapist, act like one and be one. Make sure you take time to keep your nails, skin and hair in tip top condition, have nice makeup on, be clean, smart ironed clothes and always be presentable. Weight isn't part of that list because an overweight person can still have the above.
I've worked with a woman who was bigger than the largest uniform provided (so had to source her own), she kept her job through hard work, customer service and being presentable in all areas not on her being supermodel size.
We aren't skinny or supermodels in my salon, were people, and a lot of our clients like it. We have first time spray tanners in who are overweight because they don't feel like they will be judged when they have just underwear on, they feel comfortable lounging in the salon between treatments, some have never been to a salon in their adult life's because of the fear that everyone will be skinny and super beautiful and we crushed them fears under our sensible flat shoes!
Go for it and get them clients who wouldn't go for treatments to skinny miss skinny, and you'll feel great for it. X

Can't agree enough. To answer your question, yes it does matter how you look - clean, made up and caring about your appearance. But size - no way! Whereabouts in the country are you? I'm sure some fellow geeks would be glad to help with a bit of make up advice. It can work wonders for your confidence x

Latest posts

Back