Doing weddings at unsociable hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all got distracted from the question! Yes I would definitely charge extra for starting so early, I would be thinking you would have to start at 5/6 am so it's definitely justified to have an extra fee!

Amanda xx

i dont want to sound horrible etc but just my personal opinion. When u take on a job as a wedding hair and makeup artist you expect to start very early part and parcel of the job if u ask me.iv been known to be up at 4.30am for a wedding. Im more concerned about my reputation than what tym I have to be up.As most of my brides become potential long standing clients. Thats how I have got the clientelle I have today.Also just think you will be done by 9am rest of the day free for urself. People do this 5days aweek like my dad 5am -2pm everyday. Either ask for her to pay for a hotel or charge extra to be honest it is only a one off. Just make sure u explain to her mother who sounds stupid if she wants everything to be perfect for her daughter it will take tym.
:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Maybe the 8.30 ready time is a preference from the mother of the bride and when you speak to the bride you'll find out she doesn't need to be ready until a bit after this? I can't imagine she's getting married at 9? However I think you should charge extra for your early hour service/ staying over/ travel costs x

I forgot to add on how much extra I would charge- as I said I would add a premium but I would do it per hour. The way I would calculate it is that if I was working before 6am, I would charge time and a half. So my wedding charge is partly calculated on an hourly rate as well as everything else and I would use that to calculate it.

Does that make sense? This is a little high to some but like I said you dont sound too fussed about losing the job and youre also doing a dual role here. I've seen yiur posts and get the impression you're a premium service opposed to a beauty therapist doonf a bit if makeup so I dont think its unreasonable or that she will find a makeup artist AND a hair stylist of the same calibre for the same price.
Ive done weddings for 5 years and done people I really disliked and disapproved of and they thought I was their best mate from the way they praise and recommend me, I'm professional and v good at my job too so I would be offended by that post too.

P.s....I would also give them the option of hiring someone else BUT I would stick to one service so they do hair and I do makeup or vice versa.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

i dont want to sound horrible etc but just my personal opinion. When u take on a job as a wedding hair and makeup artist you expect to start very early part and parcel of the job if u ask me.iv been known to be up at 4.30am for a wedding. Im more concerned about my reputation than what tym I have to be up.As most of my brides become potential long standing clients. Thats how I have got the clientelle I have today.Also just think you will be done by 9am rest of the day free for urself. People do this 5days aweek like my dad 5am -2pm everyday. Either ask for her to pay for a hotel or charge extra to be honest it is only a one off. Just make sure u explain to her mother who sounds stupid if she wants everything to be perfect for her daughter it will take tym.
:)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

You do come across as somewhat patronising and condescending I'm afraid....not horrible tho;-)

Nowhere in my posts have I said I didn't want to do early starts!! So I can't understand why you are bringing this up as an issue???

I've been this job for 14 years and have def grasped that early starts are going to present them selves, and I have done plenty of them and also well I aware of how to build clientele.... Thank you very much

Last edited:
I would have a charge of time and a half or double time on anyone you need to start before 7am.

Thank you to everyone that has taken time to answer my question directly

I think I will be charging time and half for the early start and suggest she gets a separate hairstylist for the day.

She has a 2 hour drive to the wedding venue hence the early start

I would ask for a hotel. And the early start up charge.

I tried to called the bride today and got hold of her mother.

Apparently it was not convenient to talk to her daughter today.

I'm knocking this one the head, as I can't be wasting time on a client that can't call me herself and I can't seem I reason with the mother, so game over.

I'm knocking this one the head, as I can't be wasting time on a client that can't call me herself and I can't seem I reason with the mother, so game over.

Hey, this mother sounds like a nightmare ... Lol .... On a serious note I would wait now for them to call you now ... Or should I say the bride to call you back...!!!... with this much hassle I'd be reluctant to want to take the job tbh ...
And Who books a wedding 2hr drive away and wants to be ready for 830am on your wedding day (Stressinhell) ... Another thing her mothers booked I bet ... Why wouldn't you go closer to the venue the night before and get a local make up & hairdresser local or is that too easy ... Lol ..!!!
<3

I think this is wise. Every wedding I have done where MUM is in charge has been a bloody nightmare, and usually the bride is a lovely but bullied victim with no control over her own wedding.

So to go to your original Q, I would say one of the following:

A. I would love to accommodate you all, I will arrive at 4:30am (I don't do hair so I am guessing here) so there will be an unsociable hour surcharge of £100? in addition to your bill (that's what I would add, I don't do mornings so it would cost to get me up!)

B. Due to time constraints I can only fit in the Bride so you will have to make alternative arrangements for the rest of the bridal party.

C. I need to speak to the bride directly before I can accept the booking.

D. I'm sorry I'm already booked on that date.

With your experience I am sure one of these options has already crossed your mind so I would go with your gut. Personally, before I even confirm if I am available I ask, how many and what time so if I don't like it I can go with option D.

If this wedding is already stressing you out swerve it. I am sure you will get another booking for the same day that will be less hassle.

Sorry if this is not much help but wanted to give it a go!

X

Well I finally heard from the mother and what a condescending email she sent me.

She told me she didn't like it I was booked up in advance to June and didn't like it I offered to work on my day off to do a trial for her daughter in April
so would be booking someone else.

Good riddance

Sounds like you had a lucky escape really! She sounds like a nightmare!!

^^^ agree! I bet she struggles to find someone to take her on! I wouldn't!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I finally heard from the mother and what a condescending email she sent me.

She told me she didn't like it I was booked up in advance to June and didn't like it I offered to work on my day off to do a trial for her daughter in April
so would be booking someone else.

Good riddance

Have read through and agree this is a lucky escape. For what it's worth depending on how far away it is I would have asked for a hotel room and surcharge for the early start relevant to your pricing system. if not far then just an extra charge for the early start. There is no way you could do 3 people in 1 hr, not for bridal, it's obvious.
Glad for you that this worked out this way, no doubt she will get someone far less experienced prepared to allow her to take the P.

I replied stating I have tried to call and arrange a a suitable date for a trial yet I was told it was not convenient to do this and that I was not under pressure to fill the date, but want to see if your daughter wanted to I ahead with a trial or not as I get booked up quickly.

I am a popular MUA and hairstylist so get booked up quickly and tried to accommodate her daughter the best I could under the circumstances and that I was not offended by her not booking me.

Tbh I felt like telling her if she wants someone available at anytime get less popular stylist

oh my, what a lovely mother of the bride - not!

Lucky escape for you and I feel sorry for the poor soul who does take the job :eek: xxx

The mother has rude and obstructive since she contacted me last week.

I very much doubt she will get anyone remotely professional for her daughters wedding as pros will not put up with her cr£p.

If I lived away from my wedding venue I would still contact suppliers myself not have my mother do it.

The bride is getting her mother idea of a wedding ... Good luck!

Can't believe her, she's not happy that you get booked up ... lol ... Good luck to her finding someone whose good that isn't booked up ... That one needed to be charged double for the stress ... Lol xxx

Latest posts

Back