Doing my NVQ 2 at 40, is it too old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
Hello geeks.
Not sure if I am having a mid life crisis, or just discovered what I actually want to do "when I grow up":biggrin: but in the last couple years I have discovered a real passion for beauty and hair and not only that I have wanted to develop it and learn all I can about it. I really want to learn about hair and everything to do with hair and since I went to college to my manicure pedicure course, I have decided that I want to my nvq level 2 in hairdressing (ladies).

but I am wondering with so much to learn, am I going to be ready to retire before I actually get the hang of it. I have been looking at the threads on hair colour and it is an absolute mine field (or seems to be), I wonder if I will ever understand it.

I cant wait to get my teeth into it and hopefull will start in September. Its one day a week at college and I already work 2 days a week in a salon doing my beauty but I also wash clients hair, wash colour off, wash neutraliser off etc. When I was 16 I worked as a Saturday girl in a hairdressers, I just wish I had persued it then.

I have just done a hair extension course and I loved that but I just hope I havent left it too late.

Do it ! 40 isn't that old , good luck and enjoy it x

Simple answer: no.

In my Cosmetology class in America, we had students in their 40s - older than the teachers. It does not matter. All that matters is you have the desire to learn and the passion for hair.

You don't have to retire when the government say you have to. You could go around doing mobile hairdressing until you're ninety if you really wanted to (assuming insurance has no upper age limit, but that's another topic).

Good luck.

Go for it. I'm nearly 38 & am about 7 weeks away from getting my level 2 NVQ in hairdressing. I did my level 1 & 2 in Afro hair back in 2005/2007. I really wanted to cover both sides so have been full time in college since September. I am going to go mobile I think.

Go for it. I'm nearly 38 & am about 7 weeks away from getting my level 2 NVQ in hairdressing. I did my level 1 & 2 in Afro hair back in 2005/2007. I really wanted to cover both sides so have been full time in college since September. I am going to go mobile I think.

I'm glad I trained in the USA. We learned both Afro and European hair all in one 1500 hour course. I'm useless at cornrows, but I like doing relaxers, soft curl perms...the technical side of Afro hair.

Im just worried that it will take me so long before I can cut hair. Will I really be able to do hairstyles after just one year of cutting? Ho long before I am a competent hairdresser who can cut and colour

Im just worried that it will take me so long before I can cut hair. Will I really be able to do hairstyles after just one year of cutting? Ho long before I am a competent hairdresser who can cut and colour

Oh, you'll be surprised. You'll be working on clients after a couple of months, and your confidence will grow and grow from there. The only limitations are those you place on yourself. One tip with haircuts is that most haircuts are just a combination of the four basic ones you will learn.

Colour will take time to master, but once you have the basics down, it will start to come together. A lot of it will come when you're out in the real world, but since you're already in a salon, you can begin to see what's going on. Ask the stylists what formulae they're using and why. Be eager to learn and ask all you can - there are no dumb questions.

And there's always this forum if you get stuck.

As an older entrant to be profession, I'd advise spending any spare time online watching hairdressing videos on scissorboy.com, myhairdressers.com etc. This will help you to understand and absord different techniques.

Enjoy!

Hello geeks.
Not sure if I am having a mid life crisis, or just discovered what I actually want to do "when I grow up":biggrin: but in the last couple years I have discovered a real passion for beauty and hair and not only that I have wanted to develop it and learn all I can about it. I really want to learn about hair and everything to do with hair and since I went to college to my manicure pedicure course, I have decided that I want to my nvq level 2 in hairdressing (ladies).

but I am wondering with so much to learn, am I going to be ready to retire before I actually get the hang of it. I have been looking at the threads on hair colour and it is an absolute mine field (or seems to be), I wonder if I will ever understand it.

I cant wait to get my teeth into it and hopefull will start in September. Its one day a week at college and I already work 2 days a week in a salon doing my beauty but I also wash clients hair, wash colour off, wash neutraliser off etc. When I was 16 I worked as a Saturday girl in a hairdressers, I just wish I had persued it then.

I have just done a hair extension course and I loved that but I just hope I havent left it too late.

I'm 51 years old have been fitting hair extensions for ten years and have my own studio, I qualify in level 2 hairdressing in 9 weeks so no your not too old at all. I am so glad I did it and so will you. Mine is a full time course and its been hard work working full time and going to college but its a year I will look back on and think jeez I am so glad I did it.

Your never to old to learn, I'm presently in a Great Lengths training course and I'm loving it.

Go for it

Don't leave it, then get to 50 saying 'am I too old?' Do it now, and enjoy every minute of it x

You are never too old to learn something new! We have taught ladies in their 50s and 60s NVQ hairdressing they loved it and completed no problem!
Good luck x

This might sound cliched but from what youre saying op, i reckon it would be better to do the course and then drcide if you can get the hang of it before worrying that you cant do it before youve even given yourself a chance.

Better to do it than regret not doing it basically :)

I'm glad I trained in the USA. We learned both Afro and European hair all in one 1500 hour course. I'm useless at cornrows, but I like doing relaxers, soft curl perms...the technical side of Afro hair.
. Cornrow is like second nature to me. I have been plaiting hair for 18 yrs now & have had 6 mixed race children so I had no choice really but to learn. I do love Afro hairdressing & I actually find it easier than European hair as it's more relaxers & perms. Not as much cutting & colouring. But I'm so glad I went back to college to learn European now I can do both hair types. I think I might look into some hair extension courses. I already do weave, cornrow & single plait extensions. So extensions for European hair is one I would like to learn.

Never too old!! Good luck!!!! I found I took more time to learn and enjoyed it more xxx

. Cornrow is like second nature to me. I have been plaiting hair for 18 yrs now & have had 6 mixed race children so I had no choice really but to learn. I do love Afro hairdressing & I actually find it easier than European hair as it's more relaxers & perms. Not as much cutting & colouring. But I'm so glad I went back to college to learn European now I can do both hair types. I think I might look into some hair extension courses. I already do weave, cornrow & single plait extensions. So extensions for European hair is one I would like to learn.

CORNROW QUEEN!!!! I can verify!! X

Never too old!! Good luck!!!! I found I took more time to learn and enjoyed it more xxx

& you also make amazing friends while doing something that you love ;-) ;-) Delly81

I'm 52 and due to start hairdressing in September!! I am qualified in beauty therapy and makeup but thought it would enhance my business so if you're too old what will I be?? Lol!

thanks for all your replies. What I am worried about is how on earth am I going to be able to learn all these techniques, its gonna take years. I just want to get my teeth into it and cant wait to start. I'm already thinking of a business plan lol. Prepare for lots more hair orientated silly questions :D

Latest posts

Back