Doggy problems - please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly6410

Reaction score
hey geeks

i have two golden retrievers, they are sisters and 10 years old, we've had them since they were puppies. One of them has always been abit 'special' and we've always joked she's got mental issues.

The last week she has started not sleeping at night, she's a nightmare, no one in the house is getting any sleep, she jumps up and down off the bed, she paws at you, pants constantly, scratches you, nuzzles her head into your throat until you wake up, leans over you staring at you (this really creeps me out), rolls on top of you, the list goes on, a firm no just upsets her even more and she goes into the next room and starts on another person, we have also tried blocking places off in the house that might be scaring her, sun room incase she can see foxes outside, utility room because of the noises, but them she just sits and crys in the kitchen, and she has never been a crying dog. Does anyone have any ideas of what we can try? any kind of calming tablets for dogs? sleeping tablets? shes going to the vets today but they always just laugh at our stories about her and i'd rather have a recommendation from a geek of something they have tried themselves.

Thank you in advance :hug:

Sorry to hear this I know what a nightmare it can be when everybody is tired! I am absolutely of no use to you as I've only owned my first dog for 8months and she is a spoilt brat who runs rings round me!

I'm sure a helpful doggie geek will be along soon x

I took my golden retriever to the vet after 2 weeks of this. He was 11 and panting/fussing nonstop. I was told it was pain from arthritis making him pant. Don't leave the vet without an answer & make sure they understand it's a real problem not just her being daft xxx

You can get rescue remedy for dogs apparently my mother in law uses it every November as her dog is petrified of fireworks and it seems to help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Sorry to hear this I know what a nightmare it can be when everybody is tired! I am absolutely of no use to you as I've only owned my first dog for 8months and she is a spoilt brat who runs rings round me!

I'm sure a helpful doggie geek will be along soon x

thank you, our two are really spoilt :lol: i think it's the best way to be x

I took my golden retriever to the vet after 2 weeks of this. He was 11 and panting/fussing nonstop. I was told it was pain from arthritis making him pant. Don't leave the vet without an answer & make sure they understand it's a real problem not just her being daft xxx

she's on previcox for arthritis (is that how you spell it?) and she does limp quite badly and get stiff, we're thinking of putting her on cartrafin (oh dear not sure how you spell that either) aswell because her sister is on it for her deformed hip. it does make sense because i suppose with humans they struggle in the night more than in the day. thank you :)

You can get rescue remedy for dogs apparently my mother in law uses it every November as her dog is petrified of fireworks and it seems to help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

it's strange because only one of ours is affraid of fireworks, we tried the spray that you can get that is supposed to calm them down because it smells like their mother (apparently) well it didn't work, don't ever buy it! :lol: i'll have a look for doggy rescue remedy. thank you :)

I would ask the vet for a bit of advice tbh but I would also be inclined to block your stairs off (if the bedrooms are upstairs) or keep the bedroom doors closed That way she can still wonder about if she is unable to get to sleep due to discomfort but wont be able to keep the whole house awake. Good luck x

Last edited:
thanks everyone for advice and support :D we took her to the vets and he's done loads of tests on her, she's also got to go back tomorrow for the day... A WHOLE DAY!!! she is not going to be a happy puppy, the last time she was left with anyone other than my mum, dad, sister or myself was when she was done as a puppy. really not looking forward to it but fingers crossed they find out whats wrong x

I haven't got any advice to offer but wish you (and her) good luck - do let us know how you get on xx

Defenitley sounds like she is in pain, my boy does the same, pants, fusses and leans onto or into you all the time, becomes very clingy. I would get her to the vets as soon as you can, it might be arthritis, it might be something else, even tummy ache causes them to act this way.

Hope she's helped soon. Could it be older age separation anxiety? My dog sleeps in my bed and if I'm not there for the night he's always unsettled and keeps his babysitter awake. A nice cheese and grilled bacon sandwich hand fed to him helps him big time xoxo

hey geeks! thank you so much for your replies. She's just got home, the vet has said she's got the start of kidney failure, she's been on a drip all day draining the toxins out and now she's on special food and has been taken off prevacox (however that drugs spelt :lol:) and also not going on cartrafin (again not sure how thats spelt) for now. they think she may also have something wrong with her chest but are not going to do tests for now. Just glad she's alive and kicking :D

Last edited:
Awww um so sorry to hear about ur puppy :( give her lots of love and hugs!

hey geeks! thank you so much for your replies. She's just got home, the vet has said she's got the start of kidney failure, she's been on a drip all day draining the toxins out and now she's on special food and has been taken off prevacox (however that drugs spelt :lol:) and also not going on cartrafin (again not sure how thats spelt) for now. they think she may also have something wrong with her chest but are not going to do tests for now. Just glad she's alive and kicking :D

Aw bless her, sending her lots of healing vibes (and hugs to both of you) xxx

How is your furbaby today? Hope she is doing well on the medication and not so uncomfy anymore

:( sorry to hear that x sending you lots of love x

thank you everyone :D she's turning into a real little old lady quite quickly, she's limping quite badly which she has done for some time now, and she's soooo slow! her sister who is the same age will run out of the gate to the fields when it's walk time, but she just woddles along behind, stopping and having a look round, then woddles on. it's really sad but it happens to everyone. She also started playing up again last night with her waking everyone up, we don't really know what to do for the best, the vet said he can do more tests on her chest and so on, but my dad said she's 10 and she can't go through that much stress again and even if they do find anything wrong with her they can't operate and will just say to keep up the pain killers. it was quite funny when she got home from the vets after being there for the whole day, she ignored my dad and refused to go out the house with him because he was the one that took her! haha x

Latest posts

Back