Dogs Dinner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay, finally got them to eat it after I chopped it up into smaller bits (like a scene from Sweeney Todd but there you go!)

Just browsing through I feed my chihuahua royal canin chihuahua biscuits & cooked chicken not raw as a treat. I thought that I was giving her one of the best available dry foods?
Am I right in thinking I should completely change her diet?

I have the information available directly form a vet so it is up to you geeks to ask for it or not ( see one of my earlier replys)

Just browsing through I feed my chihuahua royal canin chihuahua biscuits & cooked chicken not raw as a treat. I thought that I was giving her one of the best available dry foods?
Am I right in thinking I should completely change her diet?

Josie, I done exactly as you. Royal Canin. It wasn't difficult to find out enough information to realise I wasn't on the right track for my dog. BARF (raw diet consisting of raw meaty bones, fruit, vegetables and animal organs such as liver, kidneys or heart) definitely best option for dogs but not possible for me. I chose Lilys Kitchen (ideal low protein & fat for schnauzers) look into what is recommended for chihuahuas in terms of protein and fat and take it from there.

Good Luck

P x

Does anyone have any idea what I should be feeding my male beagle. He is neutered and prone to putting on weight since. I'm feeding him royal canin but he constantly seems starving! I have no idea what to feed him now after reading this thread, I was following the advice of my vet but it seems this might not be best?

Just having a quick scan through here, my mums dog (patterdale jack Russell x) eats orijen and she's very healthy but not sure if that's just
Cos she's a hardy little mutt :) I'm loving how well people treat their pooches, very cute :)

If your dog is happy and healthy then it's obviously getting the right diet whatever it may be, I have always supplemented my dogs food with oily fish a couple of times a week and sometimes garlic capsules and cod liver oil caps. If a dog was still n the wild they would eat meat and generally scavenge so they're not that fussy if they're hungry. I think as long as you take into consideration any breed history and the problems you could prevent in older age, you can save alot of future vet bills or heartache as your dog gets older. Some dogs can pretty much eat anything and live to an old and pretty healthy age, I've always had healthy dogs (rough collie, lab, yorkie) that were always fed on normal supermarket tinned food and biscuits. It's only now I've had shar peis, that I've had to really assess their diet due to the breeds proneness to skin problems. If you can afford to shop around for food with as little additives and 'fillers' then why not? Having tried different types always eliminating a certain ingredient to see if it can improve their skin I am hoping this BARF diet will work as it is the most natural.

Josie, I done exactly as you. Royal Canin. It wasn't difficult to find out enough information to realise I wasn't on the right track for my dog. BARF (raw diet consisting of raw meaty bones, fruit, vegetables and animal organs such as liver, kidneys or heart) definitely best option for dogs but not possible for me. I chose Lilys Kitchen (ideal low protein & fat for schnauzers) look into what is recommended for chihuahuas in terms of protein and fat and take it from there.

Good Luck

P x

Thanks for your helpful reply I've spent the last 24 hours in my spare time reading and I'm disgusted at the amount of 'fillers' RC has, I actually have a bag of James well beloved in the kitchen which was bought by my other half as it was cheaper and I didn't even entertain it. If I'm right my girl needs a higher protein from my research which is funny as my vet recommended RC & a small amount of chicken (50p size) as protein is bad!!
I'm going into the vets in a few weeks for her annual so I will be wiping the floor with him so to speak as I chose a higher priced vet which I could do without to make sure I was doing everything right & she is healthy. The more I've looked into it the more I realise I've made mistakes, Lexi has dry skin which I now know I can change & she has always been just under borderline overweight.
I have also learnt that dentastix are really fattening and Lexi eats at least 7 a week. She eats orange and banana courtesy of the two year old all the time too :)

Lots of diet changes for her I think, its actually cheap enough to make up some meat, rice & veg and I think I'll try the JWB as its in the kitchen.I will go down to the market for some bones. Anyone know what bones are suitable?
Good bye to over priced badly advertised & recommended Royal Canin!
Thank god I read this now to convince the mother in law to stop feeding her two chi's, Persian cat, rescued stray & dogue de bordeux RC! She will save money too. I'm actually reallllllyyy annoyed that I have been feeding her crap :(

Last edited:
Well, quick update, I've been using the barf for about two weeks now, dogs love it now after some initial reluctance. Poops much less but my two dogs are still scratching and even tho the ones fur is looking better, the other one is pretty similar to before the change (so still red and scratching lots). Bit gutted as i was hoping it would clear the skin problems, but I will keep them on it.

Well, quick update, I've been using the barf for about two weeks now, dogs love it now after some initial reluctance. Poops much less but my two dogs are still scratching and even tho the ones fur is looking better, the other one is pretty similar to before the change (so still red and scratching lots). Bit gutted as i was hoping it would clear the skin problems, but I will keep them on it.

