Dry ridged nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesuislouise

Reaction score
Hey everyone hope you're all having a good day.

Have just finished up with a client who's been coming to me for Shellac for about 8 weeks now, she previously was going to a NSS place in town getting shellac/gel which was being drilled off.

Since coming to me we've been working on the condition of her nails, starting with Solar Oil, lots and lot of Solar Oil! I've stressed the importance of using Solar Oil, and not picking her shellac off but letting me remove it properly for her.

Her nails tend to last the full 2 weeks (with the help of Protein Bond) although I feel it would last much better if her nails were in better condition. Since coming to me they have marginally improved but not as much as I had hoped.

I have attached a picture so you guys can see her nail after a removal, they're very dry and rigged. The main offenders seem to be her pinkie and ring fingers, although all are affected in some way. What do you guys think?
IMG_2015.JPG

Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg sorry, didn't realise that would come out so huge!!

That's damage from poor removal techniques which needs to grow out. Do you use IBX. That will help fix the problems and support the nail until the damage grows out.

CND have a new product out called rescue rx which I believe helps even more than solar oil for damaged nails. You could get her one of those

CND have a new product out called rescue rx which I believe helps even more than solar oil for damaged nails. You could get her one of those
IBX & RescueRxx both fantastic products

Incorrect removal has caused this. You can see where layers of her natural nail have been removed. How are you taking it off? For the nail ridges, theres many reasons for that. It's common in the more matured ladies.

Incorrect removal has caused this. You can see where layers of her natural nail have been removed. How are you taking it off? For the nail ridges, theres many reasons for that. It's common in the more matured ladies.

I take her Shellac off as per the CND way - nourishing remover on cotton wool in tin foil for 8 minutes and then flake off with a orange wood stick. Her nails were like this before she came to me as the place she went to before would use an electric drill to get the gel off! Thanks, the ridges may well be that then!!

Thanks everyone I will feed back to her and have a look into IBX & RescueRxx!

I refuse to flake the shellac off using an orange wood stick. I know its the recommended way but i just dont like it. After soaking, i remove what i can with a dampened lint free wipe then remove the rest with a 240grit white block. I find this way is less harsh on the nail. That is just my opinion though.

Oh i forgot to add, there is a drill bit specifically for gel polishes so is fine to use. I know young nails sell one, not sure of any other brands so if the correct drill bit was used, its fine. :)

Oh i forgot to add, there is a drill bit specifically for gel polishes so is fine to use. I know young nails sell one, not sure of any other brands so if the correct drill bit was used, its fine. :)

Oh ok I never knew there was something specifically for gels! Thanks for your help! Not entirely sure what the other place did then to get them in this state but I just want to help her get them healthy again :)

I too don't use an orange wood stick, I just use the plastic back cotton pads and nourishing Remover to scrub off what's left of the colour coat /Base coat.

Latest posts

Back