Driving test in own car?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

british.jem

Reaction score
So i've finally booked my driving test for next month :Scared:

I have my own car, and have learnt in that car. I know it inside out and love driving it. So right now i'm just polishing up on how the examiner would want me to drive. Push/pull steering etc.

I am pretty sure you can take the test in your own car. I'm 100% positive I've seen it something. I know I need to display an extra mirror for the examiner which i already have. The car needs to have MOT/TAX/Insurance etc. Which it does. But do i need to let them know before hand that its my own car and not the instructors? Obviously they wont expect it to have dual pedals for their footwells? I just don't want to psych myself up to the test and then have a problem with it being my own car. (I know how to drive but am soooooooo nervous for the test:Scared:)

Anyone have any experiance with taking it in your own car? Sorry I've babbled on a bit... can you tell i am nervous haha!

I remember being told you can use your own car but when they inspect it if they see anything wrong with it you fail immediately.

Thank you for your reply. I have just managed to find a link with things your car MUST have in order to be used. And thankfully it seems to be ticking all the right boxes for that.

I passed my test in my own car, my dad taught me to drive and I passed first time, just make sure it checks off against the list of necessary requirements, good luck xxx

ballyboo - Thats awesome! I was a little worried i hadn't had training for an instructor. But i know myself. And my mum knows exactly how to handle me and was the best person to teach me. Its great to hear a success story being taught by a parent. :)

I passed my 5th driving test in my own car, by the 5th time I couldn't afford to use the instructors car anymore lol. I flirted right through my test, final resort as I was gona give up after test no 5!! 😃

ha-ha lol. I'm glad you passed in the end :)

I took my test in my own car and passed first time. As you say just go through your check list and away you go. I was so much more comfortable in my own car, switched to using my own car during the middle of my driving lessons, my fab driving instructor had a fiesta to begin with which i loved, but then changed to a peugeot... which didnt love me haha. Hubby took me out in my car in between lessons so made sense to switch and take my test. Less than 24 hours before my test the bloody passenger seatbelt broke, luckily found a garage for the next day to fix it first thing, took my 2 hour driving lesson, got home to find my house up ended- hubby couldnt find my driving license!! Eventually looked in our little boys room and found it in his mcqueen ride along car... clearly he thought he needed it. Nothing like a bit of stress to add to your nerves haha. Still I passed first time in my little motor and then year or so later I sold my car to fund my training and business... 18 months on with the profit from my business at xmas this year I bought another car and loving the freedom of it.

Good luck for your test honey xxx

Hi my hubby is a driving instructor and says yes you can as long as the car ticks all the boxes as you said!

Obviously you'll have mot insurance etc but don't forget things like head rests, bulbs, tyre pressures and tread depth it's worth checking all a couple of days in advance and then again the morning of your test as you never know and that gives you time to get things sorted if needs be!
Another little tip - aim to arrive at the test center around 10-15 mins before your time (no earlier) as the examiners get cross if you're in the way! Make sure that L plates are not in your windows and are securely fastened to your car. Then lastly make sure you reverse into the bay at the test center so you can drive straight out!

Hope that helps - best of luck, let us know how you do! X

I did my test in my own car. Don't think I needed any other mirrors. It was a brand new when I bought it and didn't even think if checking the car out I was so preoccupied with making sure I did everything right. Passed second time but car was absolutely fine both times. Good luck! Xx

Just check with the test centre to see if any cars have issues. I planned to do my 3rd test in my own peugot 206 because my driving instructor was on holiday, he failed to mention to me that these cars had recent recall issues and to be able to do my test in it, I needed a letter from the garage saying the recall issue had been dealt with, because I didn't have this letter, the examiner refused to take me out, thus wasting my money. There were notices all over the test centre about this, I can't imagine how my instructor overlooked this, but he did, needless to say, I sacked him!

I did my test in my own car, both times. I always felt more comfortable than in my instructors car, and found it less nerve wracking to have my dad waiting atthe test centre for me.
The only downside was that I stalled... and the car wouldn't start. It chose that day to have a sticky starter motor!
Best of luck with your driving test :) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back