If that fails, on my latest vet visit I was told to try Wafcol salmon for sensitive dogs. My dog doesnt really like it but hes doing quite well on it. My vets do that science plan but she said Wafcol is the same just easier to get and abit cheaper (£6.99 per small bag). And I got it at pets at home..

I've tried that one but thanks for the suggestion :) hopefully his skin will clear up after a bit longer on the new food (although it does flare up in summer) I think he's also allergic to the grass as he doesn't like walking on it and two of them lick their paws for ages after they've been out in the garden.

This is wonderful that you managed to start the BARF diet. Don't be so concerned just just yet it will take at least 30 days for you to see some changes.

Just a thought, after reading the thread about the grit salt in winter and the need to wash your dogs paws after each walk ...... I wonder if its worth while dipping your dogs paws into a wee bowl of fresh water after each walk? Would that be possible? X

P x

If that fails, on my latest vet visit I was told to try Wafcol salmon for sensitive dogs. My dog doesnt really like it but hes doing quite well on it. My vets do that science plan but she said Wafcol is the same just easier to get and abit cheaper (£6.99 per small bag). And I got it at pets at home..

Hi Penny Vintage, I'm not sure if you've managed to read this whole thread. There is lots of helpful suggested reading concerning the kind of food our pets eat , ESP those like science plan, royal Canin etc etc

Happy Reading x

This is wonderful that you managed to start the BARF diet. Don't be so concerned just just yet it will take at least 30 days for you to see some changes.

Just a thought, after reading the thread about the grit salt in winter and the need to wash your dogs paws after each walk ...... I wonder if its worth while dipping your dogs paws into a wee bowl of fresh water after each walk? Would that be possible? X

P x

Yeah I could do but I'm talking about everytime they go out in the garden, they're fine when they come back from walks as its mainly pavements. I would need to chase the two of them around with a bowl as they're not the types to let me dip their feet then patiently let me dry them :( I'm sticking with the new diet so hopefully see an improvement. I definitely think its our grass too (semi rural, with rabbits, foxes, horses, etc) as they cleared up when they stayed at my parents for a week (don't think I can justify a house move tho)

Ok guys a quick update. I stuck with the barf diet (chicken and bones minced up) since the last time I posted. Dogs still had really bad skin, scabs, rupturing skin breakouts, constant scratching, hair loss. Since Friday I decided to try them on a fish and veg diet (not dried, prepared at home from scratch) and their skin has improved rapidly. They no longer scratch, their scabs are healing up nicely as they are no longer irritated and they do not smell like they used to. I can finally see a healthy future for my dogs :). I know the barf works for alot of dogs but mine weren't improving (I believe chicken and certain meats and fish are a known allergen in some dogs)

Ok guys a quick update. I stuck with the barf diet (chicken and bones minced up) since the last time I posted. Dogs still had really bad skin, scabs, rupturing skin breakouts, constant scratching, hair loss. Since Friday I decided to try them on a fish and veg diet (not dried, prepared at home from scratch) and their skin has improved rapidly. They no longer scratch, their scabs are healing up nicely as they are no longer irritated and they do not smell like they used to. I can finally see a healthy future for my dogs :). I know the barf works for alot of dogs but mine weren't improving (I believe chicken and certain meats and fish are a known allergen in some dogs)

Im sorry their diet didnt work, its alot of work for something that doesnt work but you tried. Im not saying my vet knows it all, far from it to be honest but she told me chicken, rice and some veg arent good and arent hypoallergenic. She said to stick to lamb and salmon hypo foods. I think with some dogs its down to the individual what works, my dog reacted from fish but is fine with lamb..
Also Ive noticed when my dog comes back from visiting my nans he scratches like mad, i think its the fact she has the heating on and has her house generally hotter..

I did a load of research into dog food as i have a dalmatian and a rhodesian ridgeback - so many foods have fillers, its shocking.

In the end i opted for a part Raw diet (raw meat in the evening mixed with dry) and the dry i give them is Taste of the Wild (grain free food). Since changing, they dont stink (thank god!) and their coats are so shiny and soft.

Some of the (what are considred to be) better brands of dry food are actually full of fillers.

Ive just had a Chihuahua and am feeling it Wainwrights. I went around Pets at Home and looked which ones had more actually meat in them and it was on offer at £33 for 15kg. Oscar seems to love it!
Oh and if we have beef or lamb dinner I also cut a small chunk before I cook it and mix this in his dry food too x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I've just got a whippet pup he's on wainwrights according to the staff at pets at home it has no cheap fillers etc what do u guys think ?

I've just got a whippet pup he's on wainwrights according to the staff at pets at home it has no cheap fillers etc what do u guys think ?

I would personally say thats a middle of the road quality, about 40% rice content iirc. Not bad at all.

I feed my 3/4 Pug 1/4 Beagle Burns dog food... They do chicken and rice one. She's having the sensitive one right now. Any other food she has goes right through her and she stinks! This seems to work for her... Watch you all tell me this is bad?!

Latest posts

Back