Dreaded red!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotommo

Reaction score
hi
i absolutly hate it when someone wants to go red!!
my client (friend) is at the minute tinted black 3/0 and a bleached slice in the fringe.. her hair is short so not in bad condition, anyway she wants to go full head red.
she wants a deep red yano the the one everyone seems to have at the min.. i'm dreading already coz of having to strip it first and good old root glow to worry about :cry:
any suggestions of a nice colour to use?? i use wella but find they always come up quite orangy,,,, :irked:
thanks alot guys

ps.. scottydolly if your on pls help your advice has always been great xxx

i know...scotty has not been around so much lately.... :(

what kinda red do you mean? i did a 44/66 on my friend who is a base 4, had a good bit of roots and some old tint in it, i just decided to put it on all over and see how it worked out, i did 1/8 44/0 and 1/2 44/66 and the colour was really even. but if you are having to lighten it it might be a bit of a nightmare...how light does she wanna go?

well about a 4-5. not that light, i'm only gonna strip it minimal coz her roots will be prob an inch if not more!!
i think if we stay darkish it'll be pretty even:rolleyes:
do you know what shade 55/46 is?? can't think of top of my head???
sure it's a red though??!!?? xx
thank you xxxx

well the 4 in 55/46 is a copper red tone so if you are worried about orange then it might not be the best...your 6 is a violet (i think) but the major tone is the 4 so it will be kinda coppery...i do like it thought :) what about 44/65? i did 55/65 on someone the other day and she had some chunky bleach highlights we were covering up and because it was colour touch it came up really nice...need to remember the bleach bit will prob go a bit brighter but should be really nice. tried to talk to you on the chat bit but i don't know if it is working or not...

what about using majicontrast, I have used them with reallt good results, they have a couple of nice reds and they are formulated for colouring dark hair, I think id 3/4, and i'm sure they are also formulated to go over pre tinted hair too, just use with a lesser peroxide, have a look on the majirel site tht x oh and you wouldnt have to srtip it either x

what about using majicontrast, I have used them with reallt good results, they have a couple of nice reds and they are formulated for colouring dark hair, I think id 3/4, and i'm sure they are also formulated to go over pre tinted hair too, just use with a lesser peroxide, have a look on the majirel site tht x oh and you wouldnt have to srtip it either x
thanks i did think of that but i just know she has like 45 layers of black tint on she has done at home:irked: i know they lift tint but not sure they would get through that lol xx

I would colour strip it up until about 6 if you can, then go with 55/05 C.T+ with a bit of mixtone, or KP 6/5 with some 0/45 mixtone and maybe a bit of 0/65, or 55/65.
I would also stay away from the copper as Kimi has already said :hug:
Colour strips usually leave the hair with enough copper tones in it already, so I would try for violet red
Just be careful after stripping it that you don't go too dark with it, it's best to go a shade lighter and then have to do it again, rather than risking the hair sucking it in and it being too dark as you've just have done the solour strip for nothing:eek:
I love colour corrections! In my new salon no1 gets anything drastic done :cry:
Let us know how it goes x

hi
i absolutly hate it when someone wants to go red!!
my client (friend) is at the minute tinted black 3/0 and a bleached slice in the fringe.. her hair is short so not in bad condition, anyway she wants to go full head red.
she wants a deep red yano the the one everyone seems to have at the min.. i'm dreading already coz of having to strip it first and good old root glow to worry about :cry:
any suggestions of a nice colour to use?? i use wella but find they always come up quite orangy,,,, :irked:
thanks alot guys

ps.. scottydolly if your on pls help your advice has always been great xxx

Hi, does she want a red colour like this one below ?

PureVirginHairExtensions006.jpg

If so ..... you could perform some test pieces first to see if you can lift the darker parts of the hair just to a deep burnt orange
perhaps using a mild bleach and pastel
or strip the back out with a bleach shampoo .... don't let it get past orange ( you can always wash off and go back in with mild bleach again)

then (depending on what base she is )
do the roots last ........ once again you want a deep burnt orange like the rest
of the hair

when you have a nice deep burnt orange base , then you could use a semi permanent fudge colour (cherry bomb ) or a stargazer in (red wine )
these semi permanent reds will take really great over a deep orange base
the above pic was stargazer red wine over a deep burnt orange base
and the client can always refresh the red semi at home
hth :hug: x minky

Ps..... the bleached white strip needs to be made deep orange too first before making it red ...... or it will turn pink

Hi, does she want a red colour like this one below ?

PureVirginHairExtensions006.jpg

If so ..... you could perform some test pieces first to see if you can lift the darker parts of the hair just to a deep burnt orange
perhaps using a mild bleach and pastel
or strip the back out with a bleach shampoo .... don't let it get past orange ( you can always wash off and go back in with mild bleach again)

then (depending on what base she is )
do the roots last ........ once again you want a deep burnt orange like the rest
of the hair

when you have a nice deep burnt orange base , then you could use a semi permanent fudge colour (cherry bomb ) or a stargazer in (red wine )
these semi permanent reds will take really great over a deep orange base
the above pic was stargazer red wine over a deep burnt orange base
and the client can always refresh the red semi at home
hth :hug: x minky

Ps..... the bleached white strip needs to be made deep orange too first before making it red ...... or it will turn pink

minky you are a freaking legend, great idea, much more staright forward to what i was thinkin lol

i was thinking i'll defo have to prepig the fringe copper or something, think i'll do that while the rest is bleaching up!!
you've made my life easier mrs, thanks alot xxxx:hug:

it went fine minky followed your advice, the only prob was her fringe was so porous it just wouldn't grab so stayed copperry, looked nice though and she was fine about it, thanks xx

Hi i would use a 55/65 with some base shade of a 5/0, so you won't get much root glow. The 55/65 is a lovely colour. Also in our salon we use colour condition they are fantastic for reds, as reds fade so quick! the colour conditioners will hold the colour in for alot longer.

Hi i would use a 55/65 with some base shade of a 5/0, so you won't get much root glow. The 55/65 is a lovely colour. Also in our salon we use colour condition they are fantastic for reds, as reds fade so quick! the colour conditioners will hold the colour in for alot longer.

thanks this was a while ago now, i did it really nice
BUT she has dyed over it again herself BLACK :eek:
some people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back