Dogs Dinner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulineM-Mobile

Reaction score
Given all the chat surrounding the FSA and what is actually in our mince. I've decided to do the same with my wee pooch.

After many weeks of trawling through the research and varying opinions for lots of folk. I've decided to got for Lily's Kitchen, they are low in fat, lower in protein than most and are completely free from all the nasties that seem to be in 97% of the dog food brands.

So has anyone came to conclusion for themselves? Does anyone need to be careful due to a doggy health problem caused by what the eat?

I feared that if I stuck to my usual brand (Royal Canin) I would one day be heading to the vet with my wee buddy having an acute bout of pancreatitis. Nasty!

Would love to hear all you views

P x

I think the dog eats better than us,she has Orijen supposed to be very good and based on what dogs should eat high meat content but also veg and not many fillers etc but you never know.I would love to do barf but it seems very complicated to get right and I would worry she wasn't getting all she needs especially as labs can get hip problems as they get old.

Oh Gillian aye, I would have loved to do BARF but don't have the kitchen facilities (mainly freezer capacity) to do so. Orijen ticked all the boxes and looked very good, but for the Schnauzer it contained just a little too much protein.

P x

I feed my springer barking heads gentle tummy food it's fantastic everyone always comments on how healthy she is. It's over 50% protein derived from chicken and salmon and made quite locally to me. I found it to be the most nutritionally sound without costing the earth x

I changed fom royal canin because she was getting a bit of a porker but always hungry I only had to open the dishwasher and she was there like a shot licking the plates,she would constantly try and steal food she even had the butter out the butter dish.
Shes much better on Orijen, even though she has less, so even though its a bit more expensive than royal canin it lasts longer so works out about the same.

I looked into BARF when my Alfie, Dogue De Bordeaux, was a puppy but didnt go ahead with it as I was overwhelmed by it - feeding out of a bag or tin is easier :(. Sadly he passed away in October last year from cancer in his stomach at 3 years old, but as/when we get another I will be definitely going down the BARF root.

There a huge amount of preservatives that goes into dry dog food & there is also a huge increase of cancer in dogs fed cheap food/meats (as in humans too). We try to eat as healthy as we can as a family so I will do the same for my next addition too :)

My babies eat rice chicken and veg :) they love it. They bounced of the wall before we changed their diet, literally! Their fur is so much thicker. Sophie's had a bald spot on her nose since we got her (we have to put sun cream on her in summer) and it went after a few weeks and she has hair on her belly now too. Hardly any poop as they're absorbing all the nutrients instead of pooping out all the filler (like ash!!) it's not even that hard work just make in bulk but oh my god!!! Never go back. Is this similar to barf? Oh and they have a splash of cod liver oil (I think) once a day :) some sort of oil anyway.... Xxx they're jack russells just to point out... In case anyone wants to know :) xx

I feed my bull mastiff barking heads little big foot.Fantastic food he's very healthy on it nice soft coat fills him up less poos so he's not pooing out all the good like the brand we were given when we got him as a pup.It workes out really expensive for us because he eats a lot but worth the money x

I feed my dog fish and biscuits! Ha. Salmon is his favorite.. he has a sensitive tummy so we give him Bionic Biotic powder everyday with no problems.

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Given all the chat surrounding the FSA and what is actually in our mince. I've decided to do the same with my wee pooch.

After many weeks of trawling through the research and varying opinions for lots of folk. I've decided to got for Lily's Kitchen, they are low in fat, lower in protein than most and are completely free from all the nasties that seem to be in 97% of the dog food brands.

So has anyone came to conclusion for themselves? Does anyone need to be careful due to a doggy health problem caused by what the eat?

I feared that if I stuck to my usual brand (Royal Canin) I would one day be heading to the vet with my wee buddy having an acute bout of pancreatitis. Nasty!

Would love to hear all you views

P x

Sorry I have no views but I feed my dog royal canin, the one for neutered dogs because since being neutered he has the tendency to put on weight. My vet advised I use royal canin, should I maybe use something else? Reading through this thread he does poo alot!

My boxer has auturky, Japanese brand for dogs that are wheat and gluten intolerant, every Sunday she has a roast dinner! Every morning cod liver oil tablets with her brekky, she also loves a Guinness on her biscuits every so often x

We have superdog, royal canine or James well beloved. My westie is riddled with allergies and I fear he may have been from a dog farm (I got him from battersea at 3yrs old). So he has always had bad skin problems, but now he's 11 he's got a no tolerance for nearly all food. One big crumb and were down the vets days later with eye and ear infections, bad stomach and itchy skin. Nightmare! Very common in many westies too. To top it off he's allergic to steroids so treatment is months long rather than a injection or a week Max of pills.
I'm still struggling to find the right food but it has to be completely hypoallergenic and only salmon or lamb. Its costing quite abit!

Blue buffalo , it took along time to find something they would both eat , fussy dogs!
They love this stuff and its given them soft shinny coats so can't be to bad,

My dad had a German shep , very healthy for 18 years , when we did have to say good bye even the vet couldn't believe how old he was , as he looked half his age , he was fed his whole life on meat from the butchers that my dad would cook up for him , it did him a lot of good .

I have some very informative reports on Dog Foods, Dog Food recalls and also nutritional requirements, recipes etc. If any one is interested, PM me. I cant post on here as I would be breaking copyright, but it is very interesting and also sickening when you know what actually goes in to the dried and canned foods. Chicken or meat byproducts? Yuck.
Pulps, Bone meal, chemicals etc. If fresh and pure might be great but they are almosr NEVER fresh, mostly the green rotting swill in the bottom of the slaughterhouse pits sold off to dog food manufacturers to add "Flavour and protein"

Home cooked is the best or Raw meaty bones, both quite expensive if you have large dogs but it has been proven for dogs to live much much longer and healthier lives.

I urge you to make a change if you can, I know a lot of vets recommend feeds and I am sure they are trying to help but a lot of them also recommend feeds because the reps from the feed companies offer really good incentives for them to to just that. Dont trust anyone but yourself, If you would not be happy feeding your children sub standard food why feed your pets sub standard. They rely on us 100% for their health and well being. We owe them the best we can afford or do for them.

My babies eat rice chicken and veg :) they love it. They bounced of the wall before we changed their diet, literally! Their fur is so much thicker. Sophie's had a bald spot on her nose since we got her (we have to put sun cream on her in summer) and it went after a few weeks and she has hair on her belly now too. Hardly any poop as they're absorbing all the nutrients instead of pooping out all the filler (like ash!!) it's not even that hard work just make in bulk but oh my god!!! Never go back. Is this similar to barf? Oh and they have a splash of cod liver oil (I think) once a day :) some sort of oil anyway.... Xxx they're jack russells just to point out... In case anyone wants to know :) xx

We adopted a dog back in october last year and her diet was rice chicken and veg because she had a ''super sensitive stomach'' and she wasn't allowed anything else. When we took her to our vets they said that was an awful diet for a dog, that she wasn't getting any of the nutrients she needed (apparently she's going to have alot of problems with her bones in the future, she already walks like a massive geek) and demanded we put her back on normal dog food, we were actually recommended chappy. We were a little scared at first because shes nearly 9 years old and it would be a massive change for her, but we swapped her over gradually and she's perfect now, she's put on weight, her fur has grown alot, she's stopped itching and biting herself. Obviously if it works for you then that is great and i know every vet has a different opinion because a vet told the old owners to put her on chicken rice and veg but just thought i'd share what our vet said :)

We adopted a dog back in october last year and her diet was rice chicken and veg because she had a ''super sensitive stomach'' and she wasn't allowed anything else. When we took her to our vets they said that was an awful diet for a dog, that she wasn't getting any of the nutrients she needed (apparently she's going to have alot of problems with her bones in the future, she already walks like a massive geek) and demanded we put her back on normal dog food, we were actually recommended chappy. We were a little scared at first because shes nearly 9 years old and it would be a massive change for her, but we swapped her over gradually and she's perfect now, she's put on weight, her fur has grown alot, she's stopped itching and biting herself. Obviously if it works for you then that is great and i know every vet has a different opinion because a vet told the old owners to put her on chicken rice and veg but just thought i'd share what our vet said :)

Yes they do need extra nutritiononal supplemets added to their food, just rice and chicken with a handfull of veg is not enough, but it is a great basis for a healthy diet, a few additions and it would be the best food they could wish for. A bit of a pain to work out the amounts and percentages but once you have got the hang of it, it becomes quite simple

Yes they do need extra nutritiononal supplemets added to their food, just rice and chicken with a handfull of veg is not enough, but it is a great basis for a healthy diet, a few additions and it would be the best food they could wish for. A bit of a pain to work out the amounts and percentages but once you have got the hang of it, it becomes quite simple

our 3 get veg mixed in with chappys every night, the consequences are vile haha x

How weird lol my dogs were like yours before the diet change and are so calm and chilled now. One of them suffers from separation anxiety and would just stare at my mum and bark non stop until my mum petted her. They seem so happy now. But I do agree about needing the added supplements thats why they get the oil on their food. It may be every meal or just once a day. My mum deals with it so I'm not sure. There was a dog who died a few years ago who lived until he was 27 on a diet of brown rice and veg so it must be doing something right :) thanks for the info though. Sophie's my world and I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to her, especially if it was my fault

X

Oh and they're coats are so shiny now too from the diet change x

Latest posts

Back