Does Shellac extend the nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellyAnnJ

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I'm new to all this and I do tanning not nails. But.... I always normally get my nails done with acrylic but condition of my nails is bad after.

If I had shellac or gel do u also put the extension tip on? As my nails are down to my knuckles all most!!

Basically wanna know if can still have the tip put on with gel on top or if that's only with acrylic.?

Thanks. X

Shellac or gel does not extend nails
You would have an enhancement either acrylic or hard gel to lengthen and shape your existing nail and then if you wish to have shellac or gel colour on top of the acrylic you can

Great that explains it. Thank u

No problem. But if your nails are really bad atm I would suggest a treatment before having an enhancement
Do you have a good nail tech local?

I usually just go to the NSS nail bars ! Don't know anything other than that really [emoji53] what kind of treatment ?

Moderator note: removed ethic reference

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually just go to the NSS nail bars ! Don't know anything other than that really [emoji53] what kind of treatment ?

Coco I will leave you to educate Kelly in not going to NSS nail bars and why this is probably why her nails are in a poor condition! [emoji6]

Kelly - you can have beautiful nails again I promise if you follow a regime using professional products from qualified nail techs [emoji171]

Last edited by a moderator:
*deep breath*
Ok kelly your in the right place to get lots of good advice on where to go for not only beautiful nails but maintaining the health of your nails is just as important. There are lots of reasons why NSS salons should be avoided. Here's just a few to take into consideration. Salon hygiene is abysmal. No proper sanitisation of tool as they jump from one customer to the next. The products used are generally poor quality. Due to insufficient labelling some salons may be using MMA acrylic. MMA stands for methyl methacrylate, it has a very strong odour. And is so strong that removal is like battling against a strong storm in the nail world and even the NSS salons resort in filing most of it off.. That is if you dare even mention a removal to them. MMA is banned in the USA. Google it. So much info. Also,
Your paying for a luxury treatment when having your nails done, and often the atmosphere is hostile with customers in and out. and if you ask for a little more square they mumble to one another making you feel like you've insulted them.
I'm going to have to come back to this I have to take my daughter into school and I have a client straight after but I'm not done here.. Lol or someone can take over loulou it's all yours for now [emoji12][emoji12]

Hi back now
Also they file the natural Nail bed with a powerful efile and sometimes only stop if they burn you.

I would recommend seeing a nail tech that will maintain the health of your nails whilst making them pretty. For treatment you have rescueRXX or IBX
Where abouts are you? Maybe one of our ladies can see you

Last edited:
Hey thanks for advise. I went for a spa weekend this weekend and had a manicure and the lady put gel on my nails in a nude colour to help my nails grow by not biting them etc.

Hey thanks for advise. I went for a spa weekend this weekend and had a manicure and the lady put gel on my nails in a nude colour to help my nails grow by not biting them etc.

Oh how lovely do you like them

Yes love them! Feels so much nicer as well. I'd like to do a course to offer this to my clients as well as tanning but what course would be best in nails do u think ? I have no previous experience but been thinking about adding an extra service to tanning x

I am a CND girl (think Coco is too!) so am biased but you can't go wrong with the CND courses - they do beginners in each area too (shellac, L&P, Gel) so even if you haven't got any existing nail qualifications you can do a course.

[emoji171]

Thanks for reply ! Oh that's good I thought u might have to have a pre requisite before hand ! I'll have to have a look. What company did u train through, was it direct or through someone else ? X

Thanks for reply ! Oh that's good I thought u might have to have a pre requisite before hand ! I'll have to have a look. What company did u train through, was it direct or through someone else ? X

I trained with Sweet Squared at their training academy. Sweet Squared are the official UK distributor of CND.

Lovely thank u

Latest posts

Back