Doggy Geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyrazz

Reaction score
A week ago my 6 month old devil dog had an operation to remove a lump off her lower leg. It was nothing nasty and the vet said that normally they go away on their own but because of where it was she was constantly licking it and it was red raw and looked very sore. So the next day she went in for the op (£115 for a 15 minute operation eek!) and came home with a big bandage and one of those silly cone buster collars to keep her off it and looking rather sorry for herself.
On Tuesday she managed, despite the buster collar, to chew through the bandage right above the wound, so back we went to the vets and she got it all cleaned/disinfected and fresh bandage on. The vet also gave us a bigger buster collar...one that is meant for a great dane :o
Her latest appointment was yesterday and the vet decided that as it was healing nicely he wanted to take the bandage off because it needed some air to dry it out. I protested a bit, thinking that she wouldn't leave it alone and would make it sore again. He said "she won't get at it with that big collar on, just put a sock over it so its covered but it can still breathe." I know my dog and she is super determind and sure enough, despite this blooming collar meant for a great dane (shes only a small greyhound) she is back to constantly licking it.

So, just wondering if anyone has any wonderful tips to try and keep her off it before she ends up making it worse?:confused:

I don't have a dog, but could you put a muzzle on her while you're out and while you're with her just try and distract her or something? I kow some people don't like muzzles on dogs but it would oly be temporary and might be worth a try?! Xx

I've got a ****zu that is prone to cysts and they pop on they're own (discusting I know sorry!) and he's constantly licking/trying to lick them! We put an antiseptic cream on and he won't lick that! We put a sock on him too and secure it with a hair bobble :) sorry not much help xx

Asif you can't write that dog breed! I'm not swearing honest! :) x

When my dog had an op recently she came home in a babygro lol

Our vets have stopped using the collars as the dogs don't like them and have started using these babygro type things. They popper at the back end for garden visits, it was really adorable and she didn't seem to mind at all.

Her op was on her tummy so it's a bit different, her babygro only had short legs in, but it strikes me yours needs one with legs in, if there is such a thing, with maybe something tougher underneath. I wonder if its possible to buy/make such a thing?

When my dog had an op recently she came home in a babygro lol

Our vets have stopped using the collars as the dogs don't like them and have started using these babygro type things. They popper at the back end for garden visits, it was really adorable and she didn't seem to mind at all.

Her op was on her tummy so it's a bit different, her babygro only had short legs in, but it strikes me yours needs one with legs in, if there is such a thing, with maybe something tougher underneath. I wonder if its possible to buy/make such a thing?

Mine used to wear actual baby clother from adams's, he loves clothes and getting dressed. Also know a Great Dane who had really bad seasons and had to wear knickers with panty liners to keep the house clean. Xoxo

Hope you don't mind me posting here, am not a professional anything salon-wise but do work with a dog rescue charity (we do lurchers, and the odd greyhound comes through) so have experience there!

One of our supporters came up with a brilliant idea, which I have just been unsuccessfully searching for a photograph of for the last half-hour! Anyhoo, she makes a tube of polar fleece, not too tight and long enough to cover the whole leg from 'ankle' to chest level, with long ties at the top. You pull the tube of fleece onto the leg like a sleeve, bring the ties up round the dog's chest (one tie between the legs, the other round the outside, if you follow me) and tie on top of his or her back, or for real escapologists, loop to the collar.

Think like a stocking, with suspenders attached.

You could also use something like an old sweatshirt sleeve or the sleeve off a heavyweight tee-shirt. You just need something soft and comfy but with enough "oomph" that the dog won't nibble or scratch through at the injury beneath.

It works really well, is washable, and is a lot less stressful for the dog (and owner!) than the Collar of Shame.

Hope you don't mind me posting here, am not a professional anything salon-wise but do work with a dog rescue charity (we do lurchers, and the odd greyhound comes through) so have experience there!

One of our supporters came up with a brilliant idea, which I have just been unsuccessfully searching for a photograph of for the last half-hour! Anyhoo, she makes a tube of polar fleece, not too tight and long enough to cover the whole leg from 'ankle' to chest level, with long ties at the top. You pull the tube of fleece onto the leg like a sleeve, bring the ties up round the dog's chest (one tie between the legs, the other round the outside, if you follow me) and tie on top of his or her back, or for real escapologists, loop to the collar.

Think like a stocking, with suspenders attached.

You could also use something like an old sweatshirt sleeve or the sleeve off a heavyweight tee-shirt. You just need something soft and comfy but with enough "oomph" that the dog won't nibble or scratch through at the injury beneath.

It works really well, is washable, and is a lot less stressful for the dog (and owner!) than the Collar of Shame.

Like a sock with ribbon attached to tie it on the back? Great idea, should try
Taking it to dragons den, sounds like a money saver for vets too xoxo

Aha! FINALLY. A pic:

P1070573.jpg

Sorry if it's too huge, but hope it gives the idea.

I might have to try that, got up this morning and she's pulled her sock off.
The problem I'm having is that even with a covering on it, she's still managing to lick like mad and soaking it, when it's meant to be drying out. Daft dog

That looks amazing!!

haha! thats so cool! i might try that, we just adopted a golden retriever and she just bites herself constantly, it's a stress thing, and if you tell her to stop or pull her away she'll run and grab a toy and rip that to shreds. anyone know of any crazy dog proof toys? we've tried rubber dog toys and people teddies but they all end up in shreds within seconds!

Ooh I love it.

Here's my baby dressed and ready for the day xoxo

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353938504.964320.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353938504.964320.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 59
Ooh I love it.

Here's my baby dressed and ready for the day xoxo

hahahaha!!! i dressed my dogs up once but she pulled it off and nibbled the sequins off....

hahahaha!!! i dressed my dogs up once but she pulled it off and nibbled the sequins off....

He loves it, get a tshirt of his out and he runs around like a lunatic for about a minute then sits by my feet with his head up so I can put it on then lifts one paw at a time. I can see why some day its mean if they don't like it, but his reactions show he loves dress up.
When I dressed him as a devil for Halloween a few years back he walked super careful to keep the horns on and looked so proud :) xoxo

He loves it, get a tshirt of his out and he runs around like a lunatic for about a minute then sits by my feet with his head up so I can put it on then lifts one paw at a time. I can see why some day its mean if they don't like it, but his reactions show he loves dress up.
When I dressed him as a devil for Halloween a few years back he walked super careful to keep the horns on and looked so proud :) xoxo

awwwwwww i wish my dogs were like that, since the sequin incident i've only ever tried fairy wings and she looked really grumpy, and actually i wrapped tinsel round her at christmas but her sister grabbed the end and pulled and nearly strangled her :lol:

Hi, how's he doing?

She's ok, we had to muzzle her because the wound was starting to get really soggy and manky. Its getting better now she is leaving it and she had her stitches out yesterday. Another appopintment on Friday and I'm hoping that will be the last one

Latest posts

Back