Don't know what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8889jenny

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Hope you are ok, I posted last week about being worried about not having enough clients as I am renting a room in a hair salon. The ladies salon is upstairs so passing trade cannot see it. I didn't even know it was there to be honest! They wont let me put up any signs down stairs, as it's a male hair studio so knowone walking passed will really know that I'm there :irked: I have done everything I can I've done leaflet drops tried to speak to clients and get the word around, and I have had 1 customer in the passed two weeks for a file and polish, that was because she was going to a wedding :(

One of the hairdressers came into my room today for a chat, she told me that she thinks that its not going to work out for me because the lady who was there before left because she couldn't gain a client base there as there was not enough passing trade, also no one knew she was there. This came as a shock to me because before I rented the room I asked the owner if the lady who rented the room before did well there and she told me that she had loads of customers from the salon and that she just wanted to go mobile? and alot of customers had made enquiries about nails and waxing! Since I have been there not one soul has made an equiry! I feel like I am being taken for an idiot!

The hairdresser told me today that the owner will tell people anything just to get the money in. I've had quite a bad feeling about this for some time now and I just can't see myself doing very well there :( I know these things take time but I just can't see this working. Help....:cry: xx

Well, you need to ask yourself If you really want it to work. I know its hard, you get really disheartened, but you need to think positive!!:hug:

Why woun't they let you advertise yourself? If that was me, I would not have taken the room in the first place on that basis, it just doesn't make sense. Talk to them again, men have beauty treatments too you know!!:lol:

What about an A-board outside of the street? Is there lots of passing trade? I'd been standing outside on the street with flyers handing them out! Talking to people, what about an introductory offer?

Get posters up in all the local take-aways, places where people have to wait for things, ask pubs if they mind you putting them on the backs of the doors in ladies loos. Put flyers on the car windscreens at the local supermarket.

Offer to do talks & little file and polish for local girls groups like rainbows or brownies, give them an emery board wrapped in a flyers to take home to mum, do referal offers for local slimming groups, keep fit/yoga classes.

Just get your name out there, once you draw in a handful of clients, if your are good at what you do, word of mouth will do the rest.

Good luck and remember, postitive thinking, good things come to those who wait!!:lol:

Sorry to hear that its not going well for you Jenny.
I do agree with Lisa above but also can you not investigate salons elsewhere before deciding what to do for definite? Is there any salons that need a nail tech and are more centrally placed than the one you are in at the mo and will let you advertise?

Also do you have a contract with where you work at the mo? If so will you lose out if you leave before your contract ends? If not then maybe try somewhere else that at least if it is more centrally placed then you may have some more clients. Also do all the advertising as mentioned above or see if another salon would include you in their advertising that they do for themselves anyway.
I dont know that much about it as I am new to this but I hope this has helped!
Gail
x

Hi Jenny

I rent space in a salon and would not do so if I was not allowed to advertise my services! I seriously think you need to sit down and talk to the person who is renting space to you and explain that you HAVE to be able to advertise your business for it to grow and if they refuse to allow you to do this then I would give in your notice. They must surely understand that this is a necessity for not only your business to grow but theirs as well because hopefully you should both be able to help each other with potential new clients!
As mentioned in one of the other posts many men now request manicures and waxing and if they have had a good experience in the hair salon will most probably tell their partners about ladies treatments offered upstairs.
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Caroline x

Latest posts

Back