Dogs Dinner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there's any good or bad as they are dogs and in the wild they take what they can get, but as they have been bred certain dogs develop allergies the same as humans. Some people can live off rubbish and look pretty healthy and some can develop allergies or intolerance to certain foods (not taking into account long term effects) My other dog can eat anything and show no signs of anything yet the other two only need to eat a biscuit and they start scratching. If you're dog is happy and healthy on their food, stick to it, providing they are still getting the right nutrients to ensure a long term healthy outlook.

I don't think there's any good or bad as they are dogs and in the wild they take what they can get, but as they have been bred certain dogs develop allergies the same as humans. Some people can live off rubbish and look pretty healthy and some can develop allergies or intolerance to certain foods (not taking into account long term effects) My other dog can eat anything and show no signs of anything yet the other two only need to eat a biscuit and they start scratching. If you're dog is happy and healthy on their food, stick to it, providing they are still getting the right nutrients to ensure a long term healthy outlook.

Think this is sensible advice I suppose only your dog can tell you whether their good is doing them any favours :)

There are some really really bad dog foods out there. Mentioned earlier on in the thread.

I have thee dogs a cavalier King Charles (12), a golden retriever (4) and a collie (5). I have been thinking about changing their diets recently especially the cavalier and retriever. They both have bad ears and the cavalier has bad gums and teeth, their anal glands are also always full. I took them into my vets for a check up and vaccinations and the vet said I should get the retriever allergy tested.

I feed them James wellbeloved with bran and a taste of meat twice a day with some cooked veg and meat in also. I am looking into the nutriment raw food diet but when I mentioned putting my cavalier onto it she said " don't do she will get renal failure and die!" So I have freaked out when I asked what she should be eating she said royal cannin. I know they sell it, I once had my cavalier on it and she got so fat and that's not good as she has a mild heart murmur.

What's everyone's advice please. I've looked at whichdogfood.com and they recommend Eden or nutriment!

Every dog is different. But I started my puppy on Eden; her anal glands kept getting full and she got really constipated it was awful. Anyway she can only have food now with 10% meat or less. So is on Royal Canin Gastro-Intestinal. I tried her on James Wellbeloved but unfortunately the same thing happened as with the Eden.

Maybe it's the meat that affects your dogs as well? You could always try them on the Vets recommendation and see how they go.

After lots of research when I had my pup I believe the best diet is raw fed. But it needs alot of research for it to be done right.
Since I don't have the freezer space for all the meat I feed orijen which is one of only a few dog foods which has 80% meat, the rest veg and supplements. No fillers, rice or potato.
Go on whatdogfood.com and search for what your feeding him now and you might be suprised the crap thats in it.
I don't trust dog food that vets sell either, it's been proven that usually, the only education on food that they have is by the brands they chose to stock. It's all about getting their %

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

After lots of research when I had my pup I believe the best diet is raw fed. But it needs alot of research for it to be done right.
Since I don't have the freezer space for all the meat I feed orijen which is one of only a few dog foods which has 80% meat, the rest veg and supplements. No fillers, rice or potato.
Go on whatdogfood.com and search for what your feeding him now and you might be suprised the crap thats in it.
I don't trust dog food that vets sell either, it's been proven that usually, the only education on food that they have is by the brands they chose to stock. It's all about getting their %

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

What do you mean by being done right? This is what the vet said if it's not done right she will get renal failure.

I'm not keen on royal cannin, that's the only food she recommended she said anything else is rubbish? Funny that's what they sell, when I asked about the renal failure comment she couldn't answer it.

To be honest I have been let down by vets so many times I don't believe everything they say. The girl that grooms my dogs uses nutriment and has recommended it.

My dogs are my babies and I want to feed them the best but I'm so confused :sad:

When I say done right I mean you can't just feed raw chicken.
They have to have 80% meat 10% offal (the worst bit lol) 10% bone (chicken wings, carcasses etc)
Unsure on the barf diet, but I think basically its the above plus cooked veggies.
Then again, allot of companies offer pre made raw minces with everything in them that get delivered frozen, so you don't have to worry.
I can recommend wolf tucker for this, I found them the cheapest but then again its whether you have the freezer space.

I know what you mean about vets, so hard to trust them and find a good one. I recently left mine when I asked if they can do tests to see which boosters Oscar actually needs, so they don't over vaccinate. She didn't have a clue what I was talking about, they just expect you to pay every year without question. It's all about making money ... But that's a whole different topic :D

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Ah thanks, I was just going to go for the complete meal I don't have time or the stomach to prepare it myself :sad:.

I think I will try nutriment and see how I get on, I have plenty freezer space and can buy locally so I don't need to store lots of it.

I fell out with my last vet and now have a new one for my horses. I get a worm sampler test now and I have never had to worm one of my horses in the last few years. I hate to think how much I have spent on warmers over the years :sad:

I didn't know you could do the same for boosters!!

Latest posts

Back